WWYD? Frequent absence

(26 Posts)
notnowImreading Wed 06-Mar-13 21:42:18

Line managers, help!

I'm in a quandary. My new-this-year second in department is frequently off sick. She has had a period of absence every month since starting at the school, mostly for things like coughs/colds, although one bit was when her little girl was taken into hospital.

Each time she is off I think, well, fair enough, she's ill, nothing makes you feel as rough as a bad cold etc. However, it's really starting to have an impact on the classes she teaches and it's bad luck that one of the reasons she got the job is that she is strong with the stroppy lower ability boys, so you can imagine how well they respond to a string of cover supervisors and cover lesson tasks.

I don't know what to do/whether to do anything at all. I have no reason to suspect that she's malingering, although I do have the feeling (no more than that) that she should woman up a bit with the colds. I know that you can't help being ill sometimes but EVERYONE at work has started to comment and the cover manager just sighs at me when she has one of her days off.

I genuinely can't tell whether this is bad luck, laziness or just me being a cow because I'm so sick of sorting out cover. WWYD?

MaureenMLove Tue 12-Mar-13 20:11:19

At my school it's 2 days paid 'family leave' per school year and anything over that has to be taken unpaid. Family leave can be anything the head teacher deems as family. So taking DH to a hospital appointment for example or seeing lo's graduate.

Even a funeral is classed as part of your family leave, unless it's immediate family i.e. mum, dad, siblings or children, then you can have 5 days paid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now