Heads of year- what initiatives have you introduced to your year group which have really worked?

(11 Posts)
olivo Fri 07-Jun-13 17:49:15

Need a little help to get me started. Is there an initiative that you have introduced which has had a noticeably positive effect on your group? Uniform, behaviour, punctuality, anything welcome!

thanks.

LuvMyBoyz Sat 08-Jun-13 08:34:54

What is already happening? What do you think requires attention first?

olivo Sat 08-Jun-13 08:36:13

They're pretty good on uniform, equipment etc. behaviour is dealt with very swiftly. Maybe need something to motivate the middle achieves and cruisers.

LuvMyBoyz Sun 09-Jun-13 23:26:18

How about revamping the rewards system or at least getting pupils to want the rewards which already exist.

olivo Mon 10-Jun-13 17:10:40

Yes, rewards could be good. They're a bit out of reach to the middle of the readers. Thanks for giving me some thoughts!

aroomofherown Mon 10-Jun-13 17:15:54

Termly rewards based on effort/motivation grades if you have them?

Termly rewards based on most-improved for attendance, puncuality, merits, demerits etc? That way it's not just for the ones who always get them.

I used to have a board where I put up compliments from teachers and changed it around every week or two - kept the students looking at the noticeboard and it was nice to hear them get excited over their class/name etc.

olivo Mon 10-Jun-13 17:19:44

Love the idea of the notice board, that's lovely and they are just at the right age for feeling proud of that smile

Yes, think we need to move even to half telly rewards.

olivo Mon 10-Jun-13 17:20:17

No,no,no, no telly rewards, half TERMLY, I meant!

aroomofherown Mon 10-Jun-13 17:30:43

And fortnightly announcements in assembly over most merits gained in the last fortnight (assuming you have merits or something). Anyone can get that!

cricketballs Mon 10-Jun-13 21:32:32

what year group?

PuppyMummy Sat 15-Jun-13 17:51:04

identify your 'key players' based on underachievement and/or behaviour, meet with pupils and parents, monitor until next report cycle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now