LSA hours - what do you expect of yours?

(12 Posts)

I work part-time as an LSA/SNA in a primary school. I love my job, but am currently struggling with the extra unpaid hours. I know it is worse for teachers, having done that job too in the past.

I don't get in early, as I bring my own children to school, but am there on time and for the start of the school day. I aways find myself staying longer than my finish time. Sometimes this is to fulfil an extra student support role that is expected of all staff (not all do it as often as I do, but my student is keen and I don't want to let her down). Sometimes it is to supervise children who are kept back at lunchtime to finish their work. Other times it is to maintain records or prepare resources. I do further reading and resource prep at home.

Honestly, having taught as well, this really isn't that onerous in comparison, but it is starting to feel like a lot on low pay, especially as the extra hours seem to be be getting more and more. Sometimes I vow to leave on time (or near to it) but it seems I never can. I once missed a doctor's appointment because of it.

Is this normal? If so, I will simply get on with it. Or do I need to get a grip and get out of the door vaguely on time?

I don't wish to sound resentful. I'm just trying to work out what's normal for the job.

Thanks.

saadia Fri 26-Apr-13 06:39:18

I am an NQT so not too experienced but have worked with LSAs in the past. I would say that you are being expected to do too much. You should be able to leave on time and any extra time expected from you, which should be only on the odd occasion, should be pre-planned.

Thanks saadia. I think I may set myself the target of leaving on time, one day a week. I pretty much have myself to blame here, as I took it all on willingly...but now it's getting a bit too much.

nearlyemptynester Sun 28-Apr-13 10:11:31

I am an TA in a mainstream school ,but support a pupil with SN, having worked in various schools for nearly 20 years and, learning the hard way , I am now leaving at my alloted time, NOT because I have to or don't want to stay,but because I know that the more you "give" the more the school "takes"- obviously if there was a problem/issue with my pupil I would stay and support but on the whole I think you are doing enough at home already and for no pay!!!

lljkk Netherlands Sun 28-Apr-13 10:31:44

Meh, I think almost every job calls for 15-25% extra unpaid hours, nowadays. I am returning to university work & expect to do a minimum of 15% extra. I know the cleaners in our school do 20-25% extra unpaid, the dinner ladies do 15% extra routinely. Don't see why it wouldn't apply to staff further up the food chain in a primary school.

JambalayaCodfishPie Tue 30-Apr-13 20:39:41

I know that the more you "give" the more the school "takes"

I agree whole-heartedly. I'm a TA, and spent my first years running ragged, starting early, staying later - being a form tutor, teaching lessons. Until I realised there were no thanks for it, it was never enough - there was always something more.

Now I do what is expected of me, and bloody well - but I don't do any more. And I claim overtime/act-up for anything I do choose to do.

Fairyliz Thu 02-May-13 17:52:25

I'm not a TA I work in the school office, but generally do about 8 hours unpaid overtime each week. I really think that teachers do not understand that we are paid for the hours we work, not a full time salary for doing the job like them.
I don't know what the answer is, as all of the support staff at my school do unpaid overtime. Sorry

cardibach Fri 03-May-13 18:15:49

lljkk really? Our cleaners clock on and off and only do what can be done in the allotted time - quite rightly. I would not expect an LSA to do more than the paid hours as the pay is pretty shitty anyway.
People need to stop doing more than they are paid for. It is different on a salary, but if you are paid by the hour then you should do what is paid. If more hours are needed, more hours need to be paid. Why should any management change if people don't stand up for themselves?

bunnybing Sat 04-May-13 13:45:49

Why are you doing any extra hours?

I say that because I know quite a few TAs/LSAs - they generally seem to be v intelligent, v capable women doing what is a low paid job, presumably because it fits in with their life and they enjoy it. Schools need to recognise that they are getting a v good deal out of TAs and stop taking the piss.

Phoebe47 Wed 08-May-13 20:30:10

At my school the TA's/LSA's are paid for 30 minutes before the start of the school day and 30 minutes at the end of the school day. This allows them to do some preparation for their support work or have time to have a discussion with the class teacher about any concerns they have. They are told when offered the job that those are their paid hours and they should not be expected to stay over that time.

Phoebe47 Wed 08-May-13 20:30:23

At my school the TA's/LSA's are paid for 30 minutes before the start of the school day and 30 minutes at the end of the school day. This allows them to do some preparation for their support work or have time to have a discussion with the class teacher about any concerns they have. They are told when offered the job that those are their paid hours and they should not be expected to stay over that time.

NaturalBlondeYeahRight Wed 08-May-13 20:43:56

You do have to be careful, people take advantage of that sort of dedication! I more or less stick to my hours (I do a good job in my hours), 10-15 mins either side of hours (p/t) When I decide to give up my time to help them out, they are really grateful.
The more you do, the more that is expected as standard. We are not rewarded for this. Rarely thanked even.
This is not a vocation as such, we took this route so it would work with a family. Be strong.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now