What time do you leave school?

(58 Posts)
Euphemia Mon 04-Feb-13 19:23:14

Is there an expectation that you'll be there until 5pm? Is anything said if you choose to leave earlier?

TheNebulousBoojum Mon 04-Feb-13 19:26:47

Usually around 5.45, because the premises officer locks up just before 6.
If you leave earlier no one minds because we all work our arses off and everyone knows that. We don't have anyone on our 2 form entry staff who regularly leaves before 5.

BigcatLittlecat Mon 04-Feb-13 19:27:04

Our school shuts at 5. Sometimes people leave just after the children and sometimes stay until they kicked out. Our head lets us get on with it as long as the work is done!
Sometimes I have a bad day and all I want to do is get home! Today got all my marking done and left at 4.45.
I thought that after school was not part of directed time unless it was a meeting.
Probably not helpful but that's what happens with us!

In leave at 3:30 every day because I have to pick up DS at 3:45.
I used to work until 6, but my return from mat leave coincided with a new head, who doesn't expect us to work long hours. I do have to work once DS is in bed. I do all my work at home and generally work until quite late. Some other members of staff have commented about me leaving early.

Every day apart from staff meeting day that should have said.

Panzee Mon 04-Feb-13 19:50:06

4.15 or so, have to pick up son from nursery after that. Our school is not big on presenteeism, there is an informal agreement to be there 10 minutes before and after school but that's all.

ReluctantMother Mon 04-Feb-13 19:51:06

I leave at 5 as I have to pick DP up from work just after and then ds from childcare at 6. It is very varied at my school: some people are out the door at four, and many still there at seven.

happilyconfused Mon 04-Feb-13 20:01:50

Get in at 8. Leave at 5 to 5.15 apart from twilight training then it is 6.10 and parents evenings

chocolateshoes Mon 04-Feb-13 20:06:33

I get in at 8 but often leave by 4 (we finish at 3.05), sometimes earlier to pick up DS. But I'm part time and work pretty much all day on my days off, and often in the evenings. Obviously if I have a meeting I'm there til nearer 5.

abbierhodes Mon 04-Feb-13 20:16:08

Normally around 4.30/4.45. Around once a week I stay until 6ish, and once a week I leave before 4 to pick DS up from a club. Once every couple of weeks I treat myself to leaving 'on the bell' which, in reality is ten minutes after!
I regularly work until 11 once the kids are in bed though, and most of Sunday afternoons.

At our place it varies massively, and as long as you're doing your job no one cares. Which is as it should be IMO. I can't imagine working somewhere you're expected to be on the premises just for show. Hate 'presenteeism'.

Hulababy Mon 04-Feb-13 20:21:40

No expectation at my school to stay late. Some people do, some prefer to take work home to do there. No one notes any leaving times and no one cares how others work so long as the work is done.

FelicityWasCold Mon 04-Feb-13 20:23:32

At our place we can come and go as we like as long as the lessons get taught and ALL the work gets done.

One of the many reasons I love the independent sector- directed time does not exist as a concept.

ninah Mon 04-Feb-13 21:40:54

8-5.30 here I like to get as much done as possible while at school

PopMusic Mon 04-Feb-13 22:54:05

I work part time. Get in between 8 and 8.15. Leave most days by 4.15, occasionally leave at 3.30 to collect DS and sometimes leave after 4.30 but only if I am having a gossip. luckily, meeting takes place on a day i don't work. I work 3 days a week. At home, one evening I do the planning for the areas i am responsible for and one morning, I catch up with the books I'm responsible for.

TwllBach Mon 04-Feb-13 22:59:11

I aim to get in at 7.45 and leave at ten to five. I'm an NQT though. Nearly everybody else in school arrives at 8.30 and leaves at 3.45.

Clary Mon 04-Feb-13 23:01:57

I leave between 3.45 and 4.15 at the absolute latest (unless I have a meeting or p eve!)

I am far from being the first person to go. School finishes 3.30. I get in before 8 and do lots of work in the evenings; I just can't be late at school as I need to wrangle my kids between 4.30 and 6pm.

AFAIK it's not an issue.

ninah Mon 04-Feb-13 23:11:22

pop, what's 3 days a week like? does it give you your life back?

PopMusic Mon 04-Feb-13 23:26:33

I am a supply teacher whose contract just keeps getting extended and extended. I love working just three days a week. But I have a very good professional working relationship with my partner teacher - communication is key. We also have quite a similar style of teaching which helps. We split the planning and the books down the middle so that's half the workload. I love where I work - the foundation team is brilliant.

Even as a permanent teacher, I went to part time as soon as I came back from maternity leave. I don't know how parents of young children manage on a full time basis. I definitely have my life back, I would never teach full time ever again. I get time to spend the weekends with my DS because I am not marking/planning. I get time to watch crappy tv, I go see a film in the weeknight and not worry about feeling too tired the next day and I'm not exhausted all the time.

I agree Pop, even with a one year old who doesn't sleep, I'm not as tired now as when I used to work full time.

zingally Tue 05-Feb-13 13:29:45

Usually between 4:45 and 5:15. Tends towards the latter end of that though. I try and arrive in school for 8am.

noblegiraffe Tue 05-Feb-13 13:37:38

I also work 3 days a week, although spread over 5 days as I am secondary maths and have to work to fit the timetable.

I agree that I've got my life back, I do most of my work at school, work the occasional couple of hours in the evening and a bit on Sunday, and I also get to spend plenty of time with my DS. Couldn't go back to working full time now, it's insane.

ninah Tue 05-Feb-13 16:01:49

I am really, really tired. Mind you we have just had the Big O.

Euphemia Tue 05-Feb-13 17:01:57

I've just taken on a FT post after a few years of PT/supply. Regretting it! Where's my liiiiiffffeee? sad

Arisbottle Tue 05-Feb-13 18:38:29

6pm. Most of our staff are still in at 5pm.

AViewfromtheFridge Tue 05-Feb-13 18:49:44

I get in about 30 seconds before briefing starts, but will generally stay until about half five, when the computer system shuts down. I can't work at home, so a couple of hours at school a day means I keep on top of everything. Occasionally I'll stay later or go for an early dart, no one keeps track though. Except maybe on the mornings when I arrive 30 seconds after briefing starts and I have to sneak in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now