Can anyone recommend a good book about punctuation for yr 4/5? Terribly dull, sorry but I need your help!

(8 Posts)
LynetteScavo Wed 19-Dec-12 16:54:53

Sorry, I was being a bit dozy this am! blush

MoreFrontThanBrighton Wed 19-Dec-12 13:56:17

No! Year 4/5 so the children are 8/9/10 yr old grin

PrimrosePath Wed 19-Dec-12 08:20:30

My year 4 dd enjoyed 'girl's like spaghetti' by Lynne Truss.

It's a picture book showing how apostrophe can change the meaning of a sentence. Quite simple, but she found it hilarious. You might be able to look inside on amazon.

LynetteScavo Wed 19-Dec-12 07:14:26

I think if you model sentences with them, and ask them to remember to use it in their writing.

Surely four and five year olds will only be using capital letters, full stops, finger spaces and maybe question and exclamation marks?

We are talking reception here, aren't we?

MoreFrontThanBrighton Wed 19-Dec-12 06:56:17

Very cool and I'm sure they'd love it but not sure how it will actually help get punctuation in their writing! <lacks imagination>

LynetteScavo Wed 19-Dec-12 06:47:12
LynetteScavo Wed 19-Dec-12 06:46:00

Ku Fu Punctuation?

Don't think there's a book though. hmm

MoreFrontThanBrighton Wed 19-Dec-12 06:41:59

I do release for a year 4/5 teacher and she has asked me to do a big focus on punctuation each week in literacy on top of what she is doing from day to day. I don't want to teach from a book but thought it might be a good starting point for making sure I am covering what I need to as I am new to this year group (although not to teaching!)

I've looked on amazon (happy to buy a book secondhand) but there are virtually no reviews or the ability to look inside the book. I need to go to a bookshop and look really but am jam packed with stuff to do before we go away for Christmas so over to you lot! Can anyone recommend a good starting point?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now