If I receive any more stuff on how to deliver an outstanding lesson I am going to scream

(145 Posts)
orangeandlemons Tue 18-Sep-12 19:14:38

...and scream!

I can only do so much in one lesson. I am so sick of OFSTED being rammed down our throats.

I used to enjoy my job sad

BonnyDay Sun 23-Sep-12 13:08:54

Yes i have plentyt of lessons that involve being crap obviously

* usual disclamiers *

sheesh

oops - I'm really sorry if my response sounded snippy - it's just that if Ofsted said my lesson was inadequate, then I wouldn't label myself with that, just rationalise it as a one-off bad day type thing. So to me it makes sense not to do it with any of their judgements. If that makes any sense - it's more about self-preservation than criticising you!

BonnyDay Sun 23-Sep-12 14:16:37

I think I WOULD label self thus ;)

Like the ASBO badge of humour syndrome. ;)

BonnyDay Sun 23-Sep-12 14:16:50

Honour!!!

BonnyDay Sun 23-Sep-12 14:17:21

"This is mrs day., she's largely inadequate ". smile

I'd actually carve it onto a large stick and beat myself with it... grin

DoverBeach Sun 23-Sep-12 17:57:51

I don't know if this is helpful, but it seems that a school can get an outstanding rating for teaching even if very few lessons are judged to be outstanding.

From the unofficial feedback we got from our Ofsted this month, the vast majority of teachers were told that the (20 min segment) of their lesson was good. A very few got outstanding and a very few got satisfactory. Because 90% of lessons were good or outstanding, teaching was judged to be outstanding.

SuffolkNWhat Sun 23-Sep-12 17:58:08

I find the LA inspections are worst for the Bonny they love to get the boot in

SuffolkNWhat Sun 23-Sep-12 17:59:00

worst for the...? wtf

worst for that obviously

Trying to plan Drama for after Christmas and my brain is in free fall.

planning for after Christmas? Good grief. shock

SuffolkNWhat Sun 23-Sep-12 18:07:38

As you know FOTM it's on top of a million and other things that needs to be done so thought I would get it out of the way.

TeamEdward Sun 23-Sep-12 22:22:38

I am labelled "Inadequate" and, to be honest, I couldn't give a shiny shit.

sassytheFIRST Mon 24-Sep-12 20:13:43

Another inset today: ergo another video of a good lesson complete with feedback as to why. I am losing the will to live. All our training these days is "how to impress ofsted"; none seems to be info on how to improve the learning of the pupils. Grr.

ImperialBlether Tue 06-Nov-12 20:08:34

Oooh just discovered this thread!

We've just been Ofsteded a week after being done (sorry, no other word for it) by an Ofsted inspector who works on the side, charging a small fortune for her advice. Prior to that we had an expert who told us how to do our lesson plans. We followed her advice, the mock Ofstedder said she was wrong. She gave me a grade 2 - said it was a good grade 2. I asked how I could improve and she shrugged. I waited but it was clear that was the only available response. I wondered at that point how much she was being paid.

She then remembered something I'd done - I'd got the students to work out a formula as a group. It worked well; my lot struggle with Maths and don't tend to see patterns in formulae; this helped them to do so. She asked why I hadn't just given it to them on a handout. Hmm good advice, that.

Mind you I work in a place where there's a notice on the wall:

Late is unacceptable
On time is late
Early is on time

No wonder the bloody world's in the state it is, what with that and 'satisfactory' meaning 'unsatisfactory' and 'good' meaning 'not good enough.'

knitknack Wed 07-Nov-12 20:19:10

It's less than something like 4 hours notice now, but they have to phone by 2pm to be in the next day. So if the school hasn't had a phone call by 2pm on Weds after that's another week in the clear!

What i don't understand is that if every child is making rapid and sustained progress in EVERY lesson, then presumably they've passed their GCSE in each subject by the end of year 8, have completed A level by year 10 and then they've STILL got to sit around presumably disproving gravity or something until they're 18. < scratches head>

And don't forget, there IS no 'satisfactory' any more - just 'notice to improve' (with all the joy that brings)....

knitknack Wed 07-Nov-12 20:20:59

I once asked an ofsted inspector how I could move my lesson from 'good with outstanding features' to 'outstanding' and she told me she didn't know!! Can you imagine if I told Naveed I didn't know how he could move from level 4a to 5c in front of an inspector?!

reindeerjumper Wed 07-Nov-12 20:23:42

Because I'm sure Lord Adonis will have some searing insights hmm

Viviennemary Wed 07-Nov-12 20:30:09

It will be a great day when Ofsted are finally consigned to the dustbin of educational history. They cause such a lot of misery and stress.

cardibach Fri 09-Nov-12 23:30:52

In my school Naveed spends most of his time kayaking. I quite like him, but he isn't making much progress as he misses half his lessons. I'm still responsible for getting him to his unrealistic target.

BrigitBigKnickers Fri 16-Nov-12 16:09:35

Ramming AFL down our throats is my bug bear. I work in an area of special needs (in a Unit attached to a mainstream junior school) where AFL just isn't useful!

But of course my DT (who knows diddly squat about the needs of the children I teach) still puts it on all my lesson observation feedback forms... angry

Oh and now we are told that all children (including those on a statement) are to make better than expected progress (i.e the same as NT) I have the highest expectations for my pupils and some of them do achieve the same as their peers but some of them have very very special needs- how the f*ck are they supposed to make more than 2/3 of a level each year? Can someone tell me how to do that please?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now