Do I have enough qualifications to do teacher training?

(12 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Fri 01-Feb-13 20:45:10

I've got a degree in criminology.

I've got a midwifery advanced diploma, but didn't top it up to a degree as I never did my dissertation.

I've got some kind of teaching experience. I used to teach teenagers at a sure start centre and taught a course which was the equivalent of a gcse.

I'm interested in secondary school teaching. Some friends said that with my midwifery qualification I could teach science....but I'm not sure as its not a degree. But then I do have a degree in a different subject.

cherrypiesally Fri 01-Feb-13 21:40:13

Look at the teacher training agency website, it may help.

The open university website may also help.

Usually PGCE courses and similar require a NC subject at degree level to teach R- year 11. PGCE in FE may be different.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 02-Feb-13 10:41:36

Thanks, I think I might not have enough as my degree isn't in a nc subject. It's a shame, if I'd done my dissertation when I did my midwifery diploma it would apparently be enough to be a biology teacher. I didn't bother topping my diploma up to a degree as I'd already got one and its too late now.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 02-Feb-13 10:42:11

Ill ring up the local pgce place next week to confirm.

FourArms Sat 02-Feb-13 21:29:24

Keep plugging away and don't accept the first answer. I've got a 50:50 Science: Business degree and was initially told I wouldn't get on to a Science degree. 22 months later I'm sat here marking work in my NQT year.

snowmummy Sat 02-Feb-13 21:36:35

You don't need to have a degree in a NC subject for a pgce in secondary. It depends on what you want to teach. With your qualifications and experience, I would say that you have enough to do a pgce or to find a school that will train you and put you through qts. Good luck.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 02-Feb-13 22:55:34

Thanks guys, sounds like there's hope.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 04-Feb-13 19:04:02

Well I spoke to the teaching line today who were fairly encouraging but said its up to the individual provider.

I've submitted two applications for the Schools Direct scheme. Thought I may as well try.

My degree isn't in the subject I teach. Before I applied for the PGCE I emailed the tutors at six different universities. Three didn't reply; two sent standard 'maybe' responses; and one sent a detailed reply that boiled down to "we'd consider you if you also did X course at the open university first". Guess which one I went to?

I'd highly recomment contacting the tutors at any courses you're interested in. If nothing else it will help you work out which would be the most helpful once you were on their course.

BrigitBigKnickers Sun 10-Feb-13 16:49:01

Surely Health and Social care/ sociology would be an obvious subject for a qualified Nurse/ Midwife- quite a popular GCSE I believe

Or perhaps Psychology- lots of stuff in the GCSE and A level about criminal behaviour- very pupolar subject too.

Knowsabitabouteducation Sun 10-Feb-13 16:53:44

I don't have a degree in a NC subject, but I had to demonstrate that 50% of my degree was in my prospective PGCE subject.

cherrypiesally Mon 11-Feb-13 18:34:26

Good luck with schools direct, glad it was encouraging. I co-ordinate the training at our school and schools direct is being promoted heavily so hopefully you'll get a place.
As said above health and social care would be a good option. Sociology would link with criminology part. If you need any docs let me know as I run both those courses at school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now