starting new job tomorrow...

(17 Posts)
deleted203 Mon 07-Jan-13 21:16:10

Glad you had a good day. (I'm back in tomorrow, groan...grin).

Thank you all. Day One went well so thanks for your support.

I still dont know what other teachers do, but my classes all stood behind their chairs at the start & end of each lesson. Thanks for reassuring me that was ok (why was I even worrying about that?!)

I.hope EcoLady, Bubblegum & Brian's cousin all has good days too smile

deleted203 Mon 07-Jan-13 00:37:54

If you are secondary then I'm with AViewFromTheFridge. I'm a secondary teacher of 20 odd years, and I always expect classes to line up in the corridor before I let them in. Start firmly - you can always ease off, but it's very difficult to toughen up. Biggest tip would be to have a seating plan - I find alphabetical order, boys next to girls the best way to do it initially. (Although I will probably move people later on). Even after many years I never let classes sit where they feel like it (as it will always be next to the people they want to mess about with/chat to). Also a seating plan with a copy on the desk in front of you will allow you to learn names much more quickly. Good luck.

EcoLady Mon 07-Jan-13 00:28:23

Another one starting tomorrow ... and it's my first teaching job after a huge career change! At least I just have an Inset day, but my planning is going v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y.

Amerryscot Sun 06-Jan-13 21:27:41

What is a standing start?

Is it when the students stand behind their desks at the start of a lesson while you wish each other "good morning"?

This is how it works in my school.

I think it depends on the school, but even if the rest of the school sloths into lessons, you can still demand of your students what you want, unless there is a specific school policy.

FrustratedSycamoreIsNesting Sun 06-Jan-13 21:14:19

Imo Andrew lincon's type of class are the best and most rewarding, but it's a different style of teaching to what you use with an angelic class.

Standing starts are down to the teacher, at our school the class waits outside the classroom and the teacher gets to tell the class to come in ad either stand behind desks or sit down. If you do it from the start they will quickly get used to it and do it for you (whether the other teachers do it or not).

X posts. Thanks AView. That's my current plan. And BrianCox, when I read your post I thought 'ooh, I have a cousin' (so clearly more than two cousins in the world too grin)

AViewfromtheFridge Sun 06-Jan-13 21:09:02

FWIW, I still get The Fear after every holiday, and this is my sixth year at the same school!

Bubblegum78 Sun 06-Jan-13 21:07:31

I'm also starting a new job tomorrow (NHS) good luck xx

Thanks all. thanks That's good to hear FromGirders. For some incomprehensible reason, dh has put Teachers on dvd so now I'm just assuming all my new classes will be like Andrew Lincoln's. Shudder.

AViewfromtheFridge Sun 06-Jan-13 21:01:32

PS. An assuming you're secondary! Probably different if not!

AViewfromtheFridge Sun 06-Jan-13 21:00:38

I would ask about the standing starts tomorrow, but even if it's not a rule, I would enforce it. It means you establish your authority right from the beginning of the lesson - this is my classroom and we do things my way.

Even if you spend the whole lesson making them file in an out until they get it, it'll be worth it in the long run!

Good luck!

FromGirders Sun 06-Jan-13 20:59:20

My dd is getting a new teacher on Tuesday. She's so looking forward to meeting her / him! I hope you have lovely classes :-)

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Sun 06-Jan-13 20:55:00

Just read your profile and it appears there are more than 2 teachers in the world grin

If it helps, she is also bricking it - so you are not alone!

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Sun 06-Jan-13 20:53:54

No idea as not a teacher (sorry you popped up in Actvie convos)

Just had to check if you were my cousin, as she also starts a new job tomorrow and there are obviously no other teachers in the world except her grin

Good luck!

HumphreyCobbler Sun 06-Jan-13 20:52:14

Good luck. New jobs are much worse in the anticipation than in the doing! once you start you will be fine.

Sorry, I don't know what a standing start is blush

... suddenly bricking it.

Tips?

And a random question (which is weirdly freaking me out most) do most schools do 'standing starts? Will the kids expect it or will they expect to just come rolling in & sit down?

Ta.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now