Would you "tell on" a staff member senior to you?

(11 Posts)
StuffezLaBouche Mon 25-Mar-13 18:40:04

One of the TAs spoke to me, not knowing what to do about the member of staff she supports. We have recently completed an assessment week and she's been going through the papers with small groups of children to correct errors. During the course of the week she said she's noticed many of the test papers have been over marked by four or five points and that in a couple of instances this has pushed the resulting score up into the next sub level.

When she pointed this out to the teacher she was told "mistakes happen" and they'll "even themselves out" and just to leave them. I am really pissed off as I will most likely inherit this class next year and refuse to start from an over inflated starting point. There is so much more to tell, but I won't ramble. I'm just cross because the whole school knows that class is in chaos due to crap teaching and non existant marking, etc. etc.

I advised her to tell the Head. What would you do?

Schooldidi Mon 25-Mar-13 18:42:20

I'd tell the head, or more likely get the TA to tell the head because she's the one who has seen it.

I wouldn't want to pick up a class with inflated levels and then have to make progress from a false starting point.

Coconutty Mon 25-Mar-13 18:42:35

I'm a TA and I would talk to my direct manager about it. I wouldn't be happy to leave it as levelling the kids wrongly isn't good for anyone.

IslaValargeone Mon 25-Mar-13 18:43:06

You can't be complicit in crap teaching can you.
You must tell.

StuffezLaBouche Mon 25-Mar-13 18:51:23

Hmm, unanimous so far. I will ask her tomorrow if she's had a chance to mention it. If not, I will offer to go with her. The whole issue is just the straw that broke the camel's back really. I have never had such little professional respect for another teacher. I have to do a book scrutiny this week and I am dreading it. Dreading it.

BackforGood Mon 25-Mar-13 19:15:20

I was going to say, offer to go with her to the Head (or whoever is the line manager) to give her confidence.
Is the book scrutiny on her class's books? If so, why not present both pieces of evidence at the same time after you've done them ?

YellowandGreenandRedandBlue Mon 25-Mar-13 19:19:04

I personally would just go to the head in confidence on my own I think, otherwise if the TA says no you are a little stuck.

Just say what you have been told. You can say you have o idea if this is correct or not but felt he head should know what's been said.

StuffezLaBouche Mon 25-Mar-13 19:20:56

The scrutiny is across all classes and the Head will do at least part of t with me, think, as it's my first one at this school. I will get it sorted tomorrow. Pissed off.

IslaValargeone Tue 26-Mar-13 19:59:41

How did it go?

StuffezLaBouche Tue 26-Mar-13 20:28:11

Well, the TA decided she didn't want to rock the boat, so I went myself, although was worried that it might come across as gossip or second hand news.
She was great, really great. She wasn't unprofessional enough to expand, but it seems there are other concerns.
Papers are going to be 'moderated.' However, I am still annoyed, as we had parents' evening tonight, so misleading results will have been passed to parents.

Well done you! My class had inflated levels last year (too much help given when reading the maths Qs for example) and it's really hard going.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now