working as an LSA (x-posted from Chat)

(4 Posts)
coldcupoftea Tue 20-Nov-12 20:15:12

I am a TA and at my school we get time off in lieu for any training or overtime. Being new to the job there have been quite a few bits of training that I have had to do outside my contracted hours, so far I have managed to have a day and a half off and have booked a half day so I can see my DD's nativity play.

TreadOnTheCracks Sun 18-Nov-12 21:25:05

Just to add I have dragged myself into school while really quite ill. I save any goodwill i have for when the children are ill. I think that is the case for most mums who WOH.

The one time I had a phonecall to pick my ill child up from their school, i made up the time I was away and my school were very good about it.

I don't think they would tolerate lots of time off though, I think your card would be marked and you'd be out at the first opportunity.

TreadOnTheCracks Sun 18-Nov-12 21:21:13

It depends a bit on the school you work at. I think while you are new, you won't be able to have any time off for special events. Once you've been there a while you might be able to ask for the odd couple of hours if it's really vital, as I said - depending on the school.

My school is quite good (I have a fab boss). My friend works at a nearby school where it would be highly frowned upon even to ask.

I haven't found it too bad, lot of things seem to have a morning showing and an afternoon one. I work until 1pm so I can do afternoons. My children are both primary age.

In my area there are lots of applications for each TA/LSA position. You will have an advantage if you have volunteered regularly in a school or done any courses (parent helper course, safeguarding, first aid and so on).

In order to get this job (my first in a school) I had to be prepared to take whatever was on offer, be totally flexible on hours, put my dc into breakfast / afterschool club - whatever it took to get a job. I think it would be tricky with a preschool age child, unless you have a really good childminder. The pay is very low, any childcare eats into it drastically. I love the job though.

Good luck

CountingSparrows Mon 12-Nov-12 13:22:22

How easy is it to do this job with school age and pre-school age children? I am applying for a LSA job in a nearby school (part-time), but wondering about how flexible it can be with regard to your own children, e.g their special school dates (nativity, sports day etc) and if they are sick - are you under similar pressure to teachers to attend, come what may or is there more flexibility with regard to sickness and pre-booked days off? I am not intending to be flaky at all but just want to be informed and not really things I want to ask at interview, think they might be a bit put off and hmm

I was keen to be a teacher at one point but I have been put off by the seemingly constant negative reports I get about hours, morale and conditions. I am also not sure I could handle the pressure tbh! I'd like to do a bit more than LSA level 1 eventually but wonder if it would be a good place to start a career working in education with children. There seem to be lots of positions advertised locally - is it quite competitive do you know? Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now