Leaving your first school

(3 Posts)
GW297 Sun 05-May-13 23:53:01

Agree!

NatashaBee Sat 04-May-13 22:10:29

Apply first, think about whether you want it afterwards. If nothing else, it's good interview practise.

lecce Sat 04-May-13 22:08:40

Can anyone talk to me about doing this - I may be about to but I am terrified sad.

I have been at my school for 7/8 years (though have had 2 dc in that time) and it was my first post. It has been great. After my second mat leave I was offered a TLR without having to interview and, though there are some problems with my HOD and her second, overall I am extremely happy. I get on well with my colleagues and know that I am well thought-of by SLT, who are generally well-regarded by everyone - I hear some SLT stories on here and on courses that make my blood run cold.

Anyway, I have seen a post that seems like my natural next-step and would also save me around £40 in petrol money. The school is currently OFSTED 3 and, when I visited last week, reminded me of my current school before it got its current head and was 'turned around'. Potential new school is currently advertising for a head and in the process of becoming an academy.

So, there are a lot of uncertainties but, even without these, the main problem is that I am absolutely terrified of leaving a place where I am so happy. What if I don't get on with new teachers, pupils, SLT? I am ambitious and want the role that is being advertised but I want it to be in my current school smile. My HOD often talks about taking early retirement and I do think she will go next year or the one after, but if I waited for that and then did not get the post, that would lead to bitterness and resentment on my part, probably.

Think I need a kick up the backside (deadline is Thursday so I need to write the letter this weekend).

Disclaimer: I do realise that I may not even get it anyway, which is another reason to not want to spend the hours on applying, preparing etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now