You must be having a laugh!

(19 Posts)
happilyconfused Fri 23-Aug-13 21:03:13

I work in a large secondary with TLR so I can be a bit busy like all teachers. Neighbours kids start primary in a just over a week. Their mum has just asked if I could drop them off at the primary school every day as she has to work and by the way could I help with the pick ups a couple of days a week. Oh said I a little bit more confused than usual you know I leave the house at 7.30 and get back at 6ish.confused Oh said she I thought you were just trying to beat the traffic I then get 15 minutes jibber jabber about how child care is expensive and she did know what do.

Almost collapsed when she asked me to child mind during the holidays. I'm not that desperate luv, says I.

Blardy hell the cheek of it.

Ahhhh...but you know we all just work the hours that the children are in class grin

And surely you don't mind a bit of childminding as it would be really easy in comparison to teaching 30 all day....

<deep breaths>

happilyconfused Fri 23-Aug-13 22:43:36

It beggars belief that with just over a week to go she has not sorted anything out and had just assumed that I would drop them off at 8.40 which would give me time to get to my school by 9.05 as I do not have a form. So clearly she thinks I have some sort of transport that involves time travel given the amount of traffic on the road.

And as for her job being more important than mine. No it blardy well is not!

Sorry on my high horse at the moment. Another neighbour asked me tutor her daughter in exchange for a bottle of Pinot every week as mates rates and then told her friends. One of them asked if her daughter could have some tutoring but she is only available on Sun morning for the same deal. Sling your hook was my response to both of them I do not do tutoring and if I did then it is £35 per hour for A level.

The sodding cheek of it. I know I am a public sector worker but really ..., only one bottle of wine maybe a case of something that is not cooking wine. grin

Roll on the start of term and I am back into my best Ms Hardbroom outfit none of those mothers will dare cross my path

I think my personal favourite is when people want you to give advice about their DCs education, while at the pub/ eating Sunday lunch together/ while your children play together....

I have noticed that this became worse when I became a SENCo as now lots of people want to have me 'diagnose' whatever might be causing a problem.

Love my job, just would like people to realise I do have other parts of my life too.

GetStuffezd Sat 24-Aug-13 12:21:54

Fairly breath taking rudeness!

When I visit my family big get-togethers (220 miles away, twice a year or so) all the mums say to their toddlers/kids "go and play with Stuff - she's a teacher!"

Casually ignoring the fact that I might quite like to have a drink and a bit of adult company!

happilyconfused Wed 28-Aug-13 16:43:31

Awkward. Neighbour has asked DS if he could drop her kids off at school. Bless him, DS politely grunted no as he has to catch train at 8.30. He barely gets to the station on time when he only has himself to sort out. Now I have to warn DD just in case she gets approached. Neighbour's kids start school next week and the drops offs and pick ups are still not sorted out.

colander Wed 28-Aug-13 20:56:56

Wow. I just can't believe she first of all had the cheek to ask you and then when you said no to approach your kids!

I must have lovely friends and neighbours - all I get asked to do is the odd passport every now and then.

Panzee Wed 28-Aug-13 21:06:30

I've read this twice and just noticed that the,children don't even go to your school! What an absolute cheek!

Ruprekt Wed 28-Aug-13 21:09:10

Lol at this! So rude.....smilesmilesmile

mrspaddy Wed 28-Aug-13 21:16:33

Never heard the like.. Cheek of them.. Have had some cheeky offers to tutor for pittance...

You deserve a bottle of vino just to get over the shock of the offer..What a joke.

Smartiepants79 Wed 28-Aug-13 21:26:09

Bloody hell. Even if you were a stay at home Mum and dropping off your own children at the same school this is VERY presumptuous and rude.
Idiot.

KatyPutTheCuttleOn Mon 02-Sep-13 09:25:06

I once got asked if I would do their children's party for £10 - two hours of sorting out party games in a children's hall. No thanks!

Euphemia Mon 02-Sep-13 21:54:36

So what did she arrange?!

RandomMess Mon 02-Sep-13 21:56:46

shock

noisytoys Mon 02-Sep-13 22:03:05

This is shocking surely by now she would have sorted childcare

happilyconfused Wed 04-Sep-13 21:33:49

Not really sure but I have a suspicion that a grandparent is staying in order to help out. Surely she will have to sort out hours, use school clubs or childminders.

Redlocks30 Wed 04-Sep-13 22:09:15

What did she say when you refused, just out if interest? Was she surprised?!

What bit of her thought that just because her childcare was expensive, you should do it free!?

youarewinning Wed 04-Sep-13 22:21:53

Oh dear - you say neighbour but this woman sounds like she's on/from another planet grin

happilyconfused Thu 05-Sep-13 22:57:40

Red- she thought I only had to be at school from 9 to 3.15! Made some comment about her job being important but basically she is an office manager for an estate agent clearly teachers are below that.

The Happily tribe now just smile and wave grin the woman is mad!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now