How exhausted are you all?

(68 Posts)
petalpower Wed 26-Jun-13 22:19:26

On a scale of 1-10 just how exhausted are all you teachers at the moment? Every colleague (primary and secondary) I speak to is jus about dead on their feet. Why is it so bad for us at the moment? I think I'm a good 8.5 on the scale at the moment!

mignonette Fri 28-Jun-13 21:33:24

I have worked in Nurse Ed and one of my sibs is a teacher as well as my two closest friends of thirty years. I do know. I am not seeking to cause unpleasantness but I am seeing a lack of perspective and my teacher friends/relatives are the first to acknowledge this. Many many people work those hours all year round. They really do. My day starts at 7 after being on call two nights per week. I finish at half six then have notes to write up, professional education to legally keep up with, meetings and reviews involving driving across the country if one of my clients is in a prison/special hospital out of area and i get nothing in lieu nor payment for these travel hours....DH works longer hours with no holiday cover at all. Perspective sorely required.

Arisbottle Fri 28-Jun-13 21:34:04

Why are you hiding the topic Marian?

Although of course if she has hidden it she can't reply. grin

Arisbottle Fri 28-Jun-13 21:34:50

I have perspective mignonette, lots of people work harder than me and I have no desire to join them.

Arisbottle Fri 28-Jun-13 21:35:45

I really hope lots of people are not routinely working from 5am unti midnight, I only do that every now and again because I have long holidays in which I get to be my real lazy self.

justaweeone Fri 28-Jun-13 21:39:18

Ever thought about the support staff in schools?
Just saying ......

Arisbottle Fri 28-Jun-13 21:41:36

I am sure they work harder than me too and they don't always have the holidays and tend to earn less.

petalpower Fri 28-Jun-13 22:08:41

I really thought that this would be a 'blimey, it's a bit knackering out there in classroomland at the moment' type thread with other teachers. I don't think anyone's said that it's the hardest working profession above any other.

mignonette Fri 28-Jun-13 22:21:36

It's not the hierarchy of hard-working-ness I am really alluding too. Its just the lack of proportion about just how hard you really have it and a sense of proportion regarding what real exhaustion is like. Real exhaustion when there is no light at the end of the tunnel, no safety net of 6-8 weeks off (plus all the other holidays)..

You really do not have it that bad...

Arisbottle Fri 28-Jun-13 22:38:44

I don't think teachers have it bad and you will never see me saying we do, if I thought teachers had a raw deal would do a different job. Most teachers have qualifications and a skillset that means we have choices, so why would we choose to be taken advantage of?

roughtyping Sat 29-Jun-13 08:22:41

This is ridiculous. Are teachers not allowed to be tired? Are we not allowed to have a moan in case someone else in the world is worse off than us? That is not a good path to go down. I don't understand the hostility that can be shown towards teachers. This, as OP rightly pointed out, is the staff room topic - for teachers.

This is my third day off grin. Keep going, English teachers - soon you will have your amazing holidays wink

petalpower Sat 29-Jun-13 17:51:58

Well said Roughtyping - thank you.

MissAnnersley Sat 29-Jun-13 18:02:23

I am exhausted, definitely at 10. Broke up on Thursday. I've slept all afternoon and am jangling now. I'll be in school most of next week catching up on paper work.
I honestly feel a bit ill but will get my energy back soon.

bulby Sat 29-Jun-13 18:13:30

Comparing teachers to a physical job such as being a builder is a bit unfair and as others have pointed put, this is 'the staff room' . I think teaching makes me more emotionally tired- I've been

bulby Sat 29-Jun-13 18:15:29

Whoops .... I've been on the verge of tears all week. Not because I'm sad about anything but because I'm exhausted. Roll on 3 weeks and 2 days time!

mercibucket Sat 29-Jun-13 18:26:35

just started my hols and spent today feeling really ill

its the build up to any holiday that does it

Feenie Sat 29-Jun-13 18:52:31

Can I suggest that if you don't fancy reading a thread about how tired teachers may or may not be, three weeks before the end of the year, that you don't enter the fucking staff room?

Just a thought.

justaweeone Sat 29-Jun-13 21:57:09

Why don't we have a thread about my job is much more rubbish,than yours and how stressful it is,etc etc......
All job have their plus and minus points
I fairness in a school enviroment you all have the same time off a well as all the same end of terms etc so everything is heightened

justaweeone Sat 29-Jun-13 21:58:38

Jobs
In
Waiting for a green pen

I'm definitely at 8 and there's still 3 weeks to go! confused DH is dead on his feet too. We are sound asleep by 10pm most nights and even on Friday this week.

englishteacher78 Sat 29-Jun-13 22:07:02

I'm about a 9. My DH is still getting used to me bringing home back - he thinks I work too hard. He is a policeman doing shift work. Long hours but he gets to leave work at work!

ninah Sat 29-Jun-13 22:15:15

the big plus that mignonette's dh has is controlling his own destiny, as opposed to being steered by the random and often conflicting winds of destiny, SLT initiatives, the LEA, Ofsted, HMI ...

HumphreyCobbler Sat 29-Jun-13 22:20:01

I really can't get over the fact that people come into this topic to have a go. Nowhere does it say that teachers are more tired than everyone else, just that they are tired. As I always was when reaching the end of the summer term.

Stellarpunk Sat 29-Jun-13 22:22:33

(checks location) - this is the staffroom isn't it?

Wind yer neck back in mignonette. Thank you. grin

englishteacher78 Sat 29-Jun-13 22:25:27

grin

ninah Sat 29-Jun-13 22:25:27

I'm now at a 6. But that's because I am just about to become part time, and I've had half a bottle of red. I was asleep before my dc last night. I've done quite a few different jobs and this is definitely one of the most tiring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now