Lesson observation 10 days before the end of term?

(17 Posts)
petalpower Fri 05-Jul-13 21:24:57

Somebody please come and say something soothing and comforting. I've just found out today that I've got an observation next week, 10 days before the end of term. HT messed up by not including me in the schedule and has suddenly sprung it on me. I'm knackered, the kids are grouchy - how am I going to pull it out of the bag? I can feel the stressed knot in my stomach coming back sad

saadia Sat 06-Jul-13 05:31:00

So unfair, just when things should be winding down. Are you primary or secondary?

mycatoscar Sat 06-Jul-13 06:03:24

Don't worry, which lesson is it? Maybe we can help? Primary or secondary? Which year?

I got observed yesterday, year 6 history - so sort of in the same position with children who are ready to leave. It went fine because it was something they were into.

Also think about what your dev points were from last lesson and make sure you address them really obviously. And refer to L.O and previous learning lots too smile

13loki Sat 06-Jul-13 06:35:57

My HOD thought he would observe me 5 days before the end of the year, with my class who knew that grades had been set, were leaving the school forever, and were well aware we were babysitting ( 16 year olds, not UK). I luckily felt I could say no.

What year, what lesson?

englishteacher78 Sat 06-Jul-13 06:48:00

I'm being observed on the last Tuesday of term. It was the best possibility. I'm lucky in that my students like to show just how clever they are to any visitor.

petalpower Sat 06-Jul-13 07:03:33

It's Year 2/3 literacy. I'm doing explanation texts. Thanks for all your posts everyone. It feels like I've got to get my head round it this weekend and make sure I'm really well planned even though it's not until the middle of next week. It was sports day last night (in the evening), then the music concert (my responsibility) and parents evening next week too. No chance of winding down yet.

englishteacher78 Sat 06-Jul-13 07:19:47

Explanation texts can be fun. If you want to share your ideas for chat/hand holding that's what we're here for.

SweepTheHalls Sat 06-Jul-13 07:27:09

We have a year scrutiny next week. Any of my year 10 lessons could be observed, and books called for hmm

petalpower Sat 06-Jul-13 07:28:33

We've been looking explaining how machines work and have particularly looked at Wallace and Gromit's Cracking Inventions. Concentrated on note taking and time words the writing an explanation. Now moving onto other machines using the text 'Until I Met Dudley' to give silly explanations then real ones. Have ability range 2c to 3a and some high profile behavioural pupils. Argh!!

petalpower Sat 06-Jul-13 07:29:43

Sounds like a few of us are in the same boat at the moment.. Year scrutiny sounds particularly grim.

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Sat 06-Jul-13 07:32:33

I had an observation this week, at 32 weeks pregnant. Luckily with a lovely group. You have my sympathies - hope it goes well.

petalpower Sat 06-Jul-13 07:51:37

Thank you myname - poor you at 32 weeks pregnant in the heat! I don't know why anyone in SLT thinks that a lesson ob at this time of year is representative of you or the pupils.

storynanny Sun 07-Jul-13 23:08:31

Not sure what SLT think about when planning obs schedule. I had an obs 2 weeks before the end of summer term 2 years ago, which was 2 weeks before I commenced my early retirement!

storynanny Sun 07-Jul-13 23:08:55

Hope it goes well

petalpower Mon 08-Jul-13 21:14:34

Thank you - I just want it to be over now!

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Mon 08-Jul-13 21:47:12

Good luck Petal, will be thinking of you.

petalpower Mon 08-Jul-13 22:45:58

Thank you myname - stressing a bit now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now