Please advise me on how to give negative feedback to a colleague

(16 Posts)
lecce Thu 13-Dec-12 21:08:07

I had to do a book and folder audit this week. The second in department's folders were shocking, tbh. Assessments were marked ridiculously generously with very limited annotations and, frankly, useless targets. In one case, a task he set has simply not been taught properly and pupils have been allowed to use up reams of coloured paper writing out, for example, lists of their favourite songs. A pupil from the class has, in fact, complained but that seems to have been dealt with (unfairly to the child, imo) but now I have seen evidence that backs up the child's complaints.

I have discussed it with my Hod (and shown her the work - she agrees with me) and now I will have to give feedback to him. I am absolutely dreading it. My only experience of this kind of thing is with students and NQTs. This man thinks he is super-teacher and takes any kind of criticism really badly. Last time HoD had to raise an issue with him he did not speak to her for two weeks!

Does anyone have any 'dos' and 'don'ts' for me?

Sargesaweyes Thu 13-Dec-12 21:24:47

Any positives that you can mention at all? Then bring in areas for development. Show him your folders to compare and hopefully he will see for himself what he could add.

TheMysteryCat Thu 13-Dec-12 21:29:03

10 minute manager is a great book for this. Best approach might be to give one piece of positive feedback, the follow with the negative and what needs to be done to improve. Set a new review date and realistic target to improve.

deleted203 Thu 13-Dec-12 21:29:05

Oh golly....this is dreadful. What is your position in dept and why are you doing the audit? (Just trying to understand if she is HoD and he is No 2, then I take it you are another member of dept?).

Cybbo Thu 13-Dec-12 21:32:09

Could you explain the reason for the audit was to ensure consistency and you noticed some potential discrepancies in the folders . Then give him a model of what he needs to be doing to ensure consistency. If you word it accentuating the benefits for the pupils and for him then it may go down better. And if he sulks, at least you know you're doing the right thing

lecce Thu 13-Dec-12 21:32:28

Thank you for replying. That is always the approach I have taken with students and NQTs and it has always been fine. The thing is, and I know this sounds pathetic, I am scared of how he will react. I can imagine him storming out, slamming the door, finding a way of blaming me, not speaking to me after... He can be pretty intimidating. I know I need to just do it...

yuleheart Thu 13-Dec-12 21:33:55

Start by discussing a good point.

Then move onto the point in question and show him physical evidence, ask him for his thoughts, reiterate your concerns then ask him/discuss what can be done to improve and agree on a course of action.

Keep your voice at an even level and don't say anything accusatory, just state facts.

Move back to discussing a good point.

If he then chooses to act like a child and not talk to you for two weeks, ignore it and carry on as normal.

When I had to do it at an appraisal and subsequent meeting (also attended by HR) I had a 50+ woman having a tantrum like a two year old!

lecce Thu 13-Dec-12 21:34:48

Sorry, cross-posted with lots there. I am KS3 co-ordinator and the only other TLR holder in the department. Yes, will just have to be happy with moral high-ground smile.

DameFannyGallopsBEHINDyou Thu 13-Dec-12 21:35:47

Don't be afraid to use lots of silences - say there's a problem, give him time to process that, then go through what the problem is. If he storms out or somesuch that's a disciplinary problem and should be escalated to the hod I would have thought?

Bluestocking Thu 13-Dec-12 21:37:10

Why were you put in the position of auditing the second in department's work and feeding back to him, when you are presumably not his senior? Shouldn't the HoD give the feedback with you? Sounds like a potentially explosive situation where the HoD should step up to give you support - but perhaps I've misunderstood the protocol involved?

tribpot Thu 13-Dec-12 21:40:31

Just as yuleheart says. Keep your cool. You're not friends, you're colleagues. If he blows up he'll make himself look foolish. You absolutely cannot give ground to him - you need to channel Cartman out of South Park "Respect mah authorit-eh!" (not necessary to use this exact phrase wink )

Calm. Factual. Businesslike.

CabbageLeaves Thu 13-Dec-12 21:47:47

lecce - not a teacher but facing similar scenario.
My colleague will react like a sleeping lion that has been poked. She has spent yrs intimidating everyone to not tackle her - her behaviour is now pretty entrenched and she feels very entitled to do what she likes.

I politely asked her to do something the other day and she snapped YOU DO NOT TELL ME HOW TO DO MY JOB (and I mean snapped...almost spitting it out!)
One example of many many many

I am her boss confused

I have involved HR because it is beyond what is acceptable behaviour now. She is going through another 'procedure' with HR so they don't wish to start another.... I could be seen as bullying... meanwhile I have had 4 months of barely contained anger from her. I'm very stressed and feel sick when she approaches me. Whilst I know I sound pathetic she really is a Rottweiler and apparently is untouchable sad So I continue with polite contained behaviour and she is vile to me.

lecce Thu 13-Dec-12 21:52:06

Bluestocking because, as KS3 co-ordinator, I am responsible for the KS3 folders. As second, he is more to do with KS4 (though I had another thread here about how little he does for his extra money...)
Tbh, I feel the Hod is very a little intimidated by him too.

deleted203 Thu 13-Dec-12 23:17:07

It's a shit situation, but if you are KS3 co-ordinator it needs to be tackled. I think Yuleheart has the best suggestion. Be professional and calm and if he storms out you will need to speak to HoD and say you have raised these concerns but do not have the reassurance you require that he is going to effectively tackle the issues. The dept is her ultimate responsibility.

Leafmould Thu 13-Dec-12 23:21:39

A shit sandwich, I think it is called.

Start with a positive, then the shit, and then finish it off with a positive.

Inclusionist Fri 14-Dec-12 09:09:10

You could try getting him to do the talking with open ended questions and see if you can get him to expose his own weaknesses... like:

'Can you talk me through these targets you have set..' 'Tell me about how you've communicated to the children what their next step in learning is..' 'If Ofsted picked X to interview, what do you think X would say he learned from doing this piece of work and what their next step would be?'

He may realise he can't answer these questions well enough and then you have grounds to facilitate him finding ways to tighten it up.

You cold go with the tone of 'yeah, ok, we know you're outstanding, but this is all about Ofsted's hoops if you are feeling wussy grin

However, if he's a complete narcissist this tactic may not work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now