Children soiling themselves in school?

(38 Posts)
NameChanged4AReason Wed 16-Jan-13 11:26:17

I just want to know what your school policy is on children who have soiled themselves? Particularly, nursery and reception. Do you have two people clean up, do you not clean up until parents are called, do you get the parents to come in or does something else happen? There was an incidence at a school that I did a days supply which made me deeply concerned - to cut a long story short a boy was left in his soiled clothes for over an hour because of child protection. I dont want to go into details because I dont want to be outed but surely the rights of the child to be in clean clothes and the lack of dignity is just as important?

MariusEarlobe Mon 11-Feb-13 01:43:30

It's pretty common for 3 year in nursery, four year olds in reception to have the odd accident because they've become engrossed in an activity and left it till last minute and not made it. Nothing to do with being shy.

In nursery a specified TA cleaned and changed.
In reception child was given wipes to clean self and helped dress unless covered in it and specified TA cleaned. We had a sluice sink. Clothes rinsed and in a bag.

Only school I've known to send home was a tiny village school.

Phoebe47 Thu 09-May-13 12:25:34

Dd2 frequently wet herself during the first half term at school and she was changed in to clean pants and her school pinafore washed and dried! I had signed a permission form for this to be done (given to all parents on their child's entry to school) but had not expected it to be needed as she had been toilet trained since 2 years old and never wet or soiled at home. Eventually, I realised what the problem was - she was holding on too long and did not make it to the toilet in time. The reason for holding on was that she did not like going into the toilet as she had seen a spider there on one occasion and this put her off as she hated creepy crawlies. Once we realised what the problem was the Nursery Nurse in the class offered to check the toilet before she went in (toilet led off the classroom) and the problem was instantly solved! Fortunately she has grown out of her spider phobia.

CheesyPoofs Thu 09-May-13 12:56:09

DD wet herself a couple of times in reception. They gave her clean clothes to change into and I was given her wet clothes in a bag at home time.

PinkMangoSays Fri 10-May-13 21:51:21

I used to be a TA in a Y1 at a boys prep school and it happened more than most people would imagine it would, excitement at playtime etc. just forgetting to go to the toilet. We even used to have a spare bag of pants. They would just be cleaned up, changed and the dirty clothes sent home wrapped in a plastic bag.

CabbageLeaves Fri 10-May-13 21:57:03

I went in as mum help a lot and was asked to supervise a little boy changing himself after soiling. I was [shocked] and a bit lost because tbh he needed a wet wipe or wash down and I was not comfortable doing this. Teacher was alone with class so I think I was her best bet! I was very 'known' to the whole staff having had DC at school for 10 yrs but it was still a bizarre decision by the teacher

RachelHRD Fri 10-May-13 22:14:20

DS (5) has a care plan in place in Reception as he suffers from chronic constipation. I supply pull ups, wipes, bags, clean clothes etc and 2 staff members clean and change him as he is still in pull ups. They even installed a changing unit in the disabled toilet for him and would have looked into installing a shower if we felt he needed it.
We have been incredibly lucky in that his teacher and TA's have been amazing and his main TA even instigated putting him in pants with a continence pad. Sadly recent problems have meant he is currently back in pull ups but again they are doing as much as possible to keep encouraging him to use the toilet. Can't fault their dedication in helping him.
I would be horrified if he was ever left in soiled clothes for a prolonged time but sadly I have heard its not uncommon in some schools hmm

Every nursery and school should have a comprehensive Intimate Care Policy that covers all of this, parental consent, safeguarding concerns, dignity for the child, staffing, time scales, etc.

In fact if anyone wants a copy of ours, PM me and I'll email it to you on Monday!

ipadquietly Sat 11-May-13 12:58:30

A genuine question:
Anyone know why it's getting more and more common for children to wet and soil themselves at 4 or 5?

Our YR children have several 'incidents' a day (worrying at this time of year when children should be nearly ready for Y1). Several years ago this wouldn't have happened.

Is it due to poor diets? junk food? additives? parenting? advice from HV/GPs? medication?

MayTheOddsBeEverInYourFavour Sat 11-May-13 13:11:47

My ds5 has had this problem recently, the school call DH to go in and change him. Tbh it's not ideal and can be pretty difficult because he is my full time carer and looks after our youngest, but I understand why they do it

mrspaddy Sat 11-May-13 13:17:36

I agree the child should be changed as soon as possible. We allow for one member of staff to change a pupil but all of our toilet doors are left ajar.. I always explain to the child what I am doing and if they can do some of the cleaning up themselves I praise and encourage that. If the incident was early in the day, we throw their clothing into the wash. However, we have a high pupil:staff ratio. Parents always appreciate this.

Cravingdairy Sat 11-May-13 13:26:12

ipad I vividly remember wetting myself in P1 and I would have been coming up to 6. I can't imagine the teacher didn't notice but she didn't do anything about it. There were plenty of other incidents with other pupils. I suspect schools are being more proactive about ensuring children are clean and dry rather than turning a blind eye. Surely a good thing?

ipadquietly Sat 11-May-13 13:36:00

I'm not being judgey craving, but there has been an unusual increase in children soiling themselves (particularly), and children on constipation medication within the last few years.
Just wondered why.

FortyFacedFuckers Sat 11-May-13 13:52:39

My DS had an accident when he was 5 or 6 as he had a bit of an upset tummy after his lunch when he went to the toilet they were busy and he had an accident while he was waiting. His school left him in the toilet until I came home from work and picked him up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now