Leaving your first school

(3 Posts)
lecce Sat 04-May-13 22:08:40

Can anyone talk to me about doing this - I may be about to but I am terrified sad.

I have been at my school for 7/8 years (though have had 2 dc in that time) and it was my first post. It has been great. After my second mat leave I was offered a TLR without having to interview and, though there are some problems with my HOD and her second, overall I am extremely happy. I get on well with my colleagues and know that I am well thought-of by SLT, who are generally well-regarded by everyone - I hear some SLT stories on here and on courses that make my blood run cold.

Anyway, I have seen a post that seems like my natural next-step and would also save me around £40 in petrol money. The school is currently OFSTED 3 and, when I visited last week, reminded me of my current school before it got its current head and was 'turned around'. Potential new school is currently advertising for a head and in the process of becoming an academy.

So, there are a lot of uncertainties but, even without these, the main problem is that I am absolutely terrified of leaving a place where I am so happy. What if I don't get on with new teachers, pupils, SLT? I am ambitious and want the role that is being advertised but I want it to be in my current school smile. My HOD often talks about taking early retirement and I do think she will go next year or the one after, but if I waited for that and then did not get the post, that would lead to bitterness and resentment on my part, probably.

Think I need a kick up the backside (deadline is Thursday so I need to write the letter this weekend).

Disclaimer: I do realise that I may not even get it anyway, which is another reason to not want to spend the hours on applying, preparing etc.

NatashaBee Sat 04-May-13 22:10:29

Apply first, think about whether you want it afterwards. If nothing else, it's good interview practise.

GW297 Sun 05-May-13 23:53:01

Agree!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now