Teaching the child of celebrity!

(57 Posts)
Ducklings45 Mon 18-Mar-13 19:43:45

Has anyone done this and how did you get past the 'oh wow it's Xxx'. A new child join my class recently with famous parentage.

I am still a bit starstruck when speaking to
mum and wondered how you move past it? blush

ripsishere Tue 26-Mar-13 06:15:19

I should add that she didn't tell me about little Kai, her DS did.

ripsishere Tue 26-Mar-13 06:15:37

Sorry, JIC you thought she was being unprofessional.

One4TheRd Wed 27-Mar-13 16:21:20

I am a TA and had the daughter of a rock star in my class last year and will have his younger daughter next year. After being a massive fan of him and the band for years, and having seen them live many times, I found it very difficult at drop off times! I have found myself saying rather ridiculous things about the weather!!! I had the dilemma of going to see them in concert, as I would have done if he wasn't a parent at work, or not bothering. Of course I went and had an even better time!!

As for getting past the obvious blushing - on my part - and general feeling of awkwardness, I don't think that goes away if you admired that person before. I know members of staff who have developed a "taste" for their music only since he joined the school which bothers me a lot! Lol

AryaUnderfoot Wed 27-Mar-13 21:47:45

In my NQT year, I taught a (then) teenage actor. It was a bit weird the first time I saw him in class, but I very soon got used to it.

The weirdest thing is seeing him in nowadays in ...erm... adult situations in films. It just seems so not right.

sashh Thu 28-Mar-13 06:09:39

AryaUnderfoot

That just has to be Daniel Radcliff

Phoebe47 Fri 05-Apr-13 21:55:43

Just treat this parent the same way you treat the other children's parents. Many years ago I taught the son of member of a well known (and very "way out" pop group - weird in fact). When he came to school to drop off/collect his son he looked perfectly normal but looked very weird on stage! I was not at all starstruck as I was not a fan of his particular brand of music so found it easy to treat him the same as other parents. I was a bit worried about what he might say at Parents Evening as he was a straight talker but it went well as his son was doing well. He complimented me on the class assembly we had done earlier in the week. He said it was the best assembly he had seen at the school in the 3 years his son had been there. I must say I was very proud of that and remember this parent - and his son who was a lovely boy - very fondly.

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Sun 28-Apr-13 21:14:22

fwiw, I meet a number of stupidly famous people through a relative of mine, and tbh I do get a bit giddy inside, but, I can imagine how hard it must be living your life with everyone staring at you so most of the time I am careful to be over chilled.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now