Memberships - Union, GTC?

(13 Posts)
Shellington Thu 07-Feb-13 15:25:28

Given that the GTC(E?) site no longer exists, I take it that it is no longer necessary to be registered and pay the admin yearly fee? (Was £10 a year or something when I last taught?)

Also - would you recommend ATL or NUT? (not NASUWT)

Are there any other things I need to do - will the TPS be informed as soon as I am back on a payroll or should I contact them direct?

Are there any other professional bodies I should be looking into before returning to teaching?

Any advice appreciated asap! thanks

janji Thu 07-Feb-13 15:31:30

Am in NASUWT and have had cause to call on them extensively this year (sadly). They've been fantastic!! Can't recommend them high enough!

Shellington Thu 07-Feb-13 16:31:05

I can sadly testify to the opposite janji
Glad you had some good support anyway.

Any ideas on the GTC registration?

daffsarecomingup Thu 07-Feb-13 16:32:43

am in UCU, who have been very good.
Don't know about GTC. am now a post 16 tutor.

GW297 Thu 07-Feb-13 17:30:25

Atl weren't great for me.

TeamEdward Thu 07-Feb-13 17:33:08

NUT have been fab for me, even though I decided in the end I'd rather leave the profession than put up with management bullshit anymore.

I don't think you need to pay GTC registration (£36 I think)

Shellington Thu 07-Feb-13 17:33:13

Good to know. Not sure how I feel about striking, which seems to be deciding factor!

Dominodonkey Fri 08-Feb-13 21:18:43

You definitely don't have to pay the GTC registration anymore.

NUT are ok but very expensive - nearly £200.

Shellington Fri 08-Feb-13 21:43:11

Thank you Domino - has it been replaced by anything do you know - fee-payable or otherwise?

Good point, will look into monthly cost- could swing it smile

Dominodonkey Sat 09-Feb-13 17:55:51

It has been replaced by a governing body of some kind but we don't have to pay for it.

juniper904 Sun 17-Feb-13 15:42:18

NUT strike more than NASUWT.

The GTCE was disbanded, so no payments.

Shellington Sun 17-Feb-13 16:28:04

Thanks Juniper - do you know anything of ATL by comparison to NUT?

juniper904 Tue 19-Feb-13 00:53:37

Only anecdotally. My mum was in the ATL, and when she called them in to help they were useless. Saying that, so were the other union reps (the HT changed the TLR payments against the law...)

I heard from on the grapevine that ATL are incredibly poor at the moment, and couldn't afford the legal fees of going on strike- hence why they didn't support NASUWT and NUT last year.

I am part of my local NASUWT group and go to their annual conference, so I don't pretend to be impartial!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now