Can anyone help me with this question ??

(6 Posts)
cazzimazzi Thu 04-Oct-12 21:27:05

Hi ! I've not long started as a support TA in a primary school and have just started doing my NVQ level 3 - supporting teaching and leaning in schools. I'm stuck on this question "4.2. Explain how legislation affects how schools work". I've listed all the relevant laws etc in the first question and so far have this as my answer: "Schools need to comply fully with all legal requirements. Legislation is put in place in schools to promote equality and to eliminate discrimination." but I can't find anymore info to expand on it. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks

partystress Thu 04-Oct-12 22:21:29

That sounds like a great start. Could you expand to include examples of the kinds of laws schools have to comply with AND what that means in practice? Eg CRB checks, health and safety legislation - risk assessments etc. I'm ashamed to say I don't know what the legal status of the National Curriculum is at the moment, but I know it was a legal requirement at one time. I think racist incident reporting is another area that comes straight out of legislation. Good luck with it.

MrsShrek3 Fri 05-Oct-12 01:30:06

It does sound like a great start. Are they "just" aiming at govt legislation or wanting you to take a look at more local decisions made by the education authority which direct how schools in a particular area or sector work? That said, you're more likely to be on the right track with actual LEGISLATION - the law - what we're stuck with like H&S, staffing ratios, curriculum, equality & every child matters etc (is that legislation or guidance? Am I rambling?) blush

<shuts up>

piprabbit Fri 05-Oct-12 01:48:09

It might be worth you taking a look at this document for school governors about their responsibilities to ensure the school behaves legally.

cazzimazzi Fri 05-Oct-12 16:22:32

Thanks peoples! I'm using the book by Louise Burnham as recommended by my assessor and the answer in the book is literally 5 lines ! I've already gone through how legislation is relevant in the school environment so didn't want to repeat myself. I'll have a good look at that link

sashh Sun 07-Oct-12 09:18:10

COule you do a table with three columns. In the first list the legislation, in the next put what could be done before that legislation, and in the final one what is done now.

So sex discimination - subjects could be limited to just boys or just girls, often with boys forced to do woodwork and girls forced to do cookery - now boys and girls have equal access to all subjects.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now