Teaching the child of celebrity!

(57 Posts)
Ducklings45 Mon 18-Mar-13 19:43:45

Has anyone done this and how did you get past the 'oh wow it's Xxx'. A new child join my class recently with famous parentage.

I am still a bit starstruck when speaking to
mum and wondered how you move past it? blush

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Sun 28-Apr-13 21:14:22

fwiw, I meet a number of stupidly famous people through a relative of mine, and tbh I do get a bit giddy inside, but, I can imagine how hard it must be living your life with everyone staring at you so most of the time I am careful to be over chilled.

Phoebe47 Fri 05-Apr-13 21:55:43

Just treat this parent the same way you treat the other children's parents. Many years ago I taught the son of member of a well known (and very "way out" pop group - weird in fact). When he came to school to drop off/collect his son he looked perfectly normal but looked very weird on stage! I was not at all starstruck as I was not a fan of his particular brand of music so found it easy to treat him the same as other parents. I was a bit worried about what he might say at Parents Evening as he was a straight talker but it went well as his son was doing well. He complimented me on the class assembly we had done earlier in the week. He said it was the best assembly he had seen at the school in the 3 years his son had been there. I must say I was very proud of that and remember this parent - and his son who was a lovely boy - very fondly.

sashh Thu 28-Mar-13 06:09:39

AryaUnderfoot

That just has to be Daniel Radcliff

AryaUnderfoot Wed 27-Mar-13 21:47:45

In my NQT year, I taught a (then) teenage actor. It was a bit weird the first time I saw him in class, but I very soon got used to it.

The weirdest thing is seeing him in nowadays in ...erm... adult situations in films. It just seems so not right.

One4TheRd Wed 27-Mar-13 16:21:20

I am a TA and had the daughter of a rock star in my class last year and will have his younger daughter next year. After being a massive fan of him and the band for years, and having seen them live many times, I found it very difficult at drop off times! I have found myself saying rather ridiculous things about the weather!!! I had the dilemma of going to see them in concert, as I would have done if he wasn't a parent at work, or not bothering. Of course I went and had an even better time!!

As for getting past the obvious blushing - on my part - and general feeling of awkwardness, I don't think that goes away if you admired that person before. I know members of staff who have developed a "taste" for their music only since he joined the school which bothers me a lot! Lol

ripsishere Tue 26-Mar-13 06:15:37

Sorry, JIC you thought she was being unprofessional.

ripsishere Tue 26-Mar-13 06:15:19

I should add that she didn't tell me about little Kai, her DS did.

TheRealFellatio Tue 26-Mar-13 05:53:23

I understand why you can't (and mustn't) say who it is BUT I DEMAND that you at least give us an idea of exactly how famous, loosely what they are famous for and provide some similar comparisons.

Thank you.

I know what you mean, MrsS it's a tricky one. No-one wants to looking like a desperate social climber or an autograph hunter, do they? One of my eldest son's very good friends has a famous dad, (pretty legendary among certain circles in fact) and while I always chatted to his mum and got along really well with her I could never quite bring myself to do the same with the dad. I was pleasant to him, but reluctant to start or sustain conversations in case he as scanning my eyes for signs of evidence of being a Star Struck Hanger On. It was a shame because I got on very well with the mum, and would ordinarily have invited them for dinner or something, but it seemed a bit sucky-uppy.

Don't see them any more as son at uni and we have moved away.

ripsishere Tue 26-Mar-13 05:28:09

The Rooney child is at my friends school.
My DH taught several children of very famous parents. He didn't even realize about one of them till I spotted them at the school fete worse than death.

MrsSalvoMontalbano Fri 22-Mar-13 18:58:39

we have a very famous parent at our school, and I felt very sorry for him in the interval at the school play as he was standing alone (as everyone was ignoring him so as not to look as if hey were star-struck) so I went up to him and chatted about the play, as I would have if he's been ano person stading on his own with a very sour-faced unfriendly wife

DancesWithTheEasterBunny Wed 20-Mar-13 18:50:50

I taught a deejay' s daughter. I was a bit star struck at first but eventually it settled down and she was just another kid.

MistyKnight Wed 20-Mar-13 18:46:58

I teach the son of a well-known TV actor but had no idea until he sat down in front of me at parents evening, since the boy doesn't use the same surname. I struggled momentarily with composure until it became clear he didn't know the first thing about my subject!

GotAnyGrapes Tue 19-Mar-13 13:23:42

Were not we're.

GotAnyGrapes Tue 19-Mar-13 13:22:50

Oh sherbetpips, is it a private RC school? If its the school I'm thinking of I did supply there for half a term and taught said comedian's son. He was lovely as we're his boys. Great school too!

Duckling, when we lived in Cheshire my kids went to school with kids of premiership footballers and Corrie stars. It was strange at first but good to see the mums sometimes looking just as frazzled as the rest of us at 8am. Probably helped that football isn't my thing and I don't watch Corrie though!

You should have seen my sons face when the current James B dropped off his dd to visit neighbours dd. (yes, she frequents our local estate and mingles with council tenants wink a whole lot of less judgmental than some folks on here!)

I think sometimes being starstruck and in awe is human nature. It is hiding it that is the problem!

Same son once asked a friend of mine "How rich are you?" I wished right there and then that her pool would swallow me up.

sleepywombat Tue 19-Mar-13 13:21:37

I have taught a few celebs' kids - like Lifeis, I usually don't recognise them or care tbh. Once taught a daughter of a shoe designer & I got to pick a pair from her latest collection at the end of the year, that was good!

Lifeisontheup Tue 19-Mar-13 13:17:35

I've treated a few famous people and not recognised them,blush amuses my colleagues no end.
I am terrible with faces and quite often names too.
I comfort myself with the thought that if they're ill enough to need an ambulance they probably don't want to be recognised and at least they can be sure of my confidentiality.

sherbetpips Tue 19-Mar-13 13:14:08

My nephew is in a class with a few footballers kids and a famous northern comedian's son. My SIL is utterly oblivious - totally wasted on her.

Pootles2010 Tue 19-Mar-13 13:12:04

You'll get used to it i'm sure. My mum used to work at a v naice private school, and had a fair few footballers' children etc, she got some ace end of year presents grin

Snoopingforsoup Tue 19-Mar-13 13:06:48

I used to work with slebs. It was hard at times as I too would get star struck occasionally and would have to give myself a sly slap while they weren't looking.
The majority of them know people get star struck and they know it's awkward at times. I would zone out their media persona starting now and just treat them like any other school parents.
They all pick their nose, have hissy fits and worry about their kids like us mere mortals not under the glare of the Paps.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Tue 19-Mar-13 07:36:38

oops terrible signal in this bloomin snow; thought it hadn't posted

Ohhelpohnoitsa Tue 19-Mar-13 07:34:36

I think the op was trying to use mumsnet as an anonymous forum to vent her excitement / nervousness/ bit of anonymous gossip. I'm sure she knows exactly how to behave. Very few of us wouldn't find life a bit spiced up by encountering a famous celeb and having a teeny weeny sneaky peak in to their life. It doesn't make op shallow or unprofessional (unless she spills the beans & goes on to tell us daily what mrs celeb is wearing, what bag she is carrying etc.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Tue 19-Mar-13 07:34:02

I think the op was trying to use mumsnet as an anonymous forum to vent her excitement / nervousness/ bit of anonymous gossip. I'm sure she knows exactly how to behave. Very few of us wouldn't find life a bit spiced up by encountering a famous celeb and having a teeny weeny sneaky peak in to their life. It doesn't make op shallow or unprofessional (unless she spills the beans & goes on to tell us daily what mrs celeb is wearing, what bag she is carrying etc.

FelicityWasCold Tue 19-Mar-13 07:15:17

Treat the child 100% normally, keep any conversation with the parent 100% about the child. Be neither rude nor overly deferential to the parent.

SucksToBeMe Tue 19-Mar-13 00:53:22

I gave Princess Beatrice a polo lesson once. I wasn't star struck but she was sooooo shy I found my self not chatting away as I normally would.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now