Is women's equality covered in the curriculum at Primary level?

(7 Posts)
SparklyStream Thu 21-Mar-13 10:16:12

Do any primary teachers out there know the answer to this? Many thanks

Teachercreature Thu 21-Mar-13 11:47:49

As far as I know not specifically as a separate subject, but very likely to come up when in other topics such as PSHE or History. (e.g. when you do Florence Nightingale or Victorians, bound to be discussed as a key difference to today.) That said the curriculum is about to change!

SparklyStream Thu 21-Mar-13 14:04:26

Thanks Creature.

complexnumber Thu 21-Mar-13 16:47:45

Just out of interest, why did you ask this question OP?

partystress Thu 21-Mar-13 19:02:53

I try to cover it through topics like FairTrade, where you can look at power issues. Also, looking at history topics such as slavery, civil rights and even things like Ancient Greece and Egypt can provide opportunities to point out that equality is not always the norm. SEAL work on rights and responsibilities can touch on it too. However, where there will be time or opportunity in the proposed new history curriculum I have no idea. I would encourage anyone who thinks social and global history to be important and relevant to respond to the National Curriculum consultation. It is open until 16/4. Can't link, sorry, but the proposals for history are shockingly bad: British history as a succession of British dead, white, males; wars; Crusades; and acts of Parliament - all to be taught sequentially.... Beggars belief.

Euphemia Thu 21-Mar-13 21:06:43

Not specifically, in the Scottish curriculum.

StuffezLaBouche Sat 23-Mar-13 15:45:43

We recently had a guest come into our class for the morning, who had severe burns/disfigurement due to a terrible accident in his youth. In session one he was very serious, talked about the pain, the struggle with daily life, etc.
Then, in session two, he did a really fantastic workshop on beauty and the media's portrayal of attractiveness. The kids were hooked and we've had several good pshe sessions since, which have led from media beauty into gender roles, expectations based on ender, etc. So, so beneficial to the children.

If you're a teacher and would be interested in similar workshops for your school, pm me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now