(57 Posts)
EdithWeston Sat 30-Jul-11 12:48:48

BBC report on crowds.

Anyone know when we'll see the dress?

EdithWeston Sat 30-Jul-11 13:32:46

No one else care?

< gets coat and watches tumbleweed >

mummytime Sat 30-Jul-11 13:41:09

My DD is very interested, but she's at the stables today. Hopefully there will be something on the evening news.

rainbowtoenails Sat 30-Jul-11 13:54:53

They were forbidden from selling the photos so we're probably not going to see much at all. I wonder if she'll change her name?

EdithWeston Sat 30-Jul-11 13:57:40

I was hoping for pix at least of arrivals at and departures from the Kirk for the bridal party, the Royal Family and lots of fit rugby players.

ZZZenAgain Sat 30-Jul-11 14:06:05

well I like all the Scottish accents in the reports telling us things will be pearrrrfect etc , but apart from that, not that excited tbh

They say on the BBC the crowds have been told there will not be much to see, narrow streets and no real view of anything

EdithWeston Sat 30-Jul-11 14:23:31

"It also might be that Mike Tindall is going to wear tartan, in the Phillips tartan, which is blues and purples” (Ceril Campbell, Stylist)

So it gets better - prospect of fit men in kilts. Possibly even Prince William - didn't he get a Scottish title was well as the Cambridge one?

VitaEstBonus Sat 30-Jul-11 14:26:54

I am predicting strapless with very obvious tan lines.

rainbowtoenails Sat 30-Jul-11 14:38:12

Im so pleased she's keeping her name. A feminist in the RF, yeah!

EdithWeston Sat 30-Jul-11 15:01:09

Pix of the guests arriving are beginning to be added to the BBC pix page.

The groom is in a normal morning coat (so hopes of kilts dashed!)

It could have gone either way on the name (Lucinda Prior-Palmer didn't seem to have any difficulty when she became Green), and it's a handy example for anyone who is getting it in the ear (especially from MILs) if they don't change.

hocuspontas Sat 30-Jul-11 15:24:57

She looks georgous in the pic

hocuspontas Sat 30-Jul-11 15:25:22

Why is it in Scotland? Is he scottish?

EdithWeston Sat 30-Jul-11 15:26:59

And here is pic of the dress on the bride's arrival. Only a half shot, so can't really tell much about it.

Looks like off-centre satellite dishes are the most frequent choice for female guests' hats.

PamBeesly Sat 30-Jul-11 15:30:15

Camilla always, always wears the same style, but it really works for her.

Martin Johnson in a suit!

<swoon>

brookeslay Sat 30-Jul-11 15:33:34

thats what I thought hocus perhaps they enjoy Scotland

Raahh Sat 30-Jul-11 15:39:17

I've just seen a few pictures of the guests- have to say Beatrice and Eugenie look much better at this wedding than the last one!

At least Zara hasn't go a sister to show her up!!

EdithWeston Sat 30-Jul-11 15:39:53

Pre-wedding commentary could only suggest it was because they liked Scotland and she'd really enjoyed her time at Gourdonstoun (but that's no where near Edinburgh, surely?)

Princess Anne's second wedding was in Scotland - but I think that was connected with standard practice on which churches remarry divorcees (which clearly doesn't apply here).

PamBeesly Sat 30-Jul-11 15:46:31

I thought Sophie Wessex and Beatrice and Eugenie were lovely, Camilla predictable, didn't get to see enough of Kate to make a decision, I'm sure they are all waiting with baited breath for my opinion, probably in that church tuned into mumsnet waiting for my verdict. Zara's dress was a little plain for my taste, especially as a Royal bride but then again she seems like a no frills woman.

EdithWeston Sat 30-Jul-11 15:53:02

I wish they were showing the inside of the Kirk.

It would be useful for future wedding etiquette AIBU thread to know where Admiral Sir Timothy was sitting - with Princess Anne? Or elsewhere away from the set-piece members of the bridal party. Also where Sandy Phillips would sit.

diddl Sat 30-Jul-11 16:04:17

I think that she looked lovely.

Knew she wouldn´t wear strapless though!

EdithWeston Sat 30-Jul-11 16:07:27

It does look as if it could have been strapless! Perhaps VitaEstBonus wwas onto something and the straps were a later addition?

belgo Sat 30-Jul-11 16:20:08

It occurred to me as well that the straps were added to cover the tan marks. But I'm glad it's not entirely strapless, that look is so boring.

I love her tiara.

Bue Sat 30-Jul-11 16:21:45

She pretty much wore exactly what I was expecting - I figured it would be traditional and defo not strapless! Thought the hair and tiara were a bit severe but otherwise very nice.

The little bridesmaids looked lovely! Very chic dresses, much nicer than the ones at the other royal wedding.

Waswondering Sat 30-Jul-11 16:22:08

Loved the flowers (above the church door esp nice!) and was less keen on the bridesmaids .... not a huge fan of short dresses.

Like the comment about satellite dishes smile

Thought Sophie looked great!

Who is he? Have never heard of him.

What is it with all the sideways hats? They all look bonkers imho.

Quite like the brown and cream princess but it's too tight and too short for her. She is so pretty and could be stunning - wonder if she has a stylist?

EdithWeston Sat 30-Jul-11 16:28:23

Sandy Phillips is Capt Mark Phillips' second wife.

Gottawearshades Sat 30-Jul-11 16:44:27

Zara studied at Edinburgh University, after Gordonstoun, and the Canongate Kirk is the one the queen uses when she is in Holyrood. I suspect Edinburgh is close to her heart....

NoelEdmundshair Sat 30-Jul-11 16:45:16

Thought the dress was rather meh.

BertieBasset Sat 30-Jul-11 17:01:53

Will someone please take that eyeliner pencil off Kate!

I thought the wedding dress was a bit dated - seemed quite 80's to me. But then it has probably come back into fashion and I missed it.

ChaoticAngelofGryffindor Sat 30-Jul-11 17:19:27

I liked the top half of the dress. The bottom half looked as if someone had got Zara's height wrong and they'd had to add some extra fabric.

I was disappointed the groom and groomsmen weren't in kilts. I soooooooo love a man in a kilt grin

allhailtheaubergine Sat 30-Jul-11 17:28:17

Did it specify 'nude shoes only' on the invitation I wonder?

MonkeyJungleConga Sat 30-Jul-11 17:30:54

Dress is nothing great. The straps at the top and the bit at the bottom look like they were added on - like a dress bought from ebay that's been altered to fit. Having said that she does look lovely in it.

Beatrice & Eugenie look nice actually, Kate's outfit is very boring from what I can see of it. Sohpie Wessex looks nice but why does why insist on these bulky jackets? Princess Anne's jacket is awful IMO, not improved by the gloves either.

Natalie Pinkham looks stunning IMO.

Waswondering Sat 30-Jul-11 17:40:08

Suspect Anne and HMQ both wearing gloves due to amount of hand shaking ....

RustyBear Sat 30-Jul-11 18:04:26

ChaoticAngel - hoping for men in kilts - Here's one for you...

PortBlacksandIsleOfDogs Sat 30-Jul-11 18:05:44

why does it look as if they made her dress too short the first time around?

PortBlacksandIsleOfDogs Sat 30-Jul-11 18:06:35

She does look lovely though and is so obviously smitten - the way she looks at him....

diddl Sat 30-Jul-11 18:28:01

I think it´s lovely & really suits her.

Looks effortlessly elegant to me.

lovecorrie Sat 30-Jul-11 21:53:33

who were the bridesmaids?

EdithWeston Sat 30-Jul-11 22:19:17

I'd like to know who the bridesmaids are too.

I've just seen the BBC coverage, and it was pretty sketchy (pity). But I was trying to make out what that well-wisher was wearing on her head.

PamBeesly Sat 30-Jul-11 22:43:23

The maid of honour was her best friend Dolly Maude and the little page boy was Ted, Dolly's son and Zara's godson, as for the other bridesmaids I'm not sure

PricklyThistle Sat 30-Jul-11 22:59:29

I had assumed that they had it in Scotland to keep the natives happy...
Princess Anne being such a Scottish rugby fan and all grin

EightiesChick Sat 30-Jul-11 23:00:29

Have just read this MSN blog which has a lot of very good pics of guests, rugby players in suits smile etc and follows events. I missed it on the news - anyone know if it is being shown again (probably at 3am on BBC News)?

Bue Sun 31-Jul-11 11:53:44

The teenager was Zara's half sister (Mark Phillips' daughter from second marriage), one of the little girls was Dolly Maude's daughter (I can't stop chuckling at that name!) and I think I read that the other girls were children of a rugby player.

VitaEstBonus Sun 31-Jul-11 12:23:26

OK, she didn't go strapless, phew.

I think she looked rather lovely and her flowers were gorgeous.

I am starting to find Kate very meh.

ChaoticAngelofGryffindor Sun 31-Jul-11 14:43:56

grin RustyBear

Okay, I'll alter that to some men in kilts wink

amothersplaceisinthewrong Sun 31-Jul-11 18:38:35

Dress was a huge meringue that added stones to her. Awful. Veil and Tiara nice and Zara has a beautiful smile.

Beatrice looked OK ish - but she really has a very unfortunate face. Eugenie is very pretty but in need of some help with her clothes. Fergie has got them a stylist according to Sunday Times.

nozmum Sun 31-Jul-11 20:45:20

Do you thin she could be pregnant? No actual bump, but she has got that glow.. would love it if she was.. royal baby fever!

belgo Sun 31-Jul-11 20:47:28

No I don't think she is pregnant, she says she doesn't want a baby until after the Olympics next year. Sensible girl.

Waswondering Sun 31-Jul-11 20:47:46

Think a pg would be bad news for Olympics training .... as there's less than a year to go: doubt Zara will think about it till after then.

(She says!!! Nowt to do with me ...........)

EightiesChick Sun 31-Jul-11 20:50:05

I'm going to assume, charitably, that Kate picked a fairly meh dress as an act of kindness, so that she wasn't upstaging the bride. It was probably the only way to miminise the inevitable attention that she would get.

Fergie has chosen her daughters' stylist? Bit like getting Helena Bonham Carter to pick your outfit for a big night out, surely?

MayDayChild Sun 31-Jul-11 21:00:56

Why is Zara not a princess? All the other grandchildren seem to be.
Help me out Royal fans...

diddl Sun 31-Jul-11 21:02:06

I think that the coat that Kate was wearing was quite "mother of the bride" & that the hat was anything but "meh"!

She often looks to me as if she tries too hard.

EdithWeston Sun 31-Jul-11 21:12:59

mayDayChild - see this thread which probably has the info you are after re Royal styles and titles.

bruffin Sun 31-Jul-11 21:15:17

"Why is Zara not a princess? All the other grandchildren seem to be. "

Because she is not a member of the male line and Princess Anne refused an honory title for either her or Peter.

"The maid of honour was her best friend Dolly Maude and the little page boy was Ted, Dolly's son and Zara's godson, as for the other bridesmaids I'm not sure"

from a news report

"Zara Phillips’ beautiful bridesmaids were Stephanie Phillips, Miss Phillips's half-sister, the daughter of Captain Mark Phillips and his second wife Sandy Pflueger, Nell Maude, Jaz Jocelyn and Hope Balshaw."

Nell Maude is Dollly Maudes daughter and Hope Balshaw was the best mans daughter.

MayDayChild Sun 31-Jul-11 21:19:19

Thanks Edith

EdithWeston Sun 31-Jul-11 21:28:51

So they do seem to be managing the blending of the families, with the legitimate half-sister as bridesmaid.

I saw pix of the Princess Royal and Capt Mark Phillips with Mr and Mrs Tindall - so looks as it the "exes function as parents" rule was the one that held good. I didn't see anything of the second husband and second wife.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now