RE in primary school - just been made subject leader and I need some advice please!

(11 Posts)
ConsiderablyHolierThanThou Sat 08-Jun-13 08:25:00

Ok so I am going to revise/update the school policy and I have found the online guidance from county about what we should be teaching. What I need now is the nitty gritty stuff, a decent scheme of work, some good books, stuff to actually help people teach RE. Our school is very poorly resourced but hopefully (due to a great new Headteacher) this is about to change.
Can anyone recommend any good websites, text books, DVDs and schemes of work. Thanks very much.

GoblinGranny Sat 08-Jun-13 08:32:53

Don't know where you are, but East Sussex have a useful syllabus.
https://czone.eastsussex.gov.uk/teachinglearning/curriculum/religiouseducation/Pages/syllabus.aspx

GoblinGranny Sat 08-Jun-13 08:35:00

www.cist.org.uk/pv/

ConsiderablyHolierThanThou Sat 08-Jun-13 08:44:22

Oh wow! GoblinGranny! Thank you so much. The E Sussex is very comprehensive and that cist page is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. It seems crazy for everyone to be reinventing the wheel every time they teach a unit of RE - we have a reasonable amount of movement between classes/key stages so people are not just teaching the same year group each year and I'd like to set up a central bank of plans that people can work from each year (obviously adapting to suit their own class).
thanks thanks thanks

GoblinGranny Sat 08-Jun-13 09:03:05

I've pm'd you. smile

MrsBazinga Sat 08-Jun-13 10:44:20

I'd be slightly careful before spending time on your own scheme of work as RE is the one subject where you have to teach your local LEA/SACRE scheme of work, and these can vary hugely across the country. Do you not have a local scheme of work? Whereabouts are you (if you don't mind saying)? My LEA RE scheme of work was dull as anything, so I rewrote it using the same learning objectives and outcomes, but enlivening the activities. I did use ideas from other schemes of work, but had to make them fit my own counties outcomes IYSWIM...

MrsBazinga Sat 08-Jun-13 10:55:08

Having reread your OP more carefully, I think you're doing exactly what I did! Great links already, and if you need anything else, there were a few schemes that I really liked (Birmingham and Somerset were good).

ConsiderablyHolierThanThou Sun 09-Jun-13 06:56:37

Thanks Mrs Bazinga, yes that's the plan. I'd rather not say which county I'm but their guidance is rather wide and rather dull. I just wanted some more specifics really. I'll have a look for b'ham and Somerset, thanks! smile

SuffolkNWhat Sun 09-Jun-13 17:54:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

I'm a secondary HoD for RE but do transition stuff - feel free to pm me too if I can help!

Look on the NATRE website and persuade school to stump up the £49 for an annual subscription to RE today - definitely worth it!

NATRE website hete

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now