Help to Communicate with an Autistic Adult Learner

(3 Posts)
Amberc Tue 06-Nov-12 14:57:04

Hiya, does anyone have any tips on how to encourage communication with a high functioning Autistic learner? I have been told I need to adapt body language but don't know how as I have no experience. Any strategies I can use to encourage him to communicate during an activity? I tried the Autism helpine and they are all on training! Many thanks

sashh Wed 07-Nov-12 02:18:45

Just be honest and say "I don't know much about autism, what can I do to help communication".

And don't worry if there is no eye contact.

Donki Tue 13-Nov-12 19:45:53

I'm sure that someone with more experience will come along, but it might help to remember that many (but not all) people on the ASC struggle to understand metaphor. They are often very literal - if you say it is raining cats and dogs, they may be rather surprised for instance. Multiple meanings for words can also cause confusion at times. You may need to be clear about which meaning the word has in the context in which you are using it.

Many (but not all) people on the ASC find life much more comfortable if they know what to expect - so have a routine, let them know exactly what it is, and as far as possible stick to it - with advance warning for unavoidable changes where possible.

Some people on the autistic spectrum have sensory issues that may mean they find it hard to deal with a lot of noise, or some types of lighting.

Ask them! They will probably be experts on their own needs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now