Reception Class - Teaching the Water Cycle - help please!

(14 Posts)
INeedtoDrinkLess Sat 15-Jun-13 14:10:15

I have volunteered (why oh why?) to teach the water cycle to 60 Reception children in the school hall next week. I am a secondary school Geography teacher so know the content but not sure how to bring it down to the correct level for 5 year olds. I have a 15 minute slot.

Any good ideas about how to do it? I can show a ppt, and I believe there are speakers in the Hall. Originally thought it would be to one class in their classroom so thought I might be able to get all the children 'doing something' (what??!) but bit more concerned about 60 of them, even though their class teachers and the TAs will be there.

Does anybody have any bright ideas please?

insancerre Sat 15-Jun-13 14:16:20

I would say that a powerpoint for 5 years might be a bit ambitious, as they would probably benefit more from a more 'hands-on' approach
as the chinese proverb goes
I hear and I forget
I see and I remember
I do and I understand
you need something practical (realises that this post has not been that helpful)
apart from bumping it
grin

INeedtoDrinkLess Sat 15-Jun-13 14:18:18

thanks for the bump

yes, agree, something practical but 60 kids???!!!

Eyesunderarock Sat 15-Jun-13 14:18:49

grin

They need to touch and feel and dramatise what happens. First the sea/clouds/rain/stream river back to the sea knowledge, with a bit of sequencing and consecutive chanting, and an action for each stage.
I'd do it through a drama carousel, so that every child got the chance to be each part of the cycle, with music as an aid.
Then back to the chant/action.
But a powerpoint alone?

INeedtoDrinkLess Sat 15-Jun-13 14:19:36

Last time I volunteered I did something on Australia and took in lots of props - that worked well.

Props for the water cycle anyone?

INeedtoDrinkLess Sat 15-Jun-13 14:21:25

Eyesunderarock

Nice idea, have you done this yourself? If so, what actions?! What music?

Startail Sat 15-Jun-13 14:24:45

Kettle, mirror/piece of cold glass.

DD1 just about got why car windows misted up at 5, but rather you than me grin

Eyesunderarock Sat 15-Jun-13 14:27:38

Action for
the sea,
evaporation,
cloud formation and moving
precipitation
streams
back to the sea.

Make 'em up so that you are comfortable and confident with the sequence yourself.
The music you'd have to find, preferably without words. Piano or harp are quite good at a watery image.
Split the children into groups, make sure that your LO and SC are clear to the adults at least, be clear in your head before the session what you want them to do rather than faffing around, Reception can go off-piste faster than the speed of thought.

INeedtoDrinkLess Sat 15-Jun-13 14:28:34

Startail Yes I would do that in a secondary classroom, terrified of health and safety in a primary environment - not going anywhere near a kettle until my (well-earned!) cup of tea at the end!

I think I've bitten off far more than I can chew here, no wonder the teachers suggested I did this topic!!

Eyesunderarock- currently playing Handel's water music - not sure that's going to work is it??!!

Eyesunderarock Sat 15-Jun-13 14:30:53

No point in a kettle for 60 children, they can't see it all at once and the sea doesn't boil does it?

Oh, the fun you will have OP!

INeedtoDrinkLess Sat 15-Jun-13 14:31:30

Got to take DS to two back to back birthday parties now, please please please keep the ideas coming in!

Thanks to eyesunderarock, that sounds great though utterly terrifying. Might well try it though grin

sassytheFIRST Sat 15-Jun-13 14:33:10

I'm secondary English but done quite a bit of primary supply.

Ask that they wear pe kit if poss.

Split into 3 groups. One group is the river and wiggle along floor on their bellies one by one until they reach the sea (line of masking tape on floor) at which point they stand up and twirl around, heading towards...

Point 2 - clouds. Stand on bench, waving their arms, puffed up cheeks, get them to be big and fluffy. They move along the bench till they get to the end at which point they jump off, land on a mat (ideally green - this is the hills) and curl into a ball, then roll towards the start if the river.

5 mins explaining/demonstrating, 3 mins playing, 3 mins cartoon version on YouTube (check the school can play this), 3 min q&a session to check their understanding.

Will be chaos, but fun!

sassytheFIRST Sat 15-Jun-13 14:35:34

The idea with this is that each child is continually moving towards their next point so they get the idea that the water in the system is continually changing from one state (not that vocab tho) to another.

INeedtoDrinkLess Sat 15-Jun-13 21:01:20

Just giving this a shameless bump

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now