Worried that 35 will be too old for an NQT

(30 Posts)
ShadeofViolet Sun 16-Jun-13 16:17:08

After reading a few of the threads on here over the last few days.

I am 30 in a few months and have just about finished my first year of my part time degree, which is 5 years plus a years PGCE.

Will I be too old for a secondary NQT?

bigTillyMint Fri 28-Jun-13 17:14:36

I have had a fabulous PGCE student for the past 3 weeks. She is 34 and will make a fantastic NQT aged 35.

You have at least 30 working years ahead of you still!shock

changeforthebetter Fri 28-Jun-13 22:24:13

Noth - yes, but please acknowledge there is a difference between tidying/washing for an adult or two and the general mayhem of primary school bags full of spellings, letters, "artwork", sibling rivalry, party invites, lunch bags to clean and refill, uniform to prepare..........

MrsSalvoMontalbano Sun 30-Jun-13 16:21:35

not to mention the fact that a DC will chirp up 5 mins before leaving for school to tell you they need an aadvark costume for assembly that morning....

Habbibu Wed 03-Jul-13 22:13:46

Oh, phew. Glad to read this thread. I'm applying for pgde in Oct, and if I get on, will be 43 when I start NQT year.

OttilieKnackered Thu 04-Jul-13 07:40:41

You absolutely will not be too old. Think the oldest person on my PGCE a few years ago was in his very late 40s. Still up to 20 years to teach.

However, can we stop the younger teacher bashing, please? I pretty much went from school to college to university to teaching. I also had a variety of terrible part time jobs to support myself. Retail, industrial cleaning, catering, some childcare. I do know what the 'real world' is like. I also have plenty of friends in other jobs of many types who share their experiences with me.

I've never understood why teaching is considered by some not to be in this 'real world'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now