Doing a pgce twice?

(53 Posts)
Verycold Mon 22-Apr-13 22:23:32

How mad an idea is that, would it be possible if I was willing to pay for it?

Verycold Mon 22-Apr-13 23:06:24

No I didn't do either - I should have hmm

AvrilPoisson Mon 22-Apr-13 23:11:12

Surely mother-tongue language teachers would be highly sought-after?

I have found that the language teachers in schools have by far the best spelling, grammar, punctuation btw... could you get back in via cover supervisor role or teaching assistant (literacy)?

Verycold Mon 22-Apr-13 23:13:32

You'd think so Avril but I haven't found that to be the case. In my first post I was told they were employing me in spite of being a native speaker! Apparently it means you lack empathy for the challenges the learners are facing.

AvrilPoisson Mon 22-Apr-13 23:17:01

Ah right... because you've never had to learn a foreign language yourself, is that it? <facepalm>

Verycold Mon 22-Apr-13 23:18:14

Well I did learn English wink but the specific challenges of learning German...

ReallyTired England Mon 22-Apr-13 23:19:15

I have only ever done support jobs in schools so bear this in mind.

Applying for a school is a bit of an art. Your accompanying letter of application is as important as your application form. You need to look at the person specification and take care to show how you meet the person specification on the form and the covering letter. (Ideally the covering letter should be one side of A4)

Do you have any teacher friends who could look at your application to check that you have filled in the application form well and have a good covering letter?

Visiting a school before applying is essential as schools tend to offer the sucessful candidiate the job on the spot. There is no time to think whether you actually want the job. The chances of being offered an interview are higher if they actually know who you are.

Verycold Mon 22-Apr-13 23:25:22

I could actually kick myself now for not asking for feedback or visiting the school!

AvrilPoisson Mon 22-Apr-13 23:27:17

I agree- if they've met you, they'll know whether you'd fit in at their school, and would find you a role.
No idea if you're rural or urban, but many secondary schools are crying out for cover supervisors, and it's a great way to get known- you can do supply in that role too.

LadyMountbatten Mon 22-Apr-13 23:41:35

Start a separate thread in the staff room topic for mod Lang teachers. And another for the best second schools in your travelling radius

Have you considered independent schools? They don't necessarily require a PGCE to start with and I have come across a lot more native speakers in the independent sector, perhaps they value it more.

The school's point about lacking empathy is very odd. If you employ a graduate maths teacher, they probably didn't struggle with maths much at school, certainly not at bottom set year 9 level. Why should this be different for languages?

complexnumber Tue 23-Apr-13 10:12:31

Also look at the TES ML forum if you have not already done so; much more traffic.

Verycold Tue 23-Apr-13 17:09:36

Feeling a touch more positive, bug still wondering whether in principle I could do the course again!

LadyMountbatten Tue 23-Apr-13 17:10:03

Hello. Sorry was at work.
Right. How's things

WowOoo Colombia Tue 23-Apr-13 17:19:09

If you're a native speaker you need to sell yourself more than you have been doing so already. 3 interviews is nothing - don't be too disheartened. You'll get something soon.

Don't waste your time and money doing a course. You could gain experience if you work for free for a month and you'll have fresh references and work experience.
This is what my friend did. French native speaker - after 5 years off work in this country. She had job offers very soon. She is fantastic and very enthusiastic, I have to say!

By the way - that feedback about lack of empathy. What an odd thing to say....They might have chosen someone for the job before the interview and needed an excuse not to employ you.

Best of luck.

Verycold Tue 23-Apr-13 18:55:47

Have been very busy last two days but thinking about being proactive tomorrow. So, offering myself to schools, working for free - phone? Email? Letter? How to word it?

LadyMountbatten Tue 23-Apr-13 18:58:44

Dear bla bla.
I am writing to ask of you would need any additional languages support.
I am an experienced teacher who is looking to go back to work after maternity leave.
I would like to reacquaint myself with current educational practice and to sharpen up my skill set so I am free to volunteer on xDay, however you see fit.

Etc

Had you got a crb?

LadyMountbatten Tue 23-Apr-13 18:59:00

But no typos

Anthracite Tue 23-Apr-13 19:02:48

You should be able to find supply work, and then temporary contracts, such as a maternity leave where you do the "full job".

Waferthinmint Tue 23-Apr-13 19:05:41

I suspect you may have more luck in an independent school . . .

You could look for a language assistant post in an independent school (not sure if state schools have them). They generally do small group conversational work and are native speakers. It probably doesn't pay well, but would be a foot in the door.

Verycold Tue 23-Apr-13 19:18:06

I got a crb from my children's school, five years old or so.

So letter or email?

LadyMountbatten Tue 23-Apr-13 19:25:57

Letter.

LadyMountbatten Tue 23-Apr-13 19:27:04

Letter. Add in "I'd love to come and have a tour and meet staff, if convenient " so you don't sound too presumptuous.

Verycold Tue 23-Apr-13 20:07:23

Okay will put a letter together tomorrow and run it past you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now