Help!!! SEN year 10 project

(9 Posts)
fasparent Thu 22-Aug-13 01:28:55

Try Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders. Very good for awareness and the difficult life's children have who are effected with FASD and FAS.
Lots of resources at www.fasaware.co.uk.

HellesBellesThinksSometimes Wed 14-Aug-13 18:05:07

PSHE then. Suits any literacy level, relevant to all, can be broken into sessions. Be creative with how you expect students to show learning and how information is provided.
You need age appropriate content with year 4 processing and literacy levels. It exists though difficult to find. I got hold of some booklets a couple of years ago that covered friendship, sex, and puberty - all through pictures. They're at school so I can't provide any further details I'm afraid.

If I had three free days with my students, I would say pshe would be the most useful.

SheerWill Wed 14-Aug-13 17:35:34

It will have to be open ended. I know it's a pain in the backside and I have tried to contact SENCO. They've given it to me because I'm joining the school having worked in KS2, and the students are working at equivalent Y4. But I don't want to patronise them either.

HellesBellesThinksSometimes Wed 14-Aug-13 17:05:59

Ps - phone the senco - you need thst information. Also, you need to know about staffing.

HellesBellesThinksSometimes Wed 14-Aug-13 17:04:38

Use the time for pshe - series of sessions on personal health, friendships, love, sex, teen parenthood, drugs, alcohol, smoking, masturbation, online safety eg sexting, the list is endless. Often, standard pshe lessons are pitched at a higher emotional level thsn many send students can access. Add in discussing these topics with students of higher ability and confidence and it's quite typical that students with learning difficulties don't get the full benefit of pshe lessons.

daftdame Wed 14-Aug-13 17:01:59

This really is not good enough. You should know something about the individual student's capabilities when planning.

As it is you will have to plan something quite open ended, which can start off simple but which can be extended easily, may be something that can be connected with practical experience.

For example clearing up churchyard or waste ground. They could research and identify flora and fauna, make a plan how to improve the ground, do designs, interview people in the community to see what they think, think about the impact their work will have etc Do some creative writing, artwork which is based on their experiences.

SheerWill Wed 14-Aug-13 16:51:40

I haven't really been told a lot about the students. This is why it's so difficult to plan anything. The SENCO, who is my line manager, asked me to plan this project and I can't get hold of her by email to ask her any questions. It seems to be something to keep them occupied as they're not doing GCSEs and need to be kept busy for 3 days. :-/

HellesBellesThinksSometimes Wed 14-Aug-13 13:05:54

Have you been given a theme? Do the students all have mld rather than spld or pmld?

SheerWill Tue 13-Aug-13 19:28:04

Hi, I'm moving from teaching KS2 to KS3 Maths and English from Sept, but this isn't my problem. I have been asked by the SENCO and Head to plan a 3 day project for SEN year 10s (roughly Y4 standard) that can be given for them to do during the first 3 days of school. It needs to be something any member of staff can pick up with them over the 3 days. 15 periods max.

Please help!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now