If I receive any more stuff on how to deliver an outstanding lesson I am going to scream

(145 Posts)
orangeandlemons Tue 18-Sep-12 19:14:38

...and scream!

I can only do so much in one lesson. I am so sick of OFSTED being rammed down our throats.

I used to enjoy my job sad

Themumsnot Tue 18-Sep-12 19:17:24

And worse, some SMT's perception of what they think Ofsted want is not in fact even close. But that will not stop them fetishing the three part lesson and the five page lesson plan.

DustyOwl Tue 18-Sep-12 19:19:17

It's got to the point where the word "outstanding" makes me shudder. It's not possible for all lessons to be outstanding or all schools, otherwise "outstanding" becomes "normal". Arghhhhhhh.

orangeandlemons Tue 18-Sep-12 19:24:49

Glad it's not just me then. I love my students, I love teaching. The 3 part rigid frame doesn't fit my subject or teaching style. I hate chunking or bitesize bits in lessons. I know they may fit younger kids, but I teach KS4 and 5. They need extended periods of concentration.

I would have hated chunking at school, it breaks up my concentration and sort of agitates me rather than engaging.

I wish they would just leave us alone

BrianButterfield Tue 18-Sep-12 19:31:35

Mini-plenaries. Shudder.

See, I like lessons that go:

1) I talk for a bit, ask a few questions, generate some discussion.
2) Class do some work (alone, in pairs or group work depending on task.)
3) Look at what they've done and give feedback (oral or written).

It's how lessons have been taught for hundreds of years and it seems to work OK!

LizzieVerekerGold Tue 18-Sep-12 19:34:18

I feel your pain oranges. By the time you've fitted in Starter, afl of prior learning, activation, main activity, mini plenary, consolidation, plenary (punctuated by afl, afl, literacy focus, afl, smcs or whatever it's called, bit more afl, open questioning, tiny bit more afl, numeracy) there's no time to actually absorb anything. Did I mention afl?

Or perhaps I just "require improvement". Grrrrr..

orangeandlemons Tue 18-Sep-12 19:41:12

Don't forget SEALS and PLTS too..............................as if.

Best lesson plan:

Starter: Shut up
Main bit
Plenary: Pack up

LizzieVerekerGold Tue 18-Sep-12 20:06:43

I like this lesson plan:

Starter: Listen to ME. No, don't interrupt my wisdom.
Main: Work on your own. Sssh. Don't speak to me. No, I don't care whether you underline it.
Plenary: What are you all having for tea? Now go away.

Feel free to use my plan. No, you're welcome.

clam Tue 18-Sep-12 20:24:23

Ooh, Lizzie. I'm going to use that tomorrow! grin

Craftymoo Tue 18-Sep-12 22:09:14

Don't forget your links to BLP, target vocabulary and differentiated success criteria... Oh, and how this relates to the targets for percentage of children achieving each sub-level by the end of term. Aaaarrrgh! It isn't even October yet.

diddlediddledumpling Wed 19-Sep-12 23:52:58

I've been teaching for 16 years and don't know what any of these acronyms mean grin

In which school diddle? Can I come work there if you've escaped the jargon?

diddlediddledumpling Wed 19-Sep-12 23:56:06

Sorry, I do know who SMT are. Although I avoid contact with them as much as I can.

diddlediddledumpling Wed 19-Sep-12 23:57:54

It's a girls' grammar in NI.

NellyJob Wed 19-Sep-12 23:58:16

sorry I am not a teacher but can I just ask....why do primary school teachers write 'success criteria' on the board, without explaining what 'criteria' means?

ravenAK Thu 20-Sep-12 00:06:31

In case SLGs slither past on a 'Learning Walk', NellyJob...

I think it should currently be a Learning Outcome though, which is a bit less obfuscatory, but then that was last week, so it might be an Achievement Identifier by now.

diddlediddledumpling Thu 20-Sep-12 00:06:36

I'm pretty sure not all primary teachers do that, nelly. I'd guess most probably explain what criteria means, but maybe kids find it hard to define when you ask them about it. they can still use it to guide their work.

NellyJob Thu 20-Sep-12 00:18:10

grin @ ravenAK
of course not all, I had one in mind diddlediddle

WofflingOn Thu 20-Sep-12 00:31:05

'sorry I am not a teacher but can I just ask....why do primary school teachers write 'success criteria' on the board, without explaining what 'criteria' means?'

Some might not, some have to have SC on their plans and walls but explain it in child friendly language, eg I will know I have succeeded when I have...
SC are one of the more recent features of planning and assessment.

WofflingOn Thu 20-Sep-12 00:33:06

'In case SLGs slither past'

Senior Learning Gits?
Senior Learning Gremlins?
Senior Learning Gods?

ravenAK Thu 20-Sep-12 00:47:38

SLuGs. Senior Leadership Group.

WofflingOn Thu 20-Sep-12 00:53:16

grin

WofflingOn Thu 20-Sep-12 00:54:30

Senior Lurking Group.
In corners, behind doors, sneaking in whilst you are distracted...

janji Thu 20-Sep-12 01:19:07

I've gone from 18 yrs of good to outstanding lessons to precompetency in a matter of 3 months under a new (vile bullying head) and her observations against ofsted criteria. How can I be good / outstanding for 18 yrs and suddenly am now unsatisfactory (whilst having been a deputy, acting head and qualified npqh)?!!

WofflingOn Thu 20-Sep-12 01:27:43

Because it is a subjective judgement by one individual who probably has a prescribed set of judgements in her head. It is soul-destroying if you don't work out the key triggers for a boss and know which specific hoops that one person needs you to jump through. Like being in an abusive relationship and working out what will please the one in control to avoid being victimised.
Not your fault, the nature of the system.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now