Switching from jobshare to single class teacher after maternity - help!

(2 Posts)
zirca Tue 12-Mar-13 15:27:54

Have had to go back full time, as jobshare partner moved to a new school while I was on maternity leave. That's ok (money helps lol), but I haven't had my own class for four years, the year group I've been given is several years above, and in a different key stage (primary) to the one I've always taught and trained in, and obviously it's an adjustment figuring out how to balance life, child and work.

Been back a few weeks and am just starting to feel I've got the hang of the new year group (so pitching lessons better etc), but still a little way to go. Head is constantly checking up that everything is perfect, has v high expectations (which is usually a good thing), but there doesn't seem any leeway for getting the hang of things again/finding a routine, and I'm finding that very stressful. I'm doing the very best I can, on broken sleep, with a hysterically clingy baby most evenings, and with all the newness of it all - the children are making progress and are happy, lessons taught, marked, planning in place (incl for my PPA which is taught by a TA so I have to plan it). So - should it be easy to just slot in and get the hang of it and I'm just thick or something, or is she being unreasonable? Have already had a lesson observation (numeracy) which was 'good', so don't feel I can be doing such a bad job?

exoticfruits Wed 13-Mar-13 13:44:22

Don't be too hard on yourself-it is very hard to get back. When I did full time after a long gap I constantly felt 2 steps behind and then just as I was catching up there would be a staff meeting and something else was thrown in the mix! It is the nature of the job these days.
You should not have PPA taken by a TA-there is no point if you have to plan and mark-it is supposed to help and quite honestly it is simpler and less stressful to do it yourself! I did PPA on a supply basis and the teacher just told me what to cover-all planning and marking was done by me.
I could never have done it with a baby. Would you not have preferred another job share? I would look into your rights-I don't know much about it, but lots of teachers come back from maternity leave and have a job share.
You sound as if you are doing very well so far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now