Needs some help for a NQT and how best to support her.

(9 Posts)
Louboo2245 Sun 23-Sep-12 19:21:23

I support individual children, who's behaviour is challenging. I meet with staff who have concerns with individual children, help to put in place IBP's and sort out problems at playtimes (we have a surprising number of problems at playtimes) As well as making good relationships between school and the parents of said children.

I've discussed putting in place a table points system (when I mentioned this she said I tried it for a morning but it didn't seem to work!) with the daily winning table getting the class computers the following morning for 10 minutes as this seems to work for years 5 and 6. TBH I think her and the other teacher need to get together and discuss how they are going to handle the class as their approaches are very different. Said it a few times and it still hasn't happened so will just have to see

I think they are just playing up for her. It would be hard to remove the ringleaders as there are 6 of them (I kid you not) Will just have to see what this week brings smile

noblegiraffe Sun 23-Sep-12 18:31:38

I see, I wasn't sure what a behaviour mentor was - what do you do with regards to behaviour that might help her?

Yes, her mentor would be the appropriate first port of call. She needs to be observed so that someone can help point out where she's going wrong. Is it lack of routines? Unclear instructions so that the kids don't know what they're meant to be doing so they play up? Ineffective use of sanctions? The kind of help she needs depends on that.

Or it could just be a pain in the arse class playing up for an inexperienced teacher (seems a bit unfair that an NQT has been given an acknowledged 'difficult class'). In which case it might be helpful if the ringleaders were removed from the class for a period of time to allow her a chance to win the others over without their influence.

Louboo2245 Sun 23-Sep-12 17:29:44

Will mention this to her tomorrow and see if things improve over the next few weeks. Thanks

I am an NQT and last year had a difficult class. Make sure she is aware that she can approach her mentor for help and that this will not be seen as a failure. I worked with another NQT who also struggled and I know that she didn't ask for help as she thought this would go against her.

I've also used the TES forum on behaviour a lot for advice. Tom Bennett is really good at putting forward strategies and there is a lot of useful advice on there.

WofflingOn Sun 23-Sep-12 14:23:33

All NQTs have a designated mentor, and part of their 10% off timetable should be used to observe other teachers in order to develop their own practice.
The behaviour policy may be being rewritten, but until it's replaced, she should be following the old one.

Louboo2245 Sun 23-Sep-12 14:21:05

I am a Behaviour mentor, not qualified as a teacher which is why I am eager not to tread on her toes or make her feel uncomfortable. (I'm a level 5 nursery nurse)
I spoke to the late EYFS teacher who has leant me (to pass on) how to get the buggers to behave.
With her being NQT should she have a mentor to whom she could talk to about these problems?
The behaviour policy and procedure, is currently being changed and reviewed by the Senco (who is the other teacher in this classroom)
I have spoken to the TA who is in that classroom everyday and she is close to tearing her hair out.
The only time she has seemed to have a good lesson is when the class were doing IT and researching their topic.
The class has been known throughout school as a difficult class, and responded well last year to having strong routine.

WofflingOn Sun 23-Sep-12 14:08:01

Read through the school's behaviour policy with her and check she's following what the class already expect and know is the correct procedure.
Talk to her mentor and say that she seems to need support now.

noblegiraffe Sun 23-Sep-12 13:44:15

Have you observed her teaching? That would be a first step, otherwise you won't be able to see what she's doing and suggest ways to amend it.
Does the school have a behaviour policy that she should be implementing?

I'm not clear from your post whether you are a teacher.

Louboo2245 Sun 23-Sep-12 13:29:35

I work in a primary school as a Behaviour mentor and my room backs on to the year 4 classroom and also shares a door into the room.
Mon, Tues, Weds has a NQT working in there and Thurs, Fri they have a more experienced member of staff.
Anyway to cut to the chase, the class are playing up for her Big time, and on more than one occasion I have had to step in an resume control. I have always spoken with her about this after, and she doesn't seem to mind that I have done this and has thanked me for doing so.
I want to help her to be able to do this herself and demand more respect from the pupils, without having to step in.
I have suggested talking to the job share so they can come up with some strategies to run through the week so there is some continuity, but so far this hasn't happened. I know time is limited for teachers, but I think she is struggling and when we chat in a morning, she's not as happy as she was at the stat of term.
Any ideas or help in ways for me to support her please

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now