Starting to panic

(34 Posts)
Verycold Wed 21-Aug-13 08:13:21

I am going back to teaching next week after aeons at home. It's all starting to creep up on me and I'm panicking slightly how I will cope with the workload, that my children will get completely ignored... Keep thinking "what have I done?", while at the same time pleased and proud to have been given this opportunity... Please could somebody calm me down?

sheridand Tue 03-Sep-13 16:20:35

Watching this with interest. Had 6 years out, returning as a HLTA in primary, with a view to swapping from secondary to primary. I will be watching to see how you do, ladies! Best of luck!

DancesWithWoolEnPointe Sun 01-Sep-13 10:52:13

How is everyone? My panic has suddenly increased to DefCon 5. My new job is at an Independent School, so our INSET days are on Thursday and Friday, and the kids aren't back until Monday. However the school is open from tomorrow so I can go and explore my lab and see what resources and things are available.

This is suddenly very real!

happilyconfused Sat 24-Aug-13 17:45:18

I have my planner organised with the first terms meeting already in it along with other events I have to attend, my HOY welcome assembly sorted and two weeks worth of lessons with worksheets will be finished by Wednesday. I plan to do no work on thurs - sun but will flick through it all again on Monday. It will be fine just remember the kids will be more nervous than you

twinkle1010 Sat 24-Aug-13 16:52:54

The first few weeks are always a killer but you will be fine. Like others have said you need to be as efficient as possible in the time you have but also accept that your not super woman and sometimes things just have to wait.

Im primary (and a single parent) and I work full time. You become very organised in a short space of time! I always leave school as early as possible and I very rarely stay late if there are no meetings etc. I do all my work either in my PPA or in school (i.e. lunch/before work) and then finish up when my DD is in bed.

It is manageable because of the holidays!!

fengirl1 Sat 24-Aug-13 15:38:24

Very, mark like a mad woman in any non-contact time you have. If you are reasonably experienced, the planning will come back to you very quickly, so the time on that will go down quite rapidly.
I'm secondary and we have a two week timetable. If I have a group twice on the same day, I mark half of the books in class the first lesson, and then the other half in the second lesson - a great way to get the marking done, and ensure I give verbal feedback too.
I eat school dinners, but collect them and eat them in my room while marking/planning. I go into work quite early and stay an hour every day after school. I rarely have to take any work home.
(I also write all of my planners up - dates, classes, meetings, etc in my released time at the end of the summer term and plan my initial lessons so on my return, I can deal with the practical side of collecting exercise books etc.... It's a real pleasure to know I've done as much as I can before I turn up for the PD day at the start of the autumn term.)
You'll be fine! Just pace yourself as you'll be knackered the first few weeks! smile

petalpower Sat 24-Aug-13 15:16:07

I'm sure you'll be fine Charlotte - it sounds as if you're really prepared already. 2.5 days is OK - make sure your work doesn't eat too much into your days off.

I went back full time 3 years ago, after 4 years part time. I now have quite a tight home/school timetable so that I get DS to everything on time and with the right stuff.

I don't work at all between about 6pm and 8pm so DS and DH get some attention, I get to work a bit later than others as I do the school drop off at 8am but I often reply to emails/ prepare stuff while juggling breakfast. I think that just makes me feel better if other people know that I am working in the morning!!

I am taking on a new role in September, less teaching but more whole school responsibility, I am starting to worry a bit about it.

CharlotteParks Fri 23-Aug-13 20:22:29

I'm planning on getting home, doing dinner, bath bed with them and then doing marking and planning in the evenings. I'd really like to keep my weekends as free as possible. On the 2.5 days I'm not working I'll have my youngest with me so hardly any chance of getting anything done then, so will have to be evenings instead. I haven't worked since I had the DC so this will be a really big change for all of us I think.

You're definitely not the only one, I get nervous and start to feel sick about this time every year! Every week I get 'antiques roadshow anxiety'. I teach secondary art, I'm hod and in charge of creative subjects at ks3 too, plus we have a new building this year, nothing is ready! It helps to just plan roughly the first few weeks, then the first day or two in detail, at least then you might feel more comfortable. You willbe fine though, we all get it. My dd is 3, I do what a lot of people posted above, leave earlyish, get dd to bed then work a bit more. Plan is to try to delegate more and try to make my life easier this year, I tend to take on too much...

CharlotteParks Fri 23-Aug-13 19:58:07

Petal Secondary science. I don't think it has hit me yet that it is really happening.

I've done lots of preparation and went in during June and July to teach a few lessons to get some practice which was invaluable. I hope it goes well!

Verycold Fri 23-Aug-13 10:01:39

Woke up feeling sick again... In a wat can't wait for term to start, just not to have this anxiousness anymore

petalpower Thu 22-Aug-13 22:04:08

What age group are you teaching Charlotte?

CharlotteParks Thu 22-Aug-13 18:21:30

Wow, this is the thread for me. I'm starting back in September after 5 years away and feel strangely calm about it all at the moment. I'm sure I'll have a total meltdown about it next week though.

Worried about fitting marking and planning in around home life but only doing 2.5days so should manage really.

Verycold Thu 22-Aug-13 13:22:25

Thanks colander!

colander Thu 22-Aug-13 11:44:37

Verycold - my timetable is 0.76 so only a few minutes different to yours. My two are 10 and 7, and I think they cope pretty well. There is the odd grumble when I can't attend something at school, but I do my best to make sure dh or grandparents can go. Actually, with some of the crap events it is good to have an excuse.

My youngest always sounds very proud when she says "my mum's a science teacher" and my oldest "gets" that my money pays for her school and our family holidays. I don't really think they are affected too much. I leave school as early as I can, depending on my hours that day, and do all my work in the evenings. It does mean I am often up working until midnight, but my new school year resolution is to not work quite so hard. Ha ha.

Between us we are in three different schools which causes a few problems - something like 8 or 9 days next year that I will need child care, including INSET days. My friends are fab and offer to have mine and I'm lucky enough (although it doesn't always feel like that blush ) to live quite close to my parents.

Anyway, good luck to all the returners - I had 9 years out of teaching and have been back for 4 or 5 years now.

petalpower Thu 22-Aug-13 08:15:53

I think I've been in denial about September for too long and now need to get my act together. It's all going to come round so quickly now. I keep hanging onto the thought that although we start term two weeks today (with PD days on the preceding two days days) two weeks is actually quite a long time and I just want to make the most of it. The summer has been so lovely!

missmapp Thu 22-Aug-13 08:11:42

Petalpower- that's horrible, I keep checking my work email expecting my head to do the same, but nothing yet luckily.

I am enjoying the calm state of my mind so much, and am in denial about sept! This is why I like teaching, I start each Sept feeling positive and happy- now how long will that feeling last this year ????

petalpower Thu 22-Aug-13 08:04:40

I'm starting to panic slightly. Have been back PT then FT for the past 4 years now. I had really good intentions of being uber-prepared for this term, but instead have had a lovely chilled out holiday with my DC. Have just opened my work email to find emails from the HT with pre-term reading, info about twilight PD and (worst of all) the date of an observation visit from an advisor 8 days after the start of term. Argh!!

Verycold Thu 22-Aug-13 07:43:00

How is everyone this morning?

I have been awake since six, feeling sick...hmm

Verycold Wed 21-Aug-13 21:26:53

Glad to see I'm not alone.

Still rocking though! shock

DancesWithWoolEnPointe Wed 21-Aug-13 20:05:51

Can I play - I'm going back full time after being at home with DD3 for 3 years

Inclusionist Wed 21-Aug-13 19:24:05

I'm going from .6 to FT too. DS is only 3 and I'm really sad about it for him (need the money though).

From my point of view I am quite relieved because I have been trying to do a full time job (Inclusion Manager) on three days and it's been manic. Maybe in September I will be able to have my lunch some days .

missmapp Wed 21-Aug-13 16:28:20

Mine are 8 and 5. I went from 3 days to 4 days and then last year to full time.

PT to FT was hard ( sorry) but after I found a routine that worked, things got easier. However...............

It is still August ladies- relax.......................

changeforthebetter Wed 21-Aug-13 16:15:54

8 & 6

[sits down next to VeryCold and rocks to same rhythm confused]

Verycold Wed 21-Aug-13 10:00:12

[rocks back and forth]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now