Private or state?

(4 Posts)
changesahoy Tue 03-Sep-13 22:54:28

May I start the old age debate? : ).

I have just returned from teaching in a private school abroad. I have also taught in state schools. Now I am back in the UK I am at a crossroads and am deciding whether to apply for teaching positions in a state school or private school. I would be teaching key stage 1.

We are lucky to have some lovely state schools around here and also some good private schools. I am aiming at a management position in the next few years.

Just wondered if anyone has any words of wisdom for me. Perhaps from people who have taught in both. I would greatly appreciate any sharing of experiences.

Thank you!

I have only ever taught in state schools, but based on the number if applicants for the 2 jobs we advertised last term you may want to apply for both sectors! I guess that it depends where abouts I the country you are, in Suffolk there are lots of teachers chasing the jobs on offer in primary schools (although that ay be a local blip due to changes in the system!).

I hope you find something that suits you, best of luck with your job hunting!

puffinnuffin Tue 17-Sep-13 21:59:30

I have taught in both (currently private). To be honest it is all swings and roundabouts. Both have advantages and disadvantages and really depends on each individual school and their management team.

GW297 Thu 19-Sep-13 22:30:37

I would apply to both if I were you. I prefer independent but if you want to rise to management there are more opportunities for professional development in the state sector.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now