KS2 Whole class recorder teaching .... is it so hard?

(5 Posts)

It's not the behaviour that would be a problem for me, it's telling if they are all playing the same note without looking at their fingers! And if you can't give them feedback, it's not such a good lesson- drumming would be easier for me as no "notes" to hear ( have an adequate sense of rhythm).

FloellaDaVille Fri 07-Dec-12 22:36:37

I teach whole class recorder, ukulele and drumming (using buckets!) as PPA cover to my Year 3 classes. I usually have a TA with me, but not always. It's completely doable for a teacher who has good behaviour management skills. I do a term of each finishing with a short concert to parents so it gives pupils a taste of playing different instruments before they choose peri instruments for Year 4. It can be a bit headache inducing!

Well, a caveat here that I am not musical and don't have a good ear, but I teach recorder clubs and struggle with more than six, the music teacher has asked me to do 10 and I find it v hard- I can't tell who has it right! And I am an experienced teacher ( ofsted outstanding!) who can teach most stuff to 30 kids! I would be pretty challenged if asked to teach my whole class the same instrument all at once. In fact I couldn't stand it!

lingle Mon 26-Nov-12 11:45:42

should add that about a third of the children in my orchestra have no instrumental lessons and i manage to integrate them - but I have to provide them extra support obviously.

lingle Mon 26-Nov-12 11:44:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now