Teaching unions - which one?

(29 Posts)
SDhopeful Wed 14-Aug-13 15:38:49

Am starting teacher training in Sept via School Direct unsalaried/PGCE
so have been advise to join a union. Any recommendations? I do not want to pay a political levy to Labour party.
TIA

Awakeagain Sat 24-Aug-13 08:54:00

Don't forget you get a countdown car with the nut as well
If you remember that you have it you can make a few good savings :-)

I really didnt know which to join, NUT rang with a good offer so joined then (once I started work), I'm primary and NUT and NASUWT are probably equally represented in my school, there's one ATL member who joined, any they joined the NUT members who went on strike

Join all of them as a student, then once you are employed see what the representation is like in your school

LadyMilfordHaven Mon 26-Aug-13 11:49:09

none I dont belong to any
I have my own insurance

uselessinformation Fri 30-Aug-13 21:18:12

I personally believe that if you expect the union to help you when you need them then you should support the union when a strike has been called (from a ballot by members). However, I do have a dilemma about striking for pay as I think teachers are paid a fair wage. I will strike over pensions. Arranging a school trip for a strike day can be a good idea.

SDhopeful Sat 31-Aug-13 14:36:07

I want to be part of a profession where a union is a group of people who want to use their collective voice of experience to improve the quality of education, part of which is ensuring sensible working conditions for those who teach. I don't want to be a sheeple driven by an ideologue hijacking the agenda to score narrow political points...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now