Help, quick advice on interview needed!

(10 Posts)
EcoLady Wed 12-Dec-12 00:51:21

So sorry to hear that it did not go your way. I did get mine - am thrilled and terrified at the same time! The right post will come up for you, I'm sure.

storynanny Tue 11-Dec-12 17:58:27

Thanks for asking, I did mean to post,but am on holiday( advantage of being a supply teacher!) it went really well, however an internal candidate was appointed!!!!!!!!!! Very common for this to happen I think, I'm not fussed at all though, I am ok with carrying on with supply. Did you get the job?

EcoLady Sat 08-Dec-12 18:18:39

Dare I ask how it went? I was thinking of you on Thursday.

I have the interview I was hoping for on Monday - 30 mins of literacy to year 4.

storynanny Wed 05-Dec-12 19:19:13

Love not live the marshmallow idea, iPad!!!!!!

storynanny Wed 05-Dec-12 19:18:43

Hi Eco, know what you mean about the possible spills but think I will just go for it as I can pre prepare drinks in small bottles, use trays etc. I will check to see who is allowed to drink , thanks for reminding me. I live the marshmallow idea but when I reread the numeracy framework, shape work seemed to be more to do with rotation etc in yr 5/6 and I know I will be expected to be doing a bit of challenge, particularly with high achieving year6.
What a palaver for 20 mins!!!!!!! now I've got a sore throat and cold coming, not sure I can face tomorrow. Look a bit like Im moving in with my big basket of props!!!!! Much easier in key stage one, just need a song, a story and a puppet!

EcoLady Wed 05-Dec-12 10:31:56

FWIW - I'm keeping fingers crossed for a year 4 interview next week, so I've got my eye on some of these Christmassy maths activities if I get asked to do a maths session. It'll be festive instant poems for literacy.

I'm doing supply at the mo, so have various of these printed out in my bag ready for if there are no plans.

EcoLady Wed 05-Dec-12 10:17:31

Just think about the practicalities of doing an investigation with squash in a library area ...
Sticky spillages!
Where is your water supply - can you easily transport jugs of water?
Where will you dispose of the mixtures that they don't like so don't drink?
Do you know about allergies in the group?

toomuch's idea about the shapes with marshmallows is very good. Or have a look at nrich.maths.org/frontpage for open-ended maths ideas.

Good luck for Thursday!

storynanny Tue 04-Dec-12 22:25:49

Thanks for your brilliant idea, something for me to think about. I've had an idea which I'm still thinking through, making a new drink for a reception class christmas party, with lots of measuring and mixing of different flavour squashes. As I won't know who is who in the group ability wise, I was thinking maybe to do do simple millilitre measuring and extending some with ratio? I know in key stage 1 food always goes down well in any activity so was thinking they might enjoy doing this and then drinking their results! Yes, have already decided not to bother with the ICT as knowing my luck it will all go wrong! Will just have a good reason up my sleeve when they ask me why in the formal interview bit afterwards.

toomuchicecream Tue 04-Dec-12 22:06:50

so 20 minutes means approx 5-8 mins input, then 10-12 mins independent activity and 5 mins summing up. I wouldn't worry about including ICT if you're in a library, and I've learnt from bitter experience that it's too likely to go wrong in an interview when you don't know how good the IWB etc is. Think you need to go down the route of doing something hands on and interactive, which will tick the inspiring learning box. Don't forget, year 5/6 children don't often get the chance to be as practical as you are used to in KS1 so it will have real novelty value for them and make your lesson stand out.

Presuming core subject means English, Maths or Science. How about you do a Maths activity where they make 3D shapes out of cocktail sticks and mini-marshmallows? The sticks are the edges and the marshmallows the vertices. Makes it easy to rehearse the properties! Could extend it by using bbq skewers for cuboids etc.

Am trying to think of "wow" activity for Science - there must be loads out there - anything hands on and practical, although with your time limit you'd have to have most of it set up for them. Maybe upthrust - have a big bowl/tank of water and see who can make their plasticine sink the slowest (so they have to change the shape)? Of fault finding with electrical circuits.

Is this helping?? Not got many brain cells left functioning by this time of night...

storynanny Tue 04-Dec-12 13:41:10

Just applied for .3 PPA cover in primary school. Most of my 35 years experience is key stage 1 and EY, but got to do a 20 min lesson with small group of mixed ability yr 5/6 title is "inspiring learning in a core subject" letter came today , interview is Thurs am, any ideas gratefully received! Not sure how to include some ICt as it's taking place in a small library teaching space.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now