Working 0.4 contract, no ppa so far this academic year. What can I do?

(4 Posts)
willchooseanamelater Tue 25-Jun-13 20:36:13

Hi,

I've been working 2 days per week in a primary school since September. I'd started teaching again after a few years away from it so perhaps wasn't as 'on the ball' as I should have been, and didn't realise I'm entitled to PPA until I had a conversation with someone in a similar role a few weeks ago. This other person has had a 10% PPA allowance payed throughout the year instead of allocated PPA time. Can I ask for similar and ask for it to be backdated to last September? Would the school legally be able to refuse?

noblegiraffe Tue 25-Jun-13 23:02:03

You can certainly ask for it and expect to get it. Whether they will backdate it I don't know. But I'd certainly get a union rep on the case.

You most certainly should have been getting 10% PPA time! Or paid for it if it was nominally happening on another day. Talk to your Head ASAP and take Union advice.

Get what's owed :-)

willchooseanamelater Thu 27-Jun-13 16:27:19

Thanks for the replies. I'm hoping that they will agree to backdate it. Can't work out at the moment if it's a genuine oversight on their part or whether they just thought I wouldn't notice! My post was only for 1 year so need to get the ball rolling before I leave.
Wish me luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now