KS1 - Help me make my plenaries better!

(5 Posts)
mumnosbest Sat 04-May-13 09:06:08

Ofsted are looming and I really struggle with this part of any lesson. Apart from recapping objectives and sharing or improving an example of work. What can I do?

toomuchicecream Wed 08-May-13 19:29:01

This is the thing that I always feel I need to get better at too! I always plan for them and they look good on paper, and then I run out of time.

But always formative assessment of LO (thumbs up/down/in the middle). Or talk to talking partner about something you have learnt in today's lesson. Sometimes I'll show a short film (BBC class clips, Espresso) or an animation/IWB activity (various sources including TES iboard). Or an application of what they've learnt (ie in Maths a word problem that allows them to use the skill you've done that day). Or use the time to set up tomorrow's lesson - get them a bit excited about what is coming next or establish current knowledge so you know where you're starting from.

I have a huge power point of plenary ideas that I probably downloaded from tes. I just put the word plenaries into the search box in the resource area and loads of stuff came up.

sashh Thu 09-May-13 04:37:50

I work with teenagers so this might not work but I go round the class asking 'tell me one thing you learned today'.

You could do it in groups or tables I suppose.

terribleteethinitsterriblejaws Thu 09-May-13 06:04:32

I always ask "what helped you with your learning today?"...a big tick for ofsted.

Exit tickets - photocopy some ticket templates and get them to write one thing they've done well

Traffic lights - colour in if they were red / amber / green today and say why

2 stars and a wish - 2 things done well, I thing to improve

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now