Experience of going from FT to PT?

(18 Posts)
Euphemia Tue 19-Feb-13 20:37:47

I'm planning to put in a flexible working application to reduce my week to 0.6 or 0.8. I may have to move school after the summer, and I think this is a good time to try for P/T.

If you have done this, what is your experience of it?

Do you find it hard to hand over the remainder of the week to someone else, rather than see your class right through the week?

How do you deal with meetings, etc. held on the days you don't work?

What reasons did you give for requesting the change? Was your HT supportive?

Anything else I should consider?

PatTheHammer Tue 19-Feb-13 20:47:08

I have been 0.6 and I have been 0.8 ( this year)

My advice would be to avoid 0.8 like the plague, I basically teach as many if not more lessons than most of my full-time colleagues.....for a lot less money.

I liked 0.65, saw most of my classes as I was in over 4 days and teach secondary. I've only ever shared a few classes.

I go to any meetings when they are on a day I am in (I don't have to attend tutor meetings as not a tutor etc) I attend parents evenings regardless of whether they are on my day off etc as that is what is in the school time budget. Your school will have very specific guidelines about time budget for P/T workers.

My HT and SMT have always been fantastic with regards to my hours, I initially requested it when PG with DD who is 6 now and they totally understood why I did not want to be F/T with a young family.

They also know they essentially get a lot of work out of me for free (e.g I am not paid til 9.20am some days but am there at 7.45am everyday getting my planning done and occasionally asked to cover someones register etc or just generally to do someone a favour) so watch out for this, there is a fine line between them respecting you and taking the piss!

missmapp Tue 19-Feb-13 20:52:10

I went from full time to part time (0.6) then to 0.8 and now full time again!!

It does take a while to get used to handing over your class. Are you planning with your job share? If not, then you need to plan in some handover time. ( if primary) I used to have a handover book aswell for info that arose during the week and needed to be followed up- parents concersn, friendship problems etc. It is also impt that you speak to eachother regularly!!

Meeting etc were on my days, INSets I had to attend whichever day they were on, so check those.

0.6 is fab, 0.8 is rubbish!!

donnasummer Wed 20-Feb-13 18:28:05

that's good to hear I am 0.6 next year

Euphemia Wed 20-Feb-13 20:36:14

What kind of reasons are likely to make a request successful? Or is it more about logistics eg there being a jobshare partner available?

Lucycat Wed 20-Feb-13 20:45:57

Are you secondary or primary and looking to do a job share or part time?Ii am part time in secndary which means I'm in school pretty much every day - a job share would be easier to split a timetable. Is there someone who you could share with? although it's not down to you to find that person....

Euphemia Wed 20-Feb-13 20:55:04

Primary, but I don't have a permanent school so it's likely to entail a move, which is fine. I'd like to do three or four days a week.

LauraPashley Wed 20-Feb-13 21:05:23

Oh please stop saying how bad 0.8 is, I am about to go back up!! 0.6 has been bliss, but we are not managing financially and it was only a temp arrangement anyway. Dreading going back up. BUT...
- at 0.8 I feel much more like a proper member of staff and miss less of what is going on (I mean in terms of things I need to know, smt crap at passing info to part timers, I don't mean I miss it when I'm not there!)
- although I have loved being 0.6 some elements of it have been quite stressful, it is very hard to find time to do the type of work that can only be done in school iyswim - displays, classroom set up, organizing resources etc.
- handover eats into your time a LOT. At 0.8 it was more like the class was "mine" and I just loosely planned for my extra day and got feedback from the 0.2 person. With a 2/3 day split it is more like a proper job share and everything takes twice as long as you have to do it together!
- at 3 days, every day has to be a "long" day in school, just to get stuff done. I'm hoping that maybe with work at lunchtime etc over 4 days I can skip out slightly earlier.

Can you see I am trying to persuade myself?!!

If I had the choice tho I'd stick at 0.6.

LadyBarlow Wed 20-Feb-13 21:19:04

0.6 is great & when I first did this, my Head was really supportive & he appointed a job share partner.....however she was a f.ing nightmare & wouldn't plan & we were on totally different wavelengths, so make sure you get a good gut feeling about who you'll be working with. Thank god my Head was supportive coz I was ready to throttle my job share partner.
I've done job shares more successfully & I think you have to communicate, have a link book, talk on the phone, you HAVE to make sure you are united as possible, kids (& parents!) will chip away at any splits they spot between you.
It really works for me being part time & I'm glad I pushed for it.

PatTheHammer Wed 20-Feb-13 21:28:47

Laura- I'm secondary and my 0.8 timetable involves me being at school all morning 4 days per week and one full day a week. And teaching virtually every nanosecond of that!
Finishing at lunchtime sounds nice until you factor in our lunchtime is 1.20pm and there are 4 lessons every morning.

0.8 over 4 days........I wish, It just doesn't work like that with the way they work out our timetables.

And all this is why I hate it, I'm sure it would work differently in a primary school as you are are not split into a 25hr teaching week.
I would hate to have a job-share partner though, it sounds a right faff. Thats one reason to be grateful for secondary I suppose.

Euphemia- I'm sure that schools have to consider 'any' reasonable request, it goes to the governors and actually I think they have to have a pretty damn good reason for refusing it. I guess they could say that it would be difficult to find a job-share person, but in this climate, with so many teachers looking for work, that isn't really valid.

CitizenOscar Wed 20-Feb-13 21:31:39

My DH teaches 3 days a week in primary. He's happy spending time with DS (ecstatic in fact) and everything else comes second to that.

His HT didn't take his request seriously when he first requested it & he had to ask twice before it was actually considered. He'd already discussed with potential job share partner who was happy with the suggestion (& as assistant head had some sway with HT).

Downsides: has to go to every inset (every Monday after school), doesn't get PPA every week but does share out parents eves.

He also feels he doesn't get taken as seriously since he went PT, lots of comments about his "days off" and other jokey snide comments, his ideas are taken on with no credit given etc etc.

Although he's loved spending time with DS this year, he feels that doing another year PT would really harm his career (he was an NQT last year) and isn't confident a new school would want to take him on PT. he's been surprised how it's affected how people view his commitment (even though he's in from 6.30/7 every morning he works) - I guess it's what women experience all the time after mat leave and/or going PT.

But he says every day "it's the best thing I ever did", so no regrets grin

Euphemia Wed 20-Feb-13 22:22:15

I'm in Scotland; we don't have governors so it would be the local authority which made the decision. I'm not sure to what extent I need to persuade my current HT, or if it's a formality because chances are I'd be moving school after the summer anyway.

GW297 Wed 20-Feb-13 23:26:50

I loved being part of a job share last year and loved working part time. When I went back up to full time in the summer term I found that the extra money did not compensate for the happiness that being at home brings!

Euphemia Thu 21-Feb-13 06:47:58

Money isn't a factor at all. What I'm after is time to spend with my family: to support my parents while my dad is being treated for cancer, to spend more quality time with DD and DH, to go back to Guiding.

When I'm working full time I feel like I'm being pulled in five directions at once, and no-one gets the best of me. sad

missmapp Thu 21-Feb-13 08:39:13

I know what you mean Euphemia, hope you get the outcome you want at work.

PatTheHammer Thu 21-Feb-13 14:37:15

Five different directions sums it up nicely, I still very much feel like that this year at 0.8. That's why I have asked to go back to 0.6.
More than worth the drop in salary for a bit more sanity.
Hope you get what works for you and your family.

2kidsintow Tue 05-Mar-13 21:13:35

I went PT after having my DD (who is now 12) - and I'm still PT.
Most of the time I've done 0.7 (3 full days and a half day) although I have done stints of 0.8 and a term of full time.

I'm primary and do a job share. We split the subjects between us so have a clear line on who is responsible for which books/report comments etc. I've shared with 4 different teachers over the years and always got on with my colleagues, which has been good.

I'm due to go up to 0.9 temporarily (hopefully) due to another member of staff going on maternity leave. I'm due to share my class with the person who covers PPA.
I will miss my full day to myself, but don't need it really now the kids are in school. I will still fit in one set of school-run for my youngest dd (8) and still keep a little time to myself for jobs and appointments.

I teach 0.6, having previously been full time. Slightly different for me, as I work every day 12-3:30, and still have my own 'exclusive' class as I teach afternoon nursery while my jobshare has a whole other class on her own.
I have class shared before though. It was harder but not impossible. Good communication was so important. We used to plan together (then share out the typing up). This was outside of school time but worth it to keep things stress free in school.
It helped that we are in primary and also very good friends!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now