Experience of composite P1/2 class?

(7 Posts)
StuntNun Sun 28-Apr-13 10:31:55

At my DSs' school both P1 and P2 are taught the same subjects together (on a two-year cycle) but are given different written work and homework according to their ability. At this age I don't think it's so much of an issue as there is such a big spread of abilities by age. My DS2 is the oldest in the year and two of the other children are 51 weeks younger and the difference in maturity and ability were huge in P1.

Euphemia Tue 23-Apr-13 19:04:10

Once things are up and running it will be fine, it's those early weeks I'm unsure about: bedding in the P1s while making sure the P2s are being challenged and stretched.

The P1s are only in school until lunchtime for the first few weeks, so at least the P2s would have my undivided attention in the afternoons.

Anthracite Tue 23-Apr-13 19:00:33

My DD goes to a small school and they double up classes for many lessons, although keep English and Maths as separate year groups.

I think it works really well.

I'm not a teacher, but dc1 will (hopefully!) be going to a school which has this system next year and I am fascinated with how it works, so am watching with interest smile

Euphemia Tue 23-Apr-13 18:42:39

P1 is like Reception, so proper "school" for the first time.

Fragglewump Tue 23-Apr-13 18:30:19

Not sure what p1 and p2 is but I've taught two different mixed year 1/2 classes in different schools and found it great fun. Just think about making sure you've got a two year planning cycle and differentiate a lot!!! You'll probably find the spread of ability will be a lot less than you think it will be. Good luck.

Euphemia Tue 23-Apr-13 18:27:16

I'm likely to have a small (16 pupils) composite P1/2 class next year - does anyone have experience of this?

I have taught P1 on their own, and P2 on their own, but not the two together!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now