What time do you leave school?

(58 Posts)
Euphemia France Mon 04-Feb-13 19:23:14

Is there an expectation that you'll be there until 5pm? Is anything said if you choose to leave earlier?

twinkle1010 Sat 16-Mar-13 15:40:35

I get into school at 8am work will 5ish monday (staff meeting) 6ish Tuesday (SMT) leave at about 4.45pm on wednesday and then 4pm on thursday and friday. This is my work life balance I make sure I leave early on those two nights and then I get to do something with my DD before tea and bedtime. It works for me.

spudmasher Sun 10-Mar-13 17:51:51

Wow. I'm in the wrong school! In at 7.35 out at 6pm 3 nights, 5 pm one and 3.45 another. Some nights I'm there till 7pm. About once a fortnight. I am deputy head though.

InTheoryBut Sun 10-Mar-13 17:46:11

I get in at 7.50 on the three days I work. Two days see me in a meeting from 3.30 til 5.30, when I have to leave to get kids. Third day sees me marking frantically til 5.30 deadline, as all books are handed in every week for marking and presentation scrutiny, matched against planning on a Friday evening. No time to do anything else in school - resourcing stuff, displays, talking to colleagues/sencos, tidying, sorting classroom, setting up any new areas/initiatives... My resignation is going in shortly because of it hmm.

StuffezLaBouche Sun 10-Mar-13 14:46:46

I get in between 6:30 and 7 as my mind is much more alive in the early morning. One night a week (meeting) I leave at five, but the rest I leave between 3:45 and 4:15. Similar hours for the rest of the staff. In previous school there was a tendency to wait until the Head was around then mention casually you were in until SIX THIRTY the night before, and your husband's starting to forget what you look like.. (Yeah well done, love!)
Bitter, moi? :-)

DameDoom Sat 09-Mar-13 14:46:06

PS - don't listen to me - just noticed 60 pieces of 'to be APP'd' English' languishing on dining room table, cunningly hidden under a pile of mail and unread Grazias.Think my 'anything additional' comment was a sublim. attempt to make myself feel organised.

DameDoom Sat 09-Mar-13 14:33:00

I have a major routine and I live literally 5 mins away from work. I get in at 7am and leave at 7pm Mon-Thurs. I never take work home apart from report writing and anything additional. On Friday I leave at 5 and go to the pub with friends from work. This works for me as I have weekends free... obviously, I don't have children.

BrigitBigKnickers Tue 05-Mar-13 00:02:58

We are expected to be in school from 8.30-4pm but most work a hell of a lot longer than that.
I work:
-8am-6pm on two of my days (one includes a meeting.)
-8am-4.30pm on the other
-at least half of one of my days off spent working at home.

On my work days I also do three lunchtime clubs, one after school club and an assembly every week.

I work three days a week.

I think I offer pretty good value for money!

I get in between 6:30-7 and leave by 4ish three nights a week (two meeting nights). I work for 2-3 hours after DD is in bed each evening

Knowsabitabouteducation Thu 28-Feb-13 20:37:08

I get in a 7.45 for a 9.05 start.

School finishes at 4pm, but I have to do late duty once a week until 6pm (I can do my own work, mostly). I stay late (5.15) twice a week because DD in the same school has activities (again, I can do my own work). I have duties after school three days a week until 4.20.

Basically, two days a week, I can leave by 4.30. That's fine by me.

ShipwreckedAndComatose Mon 25-Feb-13 17:41:06

I get in at 7.45 and leave about 4.45 to get home for the kids.

I than work after they have gone to bed

I tend to prepare at school and mark at home

Phineyj Mon 25-Feb-13 12:09:24

4-5pm - school finishes at 3.40pm and there's no expectation that we stay if we don't have anything specific to do. We're supposed to be off site by 6pm I think but in practice as we rent the buildings out they are open very late. I much prefer to work at home though.

Astr0naut Wed 20-Feb-13 20:20:34

I get there at 8.10, as we start at 8.40. This may be a problem when ds goes to school, as breakfast club doesn't start til 8.15.

Astr0naut Wed 20-Feb-13 20:19:43

3.15 to pick the kids up from nursery. I could stay and work, but I'd feel guilty for not seeing them.I know other mums with small children stay in work and are 'seen' to be working, which makes me look bad. Sadly no one sees me working from 7-10 every night. And I'm 0.8! But English marking is ridiculous - as is constantly catching up with AQA's exam/ca spec changes.

kittencuddles Mon 18-Feb-13 08:08:39

I get in at 7.30ish but usually leave by 5. I'm a morning person!

almapudden Thu 14-Feb-13 20:17:39

I get in between 7.30-7.45 and leave between 5 and 6 depending on how busy I am and whether I'm running a club (clubs at my school run from 4-5pm). There's a parents' evening or an evening function once every two weeks on average, and then I leave at around 8.30.

I rarely bring work home, though. I have colleagues who routinely work until 8pm and/or come in at the weekend but, to be honest, I don't know what they're doing. I'd be twiddling my thumbs if I were at school for that long!

ninah Thu 14-Feb-13 13:34:13

the signing out systems I have come across in the past were genuinely for fire regs - you indicated if you were in, and then when you left again. You did not have to indicate a time.

littlestressy Wed 13-Feb-13 21:56:06

I normally get in about 8-8.15 and like to leave by 4.30 to get home for my DS. I work 3 days a week and try to get my work done on the evenings I work, doesn't always work like that though.
I don't like the idea of singing in/out. Who cares what time I leave as long as it's all done?

MariusEarlobe Wed 06-Feb-13 22:59:16

The one I worked at I was always first In at 8.15 and last out at 4. In dds school i see them leave at 7pm.

muminthecity Wed 06-Feb-13 22:48:21

I'm a TA and arrive by 8.30am. All of the teachers arrive earlier than me. I leave at 6pm as I also manage the after school club. No teachers leave before 5.30pm, most leave around the same time as me, except on a Friday.

BrianButterfield Wed 06-Feb-13 19:42:24

No presenteeism at my school (well, some departments do but not mine!). I leave any 3.45 most days now to pick up DS. I get in at 8 though. I'd be twiddling my thumbs until 5 - have been teaching 10 years, have a KS3- heavy timetable and plenty of frees so not much planning to do and spare time for my marking. Still manage to do a good job and am a better, happier teacher for having a work-life balance.

Euphemia France Wed 06-Feb-13 19:36:32

We have a signing in and out book which we are told is for the fire register but I wonder ...!

TheNebulousBoojum Wed 06-Feb-13 19:12:04

Yes, we clock in and clock out.

eviekingston Wed 06-Feb-13 11:37:35

I get in at 7.50am and leave at 6pm when the caretaker kicks us out. I honestly couldn't leave any earlier, I have so much stuff to do. And I very much resent it. I would say 80% of the staff do the same. Our head claims that she wants us to have a work/life balance and we can leave after 4.30pm but the reality is that the amount of work we have to do makes that impossible. I find that I actually work much longer days now that I am only part time! We have a signing in/out book which the new head introduced a couple of years ago, so I'm sure she is loving being able to see who is sneaking off early! Don't know if that is standard practise?

cricketballs Wed 06-Feb-13 00:58:51

I get in work about 7.10 to set up for the day (most staff don't get in until after 8.15) and I leave about 15 mins after the end of the school day unless there is a meeting. I do work at home. I got into this habit as I can't settle in the morning unless every thing is there and ready to go for the day so I go in early to ensure all resources etc are there for every lesson; I leave early as I prefer to sort out my own home/dc etc then I work after everyone has had their tea, homework done and they have settled down for the night.

Luckily I have never worked in a school where this monitoring takes place although I have had HoDs/colleagues that seem to think the visible approach (even if they have nothing to do!) is the way to do things

deleted203 Tue 05-Feb-13 23:36:15

I work in a secondary school too. Because we are a rural area there are very few 'after school' sessions as many parents simply could not pick kids up and there is no public transport.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now