Am i too old to retrain?

(6 Posts)
yehudiwho Tue 05-Mar-13 20:01:19

I am 49 and am thinking of doing a Primary PGCE - will I get a job after graduating or am I too old ....sad

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Tue 05-Mar-13 20:04:41

We've had several "older" (than a 22 year old graduate) trainees through our place. Age hasn't been a dictator of success/failure.

But we're secondary, so things might be different.

If you want to do it, and you can safely afford to train and change your mind. Why not?! Better than to not try and always wonder "what if?"

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Tue 05-Mar-13 20:05:25

(Not entirely sure that was coherent. I'm tired! Teaching is tiring!)

Isabeller Tue 05-Mar-13 20:07:25

Ooh how interesting I have wondered about this on and off ever since having to withdraw from secondary PGCE during horrendous divorce 12 years ago. I've been increasingly caught up in care of elderly relatives in recent years but at 49 in a few weeks I'd love to know if this door is forever closed. Hope you get some helpful answers smile

yehudiwho Tue 05-Mar-13 20:46:21

I would really like to do it but am nervous about giving up a flexible, pensionable job, retrain and then be unemployed after training!

wild Tue 05-Mar-13 22:46:20

I graduated at 45 and got a job. Primary. You will stand a better chance of getting a job if you think 'I have stacks of transferable experience, I work hard and am organised, and because I am NQT I am relatively inexpensive - they're getting a bargain' than if you think 'I am too old'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now