Are private schools obliged to report levels chn are working at?

(10 Posts)
StuffezLaBouche Mon 11-Mar-13 18:53:43

Just that really. A friend of mine is unhappy at her children's school because she hasn't a clue where her children are in relation to age related expectations. She's just returned from parents evening where the teacher has jut told her 'not to worry, they're doing well.'
She asked for exact levels and he said its not school policy. When she persisted he reluctantly said he would give them to her next week, but was not happy.

I tutor these children and there are some aspects of what the children say that make me a bit hmm about the school's way of doing things, but I haven't mentioned these to mum.

I must admit I have no knowledge of the private system... Can anyone enlighten me?

Knowsabitabouteducation Wed 13-Mar-13 05:14:51

No, not obliged.

They do have to have a robust reporting system though, just not through the blunt instrument of NC levels.

Labro Thu 14-Mar-13 20:13:50

as above, they have to prove they have a reporting system, ie my ds indie does written reports for core subjects every 6 weeks and all subjects at the end of each term, below Yr 6 children have effort grades 1-4 (1 being exceptional, 4 being inadequate) yrs 6-8 have effort 1-4 and attainment A* - C which relate to their potential in relation to CE

LIZS Thu 14-Mar-13 20:17:05

No , NC doesn't apply except in EYFS if they claim LA funding for 3 & 4 yr olds

Hulababy Thu 14-Mar-13 20:24:01

My DD's school doesn't do SATs or use NC levels to assess work, therefore I do not know what level she is at. I do know how she is doing at school though, and it is reported on her school reports (3 a year) if she is working above national standards or not. They have their own school assessments, with "test week" three times a year in juniors.
The school does very well academically - this is clear though the numbers who receive academic scholarships at senior schools, and how they perform in external exams later in their schooling, plus in national academic competitions through the school.

SATs only tell you so much. I never had SATs when I was at school as before they came in. Schools still reported on ability, in much the same way DD's school does, and all was fine.

Mind you, I work in a state infants and we don't include NC levels on reports until after Y2 SATs.

Hulababy Thu 14-Mar-13 20:25:50

Independent schools are inspected regularly by ISI and how the children perform academically is included in this, just as it is in OFSTED inspections. The reports are available for the public to see.

GreatUncleEddie Thu 14-Mar-13 20:27:39

We don't get levels and I don't want them. The reporting system tells me how well my child is doing and I have a lot of faith in the school.

kitchenidiots Fri 15-Mar-13 17:48:35

We don't give levels and if I'm honest I'm not sure how useful they are. Instead I give detailed feedback about what they are capable of and how to improve. Independent schools often have a different way of doing things and I guess you have to buy into that if you choose to send your child there. If you don't have faith in the school then you a fighting a losing battle.

blueswallow Tue 03-Mar-15 14:17:29

I am concerned because my child's school don't give information about how much progress he has made. I get a grade for the position he is in his class, but not what level that class is performing at. I have no idea how he compares academically with other children of his age nationally. Surely schools should have an obligation to share this with parents. I know they use a number of different internal assessments including NFER assessments but we don't see the results of these.

superram Tue 03-Mar-15 19:38:03

Levels are a waste of time and state schools no longer have to use them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now