Anyone else feel disappointed with the 'Duke and Duchess of Cambridge'

(23 Posts)
tinkypoo Sun 10-Jul-11 15:07:58

Just been reading nasty remarks re royalty...just shows no one under 30 has a clue about history, or they would know what the various titles mean. No cheers for state education!

ajandjjmum Sat 07-May-11 11:26:49

Mark Phillips was offered a title when he married Princess Anne, but turned it down as they wanted their children to be commoners. grin

pointydog Fri 06-May-11 17:59:01

No. I would guess that less than 1% of the population will be disappointed by this.

only by marriage ruby. she never had the title Princess Diana

meditrina Thu 05-May-11 23:07:01

And Princess Anne's approach is exactly in line with the male-dominant system. Her children do not have titles because Capt Mark Phillips, and royal styles are not passed down from females.

rubyrubyruby Thu 05-May-11 22:41:56

but Diana was a Princess.

Diana - Princess of Wales

this is true, in which case you should go ahead and call her Princess Kate grin

Really can't get worked up about it either way!

ajandjjmum Thu 05-May-11 16:27:41

thisisyesterday
I know you right, but the fact that Diana was never Princess Diana never stopped us from calling her that. smile

rubyrubyruby Thu 05-May-11 14:18:06

Princess only applies to countries not Cities

I like it - but then I live in Cambridge too.

but she isn't a Princess, so she won't ever have the title Princess Catherine

Oooh, can I be the Holder of the Sacred Teapot, please??? grin

ajandjjmum Wed 04-May-11 13:21:17

Prince and Princess sounds so much younger and more fun. Duchesses should be old and grumpy.

I did hear that a spokesman had said the Palace would be chilled (not exactly his words grin) if people referred to them as Princess Catherine and Prince William - can't imagine them have saying that a few years ago!

mandmsmummy Tue 03-May-11 12:41:19

ooh is that you Princess Kate?? Ha Ha xx

DuchessofCambridge Sun 01-May-11 21:46:36

I rather like it

onagar Sun 01-May-11 21:41:24

Maybe the answer is to give them more titles to make the point about how daft it sounds. grin

Duke of Cambridge. Lord of the Custard, Holder of the Sacred Teapot,...... add your own as required.

mandmsmummy Sun 01-May-11 21:33:03

I love it! But then I live in Cambridge!! grin xx

overthesea Sat 30-Apr-11 20:01:55

Well I just find the whole thing faintly ridiculous - all these Countesses, Duchesses, Viscounts etc. I have so much more admiration for Princess Anne's approach (and her kids are v grounded). I am actually not anti monarchy (as I think Presidents would be worse) but I do think there is no need for titles outside of King and Queen and possible Heir.

I really really dislike the forlock tugging that has been going on over the last few months amongst even apparently sane media people and members of the public.

LynetteScavo Sat 30-Apr-11 19:56:49

Really? Then why not knock the king and queen thing on the head too, and be done with it all.

well it's up to them isn't it?

i don't feel disappointed, cos i don't really care what they're called. does it really matter?

overthesea Sat 30-Apr-11 19:54:59

I don't know. Seems daft to call an ordinary girl from Reading HRH The Duchess of anything.

compo Sat 30-Apr-11 17:59:33

Er no, they aren't against tradition, they're part of all that crap now

overthesea Sat 30-Apr-11 17:56:56

I'd have much preferred it if Will and Kate had said "no thanks" to these aging/daft titles hmm and "we'll stick to William and Kate Wales" until we need to change to King and Queen.

Isn't this the 21st century?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now