Sunday afternoon marking

(32 Posts)
notnowImreading Sun 11-Nov-12 18:11:46

Urgh. Just, urgh.

Year 9 English. They've done really well; they work hard; they deserve my time and attention. But... Urgh. Even using four different stamps doesn't make it okay.

Anyone else suffering at the moment?

I'm ignoring mine - Yr 11 English. It is leering at me from the corner of the room. I'm annoyed because I've already marked these essays once and they were so rubbish that I made the whole class re-do the work. So now I have to mark them twice because they were too lazy to do the work properly first time. Grrrrrr.

notnowImreading Sun 11-Nov-12 19:30:42

Yes, know that feeling too. That'll be next week for me.

almapudden Sun 11-Nov-12 19:34:33

I don't work weekends. Matter of principle.

May have to back down next weekend, though. <eyes looming report deadline>

notnowImreading Sun 11-Nov-12 19:36:05

How in the heck do you manage that?

WofflingOn Sun 11-Nov-12 19:37:32

I've got a stack of science books and a stack of English books.
<sigh>
Did the maths and topic in school, but just ran out of time.

almapudden Sun 11-Nov-12 20:51:02

<shrug> I'm very organised, but I also don't teach Ebglish or History, which generate huge piles of marking. Sorry, don't know what the answer is, apart from sheer determination not to bring work home!

Arisbottle Sun 11-Nov-12 21:36:22

I have marked 20 A Level essays this morning, I now have 55 test papers to mark, most of these are at least three sides of A4.

I try not to take work home at the weekend, I fail miserable. I never ever mark in the holidays though

Knowsabitabouteducation Sun 11-Nov-12 22:05:08

I very rarely take work home. However, I get into work by 8am and have two days where I stay to around 5. I also just take about 20 minutes for lunch.

TheWintersTale Sun 11-Nov-12 22:50:18

I mark at lunchtimes and before/after school. Occasionally mark at the weekend, but usually don't. smile

BodyOfEeyore Sun 11-Nov-12 22:51:22

Four hours marking the last half of my year ten controlled assessments. The downside of top set, I guess.

BodyOfEeyore Sun 11-Nov-12 22:52:14

Jesus, I don't leave work until after five and have to take marking home. What subjects do you teach?

Arisbottle Mon 12-Nov-12 01:02:45

I teach history , I have just finished marking sad

I always have a few hours of marking or other work to do in the evening? Despite being In work from 7:15 - around 6pm most days.

notnowImreading Mon 12-Nov-12 06:54:20

I start at 8, stay till 6 and still have to do nearly all my marking at home. I am very slow at marking, though; I realise this is my own fault.

Loshad Mon 12-Nov-12 22:04:52

knows, how do you get away with so little - like virtually everyone else in my school i am at work by 8 or 5 mins after. I stay until 5 (at least) every evening, and then usually mark for another 2 or 3 hours every night. I do have a very exam class heavy timetable but even so.
I have meetings/clubs nearly every lunchtime.

Knowsabitabouteducation Tue 13-Nov-12 07:04:07

I have small classes, and teach a subject that can be read really quickly. I'll often do the marking in class so they can write their own corrections, and take the books in afterwards for my comment.

I volunteered to do computer room supervision most lunchtimes, so I can do my own work while the students do their work in silence.

EvilTwins Tue 13-Nov-12 18:29:58

It's not marking which takes my time, it's planning. I teach drama so much of my marking has to be done on the spot, with videos taken to back up my comments. The planning takes bloody ages though, and I'm Head of 6th Form as well as Head of Performing Arts so all my frees in school are taken with teenage angst and UCAS forms.

BodyOfEeyore Tue 13-Nov-12 18:37:09

We are lucky that we don't have lunchtime clubs as our lunch is only 30 minutes long.

EvilTwins Tue 13-Nov-12 19:33:44

Our lunchtime is 40 minutes and I still have to shoehorn school show rehearsals in.angry

Arisbottle Tue 13-Nov-12 19:35:02

I don't know how you do it evil. Our lunch is one hour , which is about right to run an activity.

Knowsabitabouteducation Tue 13-Nov-12 19:45:49

Our lunch is one-hour 20 minutes. How can you have activities in less time? We also have after school activities until 5.30pm.

cardibach Tue 13-Nov-12 20:45:40

You are not lucky you don;t have lunch time clubs, BodyOfEeyore ! You can not be required to do them however long your lunch break! Iwent on strike for that in the 80s - please don;t undermine it everyone else. Your lunch time is yous. Hold on to it (and I say taht as the director of the school show - I do luchtime, after school and weekend rehearsals, but because I want to. Luck doesn't come into it!
I am an English teacher and avoid weekend marking whenever possible. It isn;t always, but efficient marking in PPA and using peer/self marking can reduce it. You'll die otherwise.

cardibach Tue 13-Nov-12 20:46:14

Apologies for all the typos above.

Loshad Tue 13-Nov-12 21:05:37

our lunchhour ! is only 45 mins, far too short for clubs/revision sessions imo. We still do them but i would love an hour instead.

EvilTwins Tue 13-Nov-12 21:07:35

I like play rehearsals really, it's just that it would be so much easier if we had longer, as I end up doing 3 or 4 a week. Still, it's a pretty short day- 8.45-3, so I can run a full hour of rehearsal after school and still be done by 4.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now