Any primary school SENCos?

(15 Posts)

Just that really. Anyone do this job?

BackforGood Wed 12-Jun-13 22:35:34

er.... I did. Not in school any longer though. What do you want to know ?

WhatKatyDidToday Wed 12-Jun-13 22:36:29

Hmmmm I'm curious! I'd like to be [unhelpful emoticon!]

Just curious to know if anyone else did this job. I have just been appointed, will teach in class part time & SENCo 2 days a week. Am I mad in thinking this is possible?

MNEdBlackpoolWiganandSalford Fri 14-Jun-13 18:52:13

Can I ask how much extra training a senco has to have on top of teaching.

The legal requirement is that you are trained in SEN management by a government approved college/ uni. It is equivalent to 60 credits at MA level (3rd of a masters) & the one I am doing takes 2 essays of 5000 words. I am also about to increase my level of safeguarding training.

But I am still thrilled that I am getting to do the job - I think!

Strictly1 Fri 14-Jun-13 19:56:02

I do and have done for over 11 years!

Strictly1 Fri 14-Jun-13 19:58:50

Sorry should say am not do and have been not done! It's been an incredibly long week.

I can relate to the long week.....about to pour another wine. The report writing can start again tomorrow.

level3at6months Fri 14-Jun-13 22:07:10

2 days to do the SENCo stuff? No non-contact time at all for that here hmm

Inclusionist Sun 16-Jun-13 07:47:52

I wouldn't do the SENCo training until the new Code of Practice is in and they've decided what they want to do about statements / EHCPs etc.

Whether or not 2 days is enough depends on how many you have on your register. I have 125 and the whole week isn't enough!!

LuvMyBoyz Sun 16-Jun-13 18:31:22

Seems OK. A lot of my primary colleagues only get half a day. 2 days seems really reasonable. It depends entirely on the Head how much time and what rate of pay you get. It's a great job, though, well done.

Summerloading Sun 16-Jun-13 18:38:15

I'm very surprised to read most only get half a day a week. I'm not a teacher, but I know my ms primary school with 450 children and 3% SN has a full time SENCO, and even then seems to be overloaded. The school is in a leafy shire county, with SATS in the Top 10% nationally.

How could anyone manage on half a day?

Summerloading Sun 16-Jun-13 18:42:10

Saw this in a TES tweet ow.ly/m2Sfr Are SENCOS on the way out?

Not sure that SENCOs are on the way our- but the money clearly is! I got my form in for this training today as they are offering it on first come, first served basis.
I think I could spend almost 2 days a week doing the family support meetings based on the diary this week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now