If I purchase things to help dd how much of it would be a pain for the teacher?

(11 Posts)
Worriedmind Mon 15-Jul-13 18:28:19

Sorry to invade the staffroom area.
My dd has sen and is doing quite poor academically.
She has dyspraxia and sensory processing disorder.
Problems with memory, organisation, getting info from head on to paper.

Consultant recommended a laptop but teacher was not keen.

Another teacher on here recommended using a Talking Tin to help her get the info from her head on to paper.

There are pens that may help too.

But if I send this stuff in will teacher hate me?

BoundandRebound Mon 15-Jul-13 18:29:54

Go into school and meet with SENCO and teacher to discuss IEP, bring suggestions of items that might help including how they can be used. Tell them you will provide them if they will work with them and to get back to you with their plan.

LIZS Mon 15-Jul-13 18:32:26

Agree and if you have an EP and/or OT report to back up the recommendations so much the better. Do they stay in one room by in large or move around lot ? Laptop use could be an issue otherwise and she needs to be able to touch type first.

Worriedmind Mon 15-Jul-13 18:35:23

They stay in one room, its for year six.

They were not keen on the laptop and I understand that, they were worried it would be fiddled with or messed around on instead of doing work or cause problems.

New teacher is not in currently so cannot speak to them so it will have to wait till first week back.

LIZS Mon 15-Jul-13 18:43:18

SENCO?

mais Mon 15-Jul-13 19:03:32

I have had a student with dyspraxia use one of these Neo2 to type written assignments which were then printed, if that's of any help. It was durable enough, made for being transported around in a schoolbag.
Although if it has been recommended that your child use a laptop then the school should try and facilitate that. Perhaps an iPad would be useful, you can get very sturdy cases for them and you can lock it so that there is only access to whatever apps/note taking software needed for school.

Worriedmind Mon 15-Jul-13 19:15:51

Going to try and pin senco down this week.
One of those would be good as it would stop any chance of playing rather than work!

I too have a pupil who uses a Neo2 (he's dyslexic & dyspraxic). It's rugged, basic and dull enough to be secure! It saves everything automatically to one of 8 files.

An ipad would be more flexible though, if it's more an issue of the barrier between brain and paper. She could write, draw, mind map notes... and she can only play if it has games on it. Something like Popplet maybe?

Worriedmind Tue 16-Jul-13 12:13:51

I thought about an ipad, are they easy for the teacher to print work from though? (never used it for that kind of thing) can you get mini keyboards for them?
Cannot see school going for it at all but worth a try!

mais Tue 16-Jul-13 22:55:23

Once you have wi-Fi it's easy enough I think, I have an app epson iprint which allows me to print to my epson printer. Printer needs to be a wifi one though too.
Alternatively work coud be emailed to teacher who could print then if needed.

sashh Sun 28-Jul-13 03:11:08

Have you considered an Alphasmart? It's a word processor but not a computer so no option to mess around. And they are very light and cost £100 - £200

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AlphaSmart

portabletechnology.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=21&gclid=CLnc1PuN0bgCFSGWtAodBUkAiw

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now