does anyone in Scotland give a shit about the royal wedding?

(192 Posts)
ssd Fri 08-Apr-11 19:18:11

I don't am sick of it already

BelleDameSansMerci Fri 08-Apr-11 19:19:30

No idea but don't assume everyone in England gives a shit either... I certainly don't and neither does anyone I know.

ssd Fri 08-Apr-11 19:26:14

fair enough

TrinityIsABunnyMunchingRhino Fri 08-Apr-11 19:28:56

I dont give a shit

I dont know them

JollySergeantJackrum Fri 08-Apr-11 19:30:40

Nope.

Apparently in the whole of Aberdeen there are no street parties organised. Bit cold in Aberdeen in April for street parties anyway I suppose.

nethunsreject Fri 08-Apr-11 19:31:24

I am glad of an extra day off.

But really couldn't care less about it, no.

Choufleur Fri 08-Apr-11 19:31:59

there aren't many street parties organised in lots of place.

I care - means I get a day off to do something fun with DS. I'm in England though.

Granny23 Fri 08-Apr-11 19:33:18

No

helpmaboab Fri 08-Apr-11 19:33:50

Not all Scottish Councils have given a day off... so I'm at work at the kids are at school

haudyerwheesht Fri 08-Apr-11 19:36:25

I don't especially care to be honest. Not in a horrible way just in a meh way.

Not interested, and I don't even get the day off.

expatinscotland Fri 08-Apr-11 20:22:08

Not all councils have a bank holiday for it.

Can't say I really give a toss about it, personally, but I'm sure some do.

Caz10 Fri 08-Apr-11 20:24:42

I'm just happy about the day off!

And mildly curious about the dress, but if I don't see a pic (unlikely) I won't go looking for it iyswim.

Can't see that being Scottish has anything to do with it though!

My friend otoh has bought a new dress and is having people round!!

Aelfwyn Thu 28-Apr-11 11:17:42

Yes! smile

justhalfwaythere Thu 28-Apr-11 11:38:23

nope

Ormirian Thu 28-Apr-11 11:41:24

I'm in England and I don't give a shit. Neither do most people I know. MIL will be glued to the TV going 'Ooh' at the dress hmm. However I am very grateful to Will and Kate for an extra day off work ..... <compromises republican principles>

Not sure what we will be doing but it won't involve watching a couple of strangers get hitched.

NormanTebbit Thu 28-Apr-11 11:44:14

No one in Scotland gives a shit. Except Waitrose which has lots of useless Royal Wedding tat sitting on the shelves.

stirlingstar Thu 28-Apr-11 11:45:35

we've got a day off, which is nice - but many businesses and schools/nurseries round here are carrying on as normal

I thought i was completely non-interested but this morning managed to read about and subsequently discuss bride's request for TREES in the church (flowers not enough...) - so maybe we are a tiny bit interested. Maybe.

dustwhatdust Thu 28-Apr-11 14:16:33

what an UNPLEASANT lot you are !

hoarsewhisperer Thu 28-Apr-11 14:28:41

Why are so many people so sour and down on this event? I seem to constantly read in comments in the online sections of the newspapers about how "i dont care about some rich over priviledged types"...i think its a very very sad attitude not to care about another human being because they have maybe been more fortunate than we have. There is always someone in the world better off, and indeed worse off as well....i dont think hating one lot and pitying the other breeds any improvement in the world to be honest.

I am not a huge royalist, but here is 2 people about to get married. I wish them well and i am happy for him that he has found someone who loves him after the loss of his mother at such a young age. WHether i will watch the tv or not, the wedding will bring alot of tourism to the UK, not just tomorrow but for some time to come. Good luck to them both and personally i will be looking to see what her dress is like - just as i would watch any couple getting married in the village church as they come out - maybe i am just deeply nosey!

Ormirian Thu 28-Apr-11 14:31:31

Oh I wish them well, at least I don't wish them ill. I just don't choose to spend my day watching their wedding. Why is that sour?

Gooseberrybushes Thu 28-Apr-11 14:32:39

miserable buggers

what a rude thing to say

or are you saying look at me I'm different!

Fimbo Thu 28-Apr-11 14:34:48

St Andrews has a street party. Pil may be attending. I think if I was there I would hang a wee fling around St A's.

Gooseberrybushes Thu 28-Apr-11 14:35:53

"no one in Scotland gives a shit"

cannot wait for the SNP to get their way

hoarsewhisperer Thu 28-Apr-11 14:38:59

Why would i be saying i am different Goseberrybushes?

Ormirian - i'm not saying you are sour by not wanting to watch...I was asking a rhetorical question about many comments i read in the press by people who really are sour, and often quite unkind about 2 people they dont even know.

live and let live i say. I just dont get people anymore.....

Eglu Thu 28-Apr-11 14:40:04

DH was wondering this. He has decorated his shop a little bit, in a tongue in cheek way, but most shops in our town have done nothing. somebody did say to him that most shops in England are decorated.

I am not anti the wedding at all, just like others a bit meh about it. I am happy to have the day off work and be able to spend time in the sunshine with my boys though.

JemimaMop Thu 28-Apr-11 14:43:47

Can I extend that to Wales?

Apparently there have been no applications for street parties anywhere in my entire county. I don't think I know anyone who is even having a party in their house or garden. The DC haven't done much about it at school, and they are still on their Easter hols this week anyway. I am planning on using the day off to paint the kitchen and downstairs loo, although I might pop the TV on at some point to have a quick look.

Don't get me wrong, I wish them well. I'm just not all that interested in the wedding of two people that I don't know!

EdwardorEricCantDecide Thu 28-Apr-11 14:54:33

I can't wait but I'm the only person I know though, DH thinks I'm stupid grin

Aimsmum Thu 28-Apr-11 14:55:53

Someone in Scotland gives a shit, I saw a family buying loads of flags from a card shop in Glasgow this morning, although to be fair, they could just be going to a Rangers game!

NormanTebbit Thu 28-Apr-11 15:20:04

I don't know why I should care that they are getting married? Can someone explain in case I'm missing something? Why should I care?

What do you mean by 'SNP gets their way?' They are already in power in Scotland and it looks like they'll win again.

Gooseberrybushes Thu 28-Apr-11 16:45:39

Don't they want complete independence? Fingers crossed eh. That will be a good day.

expatinscotland Thu 28-Apr-11 16:48:34

'Glasgow this morning, although to be fair, they could just be going to a Rangers game!'

IIRC, there's an Old Firm match this afternoon.

Personally, I don't really give a toss about the wedding.

I also vote SNP.

NormanTebbit Thu 28-Apr-11 16:53:52

Do the Scots get to keep Balmoral?

<thinks about mortgage>

Gooseberrybushes Thu 28-Apr-11 17:42:21

Yes, you can have Balmoral and the oil, once you've paid us for the infrastructure.. fantastic.

NormanTebbit Thu 28-Apr-11 17:53:46

The infrastructure??? confused of Balmoral? Or the country? The tower blocks? ummm the mountains?

Can we keep Trident? Or would you like it on The Thames?

(Am English BTW grin)

MollysChambers Thu 28-Apr-11 17:59:27

"paid us for the infrastructure"

Hahahahaha

Twonk.

OP - I didn't think I gave a shit but DD's have been discussing in class and are now keen to watch so have bought some cake and we'll watch together.

magentastardust Thu 28-Apr-11 21:35:56

My dd had a royal wedding party at nursery today was very cute!
And for a change it's actually been a freakily warm April in north East Scotland-I know of a few people having tea parties and BBQs. Who knows maybe wills and Kate will pop up here to balmoral for a couple of days after honeymoon!

HumphreyCobbler Thu 28-Apr-11 21:38:32

there is a village party in my bit of Wales JemimaMop

scottishmummy Thu 28-Apr-11 21:52:00

no interest in it at all.sycophants gushing and media clichés all day

Gooseberrybushes Thu 28-Apr-11 22:37:06

of the oil

did you really think I meant Balmoral? seriously? is that what you thought Molly?

Come on - really?

EdwardorEricCantDecide Thu 28-Apr-11 22:51:19

Didn't the Tories sell britains rights to the north sea oil in 70/80s?
That's what I thought could be wrong though.

Gooseberry - why so touchy about Scotland? - genuinely interested.

fairylights Thu 28-Apr-11 23:00:06

I am in scotland and am having a wee royal wedding party tomorrow smile
think basically I like having an excuse for a party and do also like the sense that the nation is coming together a bit (my dh would be rolling his eyes about now.) But we are in Edinburgh and it is full of people from the home counties as far as I can tell so I'm not sure thats very representative.

K999 Thu 28-Apr-11 23:15:58

Lol at most folk from the home counties! I take it you don't live in Leith, Niddrie, Muirhouse, Porty etc etc....

Perhaps you live in Morningside, Bruntsfield, New Town?? grin

Gooseberrybushes Fri 29-Apr-11 07:35:17

why so touchy? oh I don't know -- "who in scotland gives a shit?" maybe had something to do with it? if you see yourselves as so separate good luck to you, be orf

hormonesnomore Fri 29-Apr-11 18:42:03

Gooseberrybushes, I'm a Scot living in England and can understand the meh attitude of a lot of Scottish people.

To Scots, the royal family are very remote, keeping their distance. They are seen by the majority as belonging to another country but being supported by the taxpayers of the entire UK.

Not surprisingly, Scots (and possibly Welsh & N. Irish) don't feel as connected to our royals as English people do.

That said, I enjoyed watching the wedding hugely, to my surprise smile

expatinscotland Fri 29-Apr-11 18:54:27

Saw a couple of banners in Gourock. Nothing else, though. Meh.

Am not Scottish nor English. Living in Scotland.

GitAwfMayLend Fri 29-Apr-11 19:01:12

My aunt's partner's mum (Scottish) is convinced she is the only person north of the border who is interested in the wedding in the slightest - she is spending the day with my aunt and her partner in order to get in the swing of things.

expatinscotland Fri 29-Apr-11 19:06:44

I can't abide weddings, though I've been married 3 times myself, and each and every time due to visa issues on one side or another, otherwise, I'd not have bothered at all. Weddings mostly make me want to be sick, so I've eloped to registry houses.

Hopefully, my own children won't want to marry or will elope. I'll have to get drunk to deal with the schmaltz of it all.

scottishmummy Fri 29-Apr-11 19:19:40

scots are different to english is that what you mean gBerry.

scotland has its own language,own parliament,own legislation, different degree education.

and in general scots dont much care for royal family,as borne out by general apathy to the wedding.

Gooseberrybushes Fri 29-Apr-11 19:39:54

oh please just get independence and be done with it

expatinscotland Fri 29-Apr-11 20:21:00

Independence would never have been given up if it weren't for a few choice English lords holding Scottish titles who sold it up behind the back of the populace.

fairylights Fri 29-Apr-11 21:10:05

K999 - sorry yes I was being a bit tongue in cheek about Edinburgh being full of people from the home counties grin I am English myself (not from the home counties!) and only been living here 7 months and have been surprised at at the number of us up here, even in our area - which is not as glam as the areas you mentioned.. but nice nevertheless. Clearly the majority of Edinburgh-ers (is that the term?) are scottish grin

TheCrackFox Fri 29-Apr-11 21:27:36

There was actually quite a few street parties in Leith. I had a great time. smile

expatinscotland Fri 29-Apr-11 21:43:29

'There was actually quite a few street parties in Leith. I had a great time.'

It's pretty Anglicized in Embra. Leith used to be, well, kind of rough (my husband and elder two children are Leithers). Then it got all 'up and coming' because it's close to town.

Was there a street party in Cables' Wynd? Or that Kirkgate Tower action? How about that slimy pub down the street from us in Queen Charlotte Street not the side going towards the Links?

FA here in Argyll. Unsurprising.

expatinscotland Fri 29-Apr-11 21:46:14

Port o' Leith pub hanging out big banners, then? I know Mary, anything to pull a quid. Eilidh, too. grin

expatinscotland Fri 29-Apr-11 21:49:36

Oh, yeah, the banana flats where SIL used to live, in Citadel Court. They didn't need any excuse to drink and do drugs there!

Then she moved to the Fort. Lots of royalists there, for sure.

wink

ssd Fri 29-Apr-11 21:51:55

the only official street party in Glasgow was cancelled due to lack of interest

good for us scots, we're not taken in by all the hysteria, we're more worried about the economy and the lack of jobs

expatinscotland Fri 29-Apr-11 22:10:52

Although there is no post today, DH used it as an opportunity to put his postal vote for the SNP into the postbox today.

scottishmummy Fri 29-Apr-11 22:11:44

haha,thta funny!where was it-spam valley?
the lenzie or bearsden wifies,whitecraigs?

BadPoet Fri 29-Apr-11 22:16:24

I'm in Scotland. I was hooked on the live coverage today and my mum came round for cucumber sandwiches, heart shaped scones and tea.

My friends in London have been posting FB photos all week of the preparations and it's been lovely to see.

So yes, I do give a shit.

expatinscotland Fri 29-Apr-11 22:20:41

It's all those people who got priced out of Bruntsfield and the entire New Town, SM, my guess is in the tenements around The Links. I somehow doubt it was in Great Junction Street near the Kirkgate or my shortcut (never at night, though) past St. Mary's near our former home and where I used to hear Mass with all the Poles, the HA flats in Queen Charlotte Street. Hibs territory.

Can't see it being anywhere near SIL, either (StewieGM knows where she stays).

scottishmummy Fri 29-Apr-11 22:23:13

i used to love near where you describing,near the albion!

TheCrackFox Fri 29-Apr-11 22:23:31

I've lived in Leith for over 10 yrs and me and DH are both Scottish and working class. I grew up in a council estate. smile

ssd Fri 29-Apr-11 22:24:44

sm shock

I thought you were an ex Glesga punter!

expatinscotland Fri 29-Apr-11 22:25:02

Had a really good day shopping, though. Shopping centre heaving, loads of folks out in Gourock. Scored some cool gear. Staff over and above - DD1 has D-width feet with a high instep. They got her well-fitted for dress shoes for upcoming parties and for when we go to America.

scottishmummy Fri 29-Apr-11 22:27:48

lived edinburgh few years-loved it.still pop over see ma pals

expatinscotland Fri 29-Apr-11 22:31:41

Where, SM? What street? We were in Queen Charlotte Street across from the private nursery in the HA flats.

DH was in Leith, Wardieburn, Royston and finally, the family got the HA house near Inverleith Church, where the DD's were christened and where FIL worked until recently (he is now retired), after SIL became a member of the family.

When we married, we were in Muirhouse, then we got the HA flat back in Leith. Best times of our life, really.

DH's birth, our marriage and the girls' births were all registered in Leith. We married there.

scottishmummy Fri 29-Apr-11 22:34:38

well,the albion was my local and giovannis for chipsgrin

QuickLookBusy Fri 29-Apr-11 22:41:34

Doesn't surprise me that some of you don't give a shit.

I lived in Scotland from the age of 11 to 21. The verbal abuse and bullying that me and other English students went through at school was awful. Nothing was ever done about it despite my parents going into school numerous times. My brother spoke like a born and bread Scotsman after about a month of moving there, as he kept getting beaten up for being English. He was 13 years old.

I'm not saying you are all racist, just that this horrible sniping about the English actually goes a lot further for some people. I have been wondering recently if the awful bombing going on won't at some point be aimed at English people as well as Catholics.

scottishmummy Fri 29-Apr-11 22:43:10

i know exactly where you mean expat.liked it around there good community feel

I think you are going a bit far there QuickLookBusy "awful bombing going on won't at some point being aimed at English people as well as Catholics" that is a ridiculous comment to make and very rude and almost makes you the racist!

I'm Scottish, live in Edinburgh, and took a great deal of interest in the wedding today as lots of people i know did, my house watched the whole thing all day, and not only am i proud to be Scottish, I'm proud to be British, my friend is English and she couldn't have gave a monkeys about it today!

ooo and also a leither here on this site, born and raised in Great Junction Street smile

Waswondering Fri 29-Apr-11 22:56:06

Yes -

Re the poster who mentioned Aberdeen - there were official street parties here and also multiple house parties too (most of my colleagues were hosting or attending parties!)

I was at a fabulous party today ... very exciting! smile

scottishmummy Fri 29-Apr-11 22:58:21

QLB,shame about the bullying.never right

BUT you are bandying some eomtive terms
"I'm not saying you are all racist" obvious implication being fair few are

and making some far fetched leaps,are you insinuating the scots will bomb the english

really you are being bitty ott,and bit offensive

QuickLookBusy Fri 29-Apr-11 23:04:51

It isn't a ridiculous statement Lisa

It is a statement based on my experience as an English person living in Scotland.

I was just stating that it wouldn't surprise me if the racisim directed at English by some people didn't spill over into becoming more violent.

And the bombings have drawn attention to what is actually going on in and aroung Glasgow[mostly], regarding the ridiculous way some people treat others not of their religion.

TheCrackFox Fri 29-Apr-11 23:07:45

The bombs were probably sent by some educationally sub-normal person who can't work out fact from fiction. Every country has its fair share of morons.

smallwhitecat Fri 29-Apr-11 23:09:51

Message withdrawn

scottishmummy Fri 29-Apr-11 23:10:27

tbh,the bombs are symptomatic of the auld firm and the bile it generates.secterianism is a bad problem esp west coast

not really fair to take a bad experience of bullying and suggest will be replicated by bombs to english folk

QuickLookBusy Fri 29-Apr-11 23:12:26

Scottishmummy, I was not making that implication at all. I meant what I said- I do not think you are all racist.

Again I am not "insinuating the scots will bomb the English" You are making a huge leap. I said "some people" may take it further.

scottishmummy Fri 29-Apr-11 23:18:19

youre bang out of order,and generalising wildly

dreadful you got jip for being english,yes it goes on.not disputing it at all but you know what you cant flip the situation as scots are like the bullies who were mean to you

QLB i understand you had a hard time here, what is going on in Glasgow and around areas of scotland,in the most has always gone on,it's just its never been so much in the public eye.
But all human beings are the same, regardless of borders and therefore it's just individuals who go wrong, its not the country they reside in that makes them that way. smile

smallwhitecat, really??! I can only but laugh at you, how ridiculous you are, you sound most civilised yourself of course hmm

QuickLookBusy Fri 29-Apr-11 23:31:08

I agree with you Lisa, I have never said that all Scots are racist or bullies.

I have said several times some people but that seems to have been totally ignored.

I am now a racist for talking about my experiences of racism hmm

scottishmummy Fri 29-Apr-11 23:35:25

look,you wrote a poorly composed post.quit the poor me,getting got at again

and lets be clear no one is calling you racist or attacking you
disagreement-thats different

so do please accept divergent views on a discursive thread,and dont make this out to be a poor you thang.it isn't

QuickLookBusy Fri 29-Apr-11 23:49:22

ScottishMummy "no one is calling you a racist"

I was called "almost a racist" after my first post!

scottishmummy Fri 29-Apr-11 23:54:03

you want vinegar with that chip?you seem to have lingering grievance

and no im not going to get going on this as i suspect it will amplify your feeling got at.even more

scottishmummy Sat 30-Apr-11 00:00:32

havent seen any wedding stuff,nor the dress.fastidiously ignoring it

which is bloody hard.no tv.got a box set going instead

EdwardorEricCantDecide Sat 30-Apr-11 00:13:42

I work in a call centre I'm scottish (my accent is noticeable but not hard to understand I annunciate and speak clearly) I have regularly (mostly by English men but some women been told that they don't want to speak to a Scottish person, want to speak to someone who speaks English and have been called a stupid Scottish bitch as have the majority of my colleagues.

My point ignorance can and does exist in every country at least u were bullied by kids who need to be taught, I get it from adults!

expatinscotland Sat 30-Apr-11 00:15:28

'I'm not saying you are all racist,'

Well, thank you for that, for I am American-born and lived there for the first 31 years of my life. I am 40 now.

My husband is Scots, my children are.

I don't give a rat's fat arse what you are.

Ooo, bullying. 6 years I've been on this board, hardly a week goes by without a thread about horrible America, horrible Americans. Mostly I just ignore it now. Not worth wasting my breath. I can tell you know, the apple didn't fall far from the tree in many, many respects, and human nature is inclined to denegrate that which is most like itself, so I see where it comes from. Doesn't make it bristle any less, from time to time.

It's okay, I'm Latina as well, I know racism.

I didn't street party because as much as I wish two random strangers much happiness, and see how some people are proud (I know I am of my own country) and my elder daughter was interested in it, I don't 'get' monarchy and never will. I don't hold truck with people who use 'nobilty' titles. I can't lie and say I wouldn't be disappointed somewhat if one of my own daughters married into such a family.

If that makes me a racist, well, I've been called worse. And I know in my own heart of hearts that I am not.

expatinscotland Sat 30-Apr-11 00:20:47

Oh, I've been handed the phone, many times, by my Scottish husband, 'They can't make out my accent.' Um, okay, then make out this, because I honestly don't give a toss where someone's from, but I do take it as a personal affront when it's just an I-can't-be-bothered-you're-Scottish, or that bullshit 'Highlands and Islands' surcharge when I sit 33 miles due west of fucking Glasgow because your company is just an ignorant bullshit lazy ass company (English people are Highlanders, too, thank you), because this is me and my kidds you're talking to and about.

EdwardorEricCantDecide Sat 30-Apr-11 00:24:33

Expat was that directed at me?
Don't really see what you're getting at I was pointing out that bullying/ignorance/racism whatever exists everywhere not just in Scotland as some posters hinted at.

expatinscotland Sat 30-Apr-11 00:24:35

Oh, yes, there's another thing. My old landlord's daughter, a native of Bute, got called all kinds of names working and living in Hertfordshire, it's just a joke, you know, don't be so serious. And her Afrikaans husband got it even worse (he's just a white racist pig who married 'some Jock' for a visa, you know).

I truly don't give a fig where someone's from. A git's a git.

expatinscotland Sat 30-Apr-11 00:25:12

It wasn't directed at anyone. If I direct a post at someone, I name him/her.

EdwardorEricCantDecide Sat 30-Apr-11 00:27:00

Ok sorry just thought as you mentioned companies and I was talking about call centres nevermind grin

EasterIgg Sat 30-Apr-11 00:31:11

There will never be a great out-pouring of royalist feeling in Scotland. Just like we don't vote tory. It's just the way it is.

EasterIgg Sat 30-Apr-11 00:31:11

There will never be a great out-pouring of royalist feeling in Scotland. Just like we don't vote tory. It's just the way it is.

expatinscotland Sat 30-Apr-11 00:31:32

I use Party Pieces, the Middleton's company, for all my kid's party needs. I used them before I knew what the hell they were. I got a catalogue and it looked and was a good deal.

I don't really give a damn where it's from, they have good products, good service, low delivery charges, package deals that are one-stop shopping that is particularly important for those of us living in rural areas with few shops, no Highlands/Islands surcharge, it's a good deal. I'm a Texan, a Southern person, I like value for money.

scottishmummy Sat 30-Apr-11 00:34:02

value for money kerching.i likey.a lot

expatinscotland Sat 30-Apr-11 00:45:43

Fast delivery, no hassles. I get a lot 'Highlands and Islands surcharge' so much that before I order online, and I have to do so a lot because there are next to no shops here, I research delivery charges and even ask if it's not clear. No problems if I ring them and get a little 'Stonewall' Jackson action (well, we all know how he wound up! grin) and they hear a very Southern voice, 'Oh, how lovely for you, you're ignorant bigots, just like East Texas, and that's my babies you're talking about, they don't sound a thing like me. Please pass me to your supervisor, my abject apologies for the hassle. Happy to hold the line now, if we get cut off, I'll just call you back.'

expatinscotland Sat 30-Apr-11 00:52:05

Works every time grin.

DH stands in awe. People here too often just sit and take it like a sucker and then whine about it. Dumb ass. Oh, hell no.

I get their names and find out their extensions on the phone. 'Why thank you so much, XYZ, my name is expat, we might be talking soon, oh, hopefully not and we just get this all squared away, but just in case, I have your exension. [chuckle]. Have a nice day!'

= don't fuck with me or I'll make your life hell till you're just busting to get rid of me even though I live in Scotland. I'll badger your book ass like a duck on a June bug.

Gooseberrybushes Sat 30-Apr-11 12:36:43

QLB doesn't sound racist at all. Speak as you find.

I think you really ought to renew your independence efforts. Can't you riot or something?

Oh Gooseberrybushes bugger off (Just speaking as i find) smile who has a massive chip on her shoulder about something huh?!

TheCrackFox Sat 30-Apr-11 16:46:47

Gooseberry, put down the Daily Mail now there's a Dear.

As an interesting aside papers like the DM, The Sun, Express all have Scottish versions which say equally unflattering things about the English. They find that stirring up national hatred seems to sell in England and in Scotland.

EdwardorEricCantDecide Sat 30-Apr-11 16:53:26

What Lisa and crackfox said.

Absolutelyfabulous Sat 30-Apr-11 16:56:28

My toxic MIL is a Scot who has voted Tory all her life.
Her equally toxic daughter was last spoken to by our family when she told my DH that, " We all hate the fucking English" despite his children and wife being such.
I encountered racism that was real and pernicious and just THERE in the five years I lived in Scotland. DH has lived in England for twenty and has never encountered any. He wouldn't live in Scotland again for millions.
Scotland will never vote for independence, more's the pity, because they know that England subsidises them to the tune of billions a year and you'd have to be a fool to try and go it alone without the wealth generated by England.
My in laws are anti English racists and they do it without even batting an eyelid. If you subsituted black or Jew for the word English when they speak, you'd drop dead of shock. And these are supposedly educated, middle class folk.

TheCrackFox Sat 30-Apr-11 16:59:31

2 people are not representative of millions of people.

I encountered comments in England. i didn't presume that 40 million people felt the same as a couple of idiots.

If you encounter racism, like with your MILs, then you have a duty to challenge them on it.

Absolutelyfabulous Sat 30-Apr-11 17:02:17

I said I lived there for five years and encountered it almost continuously, low level, drip, drip, drip.
Like any time in a pub in a rugby/football game where the anti- England comments were just vile.

TheCrackFox Sat 30-Apr-11 17:06:26

I wouldn't know about football or rugby as I don't actually like them. I certainly wouldn't go to a pub to watch them.

Again, your experience means everyone in Scotland hates the English.

My parents are both from Yorkshire and have strong accents but have lived here for 40yrs. They bloody love it here. All of my relatives are in Yorkshire and I get the piss taken out of me (not in a nice way) everytime I go and visit. Again, I don't presume everyone in England feels that way because to subscribe that view would be racist in itself.

TheCrackFox Sat 30-Apr-11 17:07:14

sorry, meant to say:

Again, your experience does not mean everyone in Scotland hates the English.

Absolutelyfabulous Sat 30-Apr-11 17:08:50

You genuinely don't think that there is some Anti- English feeling in Scotland?
Dh says when he was a kid you took it in with your mother's milk. It was always there.
Don't put words into my mouth, please. Of course not EVERYONE in Scotland hates the English. But plenty do.

TheCrackFox Sat 30-Apr-11 17:12:16

There is as much anti-English feeling in Scotland as there is anti-Scottish feeling in England.

I have enver heard anyone say anything bad about the English. I would challenge them because no one (but me) can slag off my parents.

TBH it sounds like your MIL is an arse.

BorisTheBold Sat 30-Apr-11 17:15:48

Jeez, this type of thread seems to turn up every week here recently and if you believed the vast majority of posters on each of these threads then all Scottish people are ill educted, leeching bigots getting at the poor, over-looked hardworking English.

FWIW, I'm Scottish and have lived in Hampshire for about 13 years and have had various comments ranging from gentle piss-taking to out and out abuse over this time. My brother and I were attacked when waiting for a taxi, because the bottle-throwing twats heard our Scottish accents and decided we were down here to take their jobs hmm. I've also been "jumped" on the way home from a night out (my first after the birth of my second daughter) by a lovely Hampshire girl because I was Scottish - and to make it worse, I was detained by the police whilst she walked off home because I retaliated and defended myself...blatently because she was a "local" and I wasn't!

However, I'm not stupid enought to believe that the numerous twats I've been subjected to are representative of Hampshire or England as a whole and I'm frankly amazed at the naivety of some of the posters on here who think that the actions of one individual should define the stance of an entire country!

Absolutelyfabulous Sat 30-Apr-11 17:16:51

So, the English support Anyone But Scotland, do they? hmm

BorisTheBold Sat 30-Apr-11 17:17:37

Yes, some do hmm

TheCrackFox Sat 30-Apr-11 17:18:12

Again Andy Murray's comments don't actually apply to every single Scottish person.

Eglu Sat 30-Apr-11 17:29:30

I would say it is much more likely for the Scots to support anyone but the English. IME the English just don't give a shit about Scotland to care either way.

Absolutelyfabulous Sat 30-Apr-11 17:36:58

Crackfox, are you a Scot living in England?

TheCrackFox Sat 30-Apr-11 17:55:44

No, I am Scottish living in Scotland. My parents are English but have lived in Scotland for 40yrs.

All my extended family live in Yorkshire or the Home counties.

hormonesnomore Sat 30-Apr-11 19:29:28

As I said before I'm Scottish & live in England.

My English ex-h & I used to live in Scotland & he was occasionally victimised.

His first experience was in a pub. It went like this -

'You English?'

'Yes'

'Where you from?'

'London'

'That's ok then.'

Him - hmm

I've experienced it here too - 'You people think you can come to England and take all our jobs' was one racist comment I was on the receiving end of.

It happens to us all <shrug> I have to say, although Scotland is in my blood and is my home, I love living in England - most people are tolerant, easy-going & welcoming.

And the weather is better smile

seb1 Sat 30-Apr-11 19:49:12

Well I watched several wedding type programmes and heard numerous people talking about the future King of England, so I assume all these educated people are unaware of existence of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, or are they indicative of the reverse relationship between arrogance and intelligence. Also we just don't do flags and bunting in Scotland at all.

Absolutelyfabulous Sat 30-Apr-11 19:57:55

Too wet and windy for bunting, Seb grin

Gooseberrybushes Sat 30-Apr-11 21:27:37

"There is as much anti-English feeling in Scotland as there is anti-Scottish feeling in England."

Rubbish. People in England don't care enough about Scottish people to hate them. They just tire of the boring predictability of Scottish bigotry against the English. Chip on the shoulder? snort no. Your forefathers had more guts than you. Now you just whinge whinge whinge and take the money anyway.

And what abfab said.

Absolutelyfabulous Sat 30-Apr-11 21:33:14

So true Gooseberry, so true.
We genuinely don't care if the Scots are part of the union but the Scots seem to care rather too much. Well, providing they can cling on to the Scotland weighted Barnett formula.
Personally, I'd bloody love to see England go for independence. We could lower taxes significantly, have superb public services and still be quids in.

scottishmummy Sat 30-Apr-11 21:35:29

snigger,youre trying too hard gberry.clichétastic

try subsidy junkie or whining scots,you omitted those in your rant. have you called anyone jock yet?

BorisTheBold Sat 30-Apr-11 21:36:43

grin @SM - you forgot "sweaty" too.

Gooseberrybushes Sat 30-Apr-11 21:37:03

Too true. But they'd join the euro, join Schengen, go cap in hand and we'd end up paying for them anyway.

scottishmummy Sat 30-Apr-11 21:38:24

ach go on.say subsidy junkie.you know you want to

Absolutelyfabulous Sat 30-Apr-11 21:40:10

We say whinging Scots in this house.

HTH grin

Gooseberrybushes Sat 30-Apr-11 21:40:27

subsidy junkie

enjoy

<shrug>

usually the truth hurts.. I guess here it just engenders a wee gloatie

scottishmummy Sat 30-Apr-11 21:41:29

kerching!house aye thanks for that
do you also watch jim davidson doing see you jimmy gags

Gooseberrybushes Sat 30-Apr-11 21:42:04

ha ha at rant

bless

you don't give a shit anyway

scottishmummy Sat 30-Apr-11 21:42:32

clickety click.dailymailtastic
knew you were busting to say that

Gooseberrybushes Sat 30-Apr-11 21:42:55

you seem to imagine I'm interested in Scotland beyond telling you to get to the barricades and get your independence quick as you like

let me disabuse you of your misconception

Gooseberrybushes Sat 30-Apr-11 21:43:44

aw

it's all so true you've had to fall back on the Daily Mail line

feeling a bit slow today?

Absolutelyfabulous Sat 30-Apr-11 21:43:46

You can get a free prescription for that stammer, scottishmummy.

scottishmummy Sat 30-Apr-11 21:44:35

haha im here for the clichés.like the inevitability of it all

Absolutelyfabulous Sat 30-Apr-11 21:45:16

The Scots just don't get that we just don't care enough about you to hate you. We are indifferent. You should try it some time.

Gooseberrybushes Sat 30-Apr-11 21:46:59

too inevitable - twas ever thus - Scots hate English and you hate that we don't care if you leave home - trouble is you're like a surly teenager - resent living with your parents but like the free meals and the clean sheets

scottishmummy Sat 30-Apr-11 21:49:17

of course scots dont hate english.youre trying too hard here.really

Absolutelyfabulous Sat 30-Apr-11 21:49:34

Gooseberry - perfect analogy! Love it - and so apt! grin

Gooseberrybushes Sat 30-Apr-11 21:51:27

am not trying at all

it's just not frightfully hard

scottishmummy Sat 30-Apr-11 21:52:44

abfab/gberry your irascible gurns about scotland are delicious
too juvenile and intellectually weak to be offensive
but funny in an embarrassed laugh kind of way

bring it on

Gooseberrybushes Sat 30-Apr-11 21:54:27

grin

"irascible gurns" - don't like it back atcha?

scottishmummy Sat 30-Apr-11 21:55:21

no,i do likey,thats the thing
like bad dad dancing.so bad its good

expatinscotland Sat 30-Apr-11 21:55:41

Oh, get over yourself, Goose, you're becoming a parody of yourself.

Gooseberrybushes Sat 30-Apr-11 21:56:39

sure, sure I believe you grin

go for your independence, you know you want it

Gooseberrybushes Sat 30-Apr-11 21:57:36

you get over yourself

"you don't understand, Scottish people are different"

por favor

Absolutelyfabulous Sat 30-Apr-11 21:58:27

I don't know about them, I bloody want it!

scottishmummy Sat 30-Apr-11 21:59:12

no,youre both funny.you couldnt make this up.dont stop

Gooseberrybushes Sat 30-Apr-11 21:59:52

maybe we could fight for them, they seem incapable grin

scottishmummy Sat 30-Apr-11 22:00:56

is that it?you can do better.come on

Gooseberrybushes Sat 30-Apr-11 22:02:10

no I don't think so, I think we're doing pretty well

haven't a word to say for yourselves in defence after all

scottishmummy Sat 30-Apr-11 22:02:56

i dont need to break sweat,youre the star turn hen.priceless

Gooseberrybushes Sat 30-Apr-11 22:03:40

Well I think that's dealt with the "don't give a shit"

now, I think we can all play nicely

scottishmummy Sat 30-Apr-11 22:04:42

ach now dont chuck your loofah out the bath yet
youve got bags more to say
im sure of it

Gooseberrybushes Sat 30-Apr-11 22:04:42

grin aren't I though?

almost feel sorry for you guys

Gooseberrybushes Sat 30-Apr-11 22:05:38

no I can't, it's like taking sweets from a baby

you've nothing to say in defence so I'll just take that as a stuck out bottom lip and go to bed

scottishmummy Sat 30-Apr-11 22:06:36

oh do elaborate.dying to hear this
let me put ma fag doon

scottishmummy Sat 30-Apr-11 22:06:58

oh do elaborate.dying to hear this
let me put ma fag doon

Gooseberrybushes Sat 30-Apr-11 22:07:59

yes do

get typing

stand up for yourself

scottishmummy Sat 30-Apr-11 22:08:37

defence.naw im defenceless to you social raconteur
really
youre that good

scottishmummy Sat 30-Apr-11 22:09:47

cant stand up.too pampered with english paid for subsidies
my legs have dissolved

Gooseberrybushes Sat 30-Apr-11 22:09:52

do you know what a raconteur is?

I think not

expatinscotland Sat 30-Apr-11 22:10:23

PMSL! You really couldn't make this up.

Keep going, Goosie.

scottishmummy Sat 30-Apr-11 22:10:40

its you hen,youre priceless

Gooseberrybushes Sat 30-Apr-11 22:10:49

oh I think that's what we call a wee gloatie

took a while coming but there it is

Gooseberrybushes Sat 30-Apr-11 22:11:45

actually I had a little PMSL at your swearing and "my DH stands in awe of me"

scottishmummy Sat 30-Apr-11 22:14:03

ach typical.need an english lassie to show us funny
on you go then
fags doon,glaikit faces on
bring it on

Gooseberrybushes Sat 30-Apr-11 22:15:12

you must be running on empty, you keep repeating yourself

have a little think and you might find something else to say

Gooseberrybushes Sat 30-Apr-11 22:16:37

now, I'm off, so you can talk about me when I'm gone

oh, will they won't they? so exciting

expatinscotland Sat 30-Apr-11 22:17:33

Not as big a laugh as I've had out of you on this thread, Goosie. You missed your calling, your talent is wasted here. You could have the dead laughing with your comedic genius.

scottishmummy Sat 30-Apr-11 22:17:38

its hard- im so used to sittin aboot on ma pamered scottish arse waitin for english to do something for me

expatinscotland Sat 30-Apr-11 22:19:16

I know, SM. It get so boring, eating haggis, drinking whisky and going to fitba matches all the time, just spinning out time till our next, fat monetary contribution from English taxpayers . . .

BorisTheBold Sat 30-Apr-11 22:20:18

I've got an English DP - he does loads for me, must be in my pampered Scottish blood...

scottishmummy Sat 30-Apr-11 22:21:58

and did i mention our nhs gets more per head than england
mind you we need a sit doon after a deep fried pizza and irn bru
for breakfast

scottishmummy Sat 30-Apr-11 22:23:34

good on ye boris hen,english man runnin aboot after you
us lardy scots are born chancers we take piss were we can

expatinscotland Sat 30-Apr-11 22:25:59

Aw, it took its ball and went home.

Absolutelyfabulous Sat 30-Apr-11 22:26:24

Scottishmummy, DH's aunt sends us cards where she " talks" in a comedy Scots accent.
It might be funny if she wasn't Morningside through and through.grin

scottishmummy Sat 30-Apr-11 22:26:54

best take ball,our sponging scots will take it and sell for a bag o grass

scottishmummy Sat 30-Apr-11 22:30:13

see abfab thats scots for you,not funny and fake
hope you get over her attempts at humour
how very bloody dare she

Absolutelyfabulous Sat 30-Apr-11 22:33:26

She's an auld cow SM so I'm happy not to get her sense of " humour". And if she makes one more " joke" about did we bring our passports when we go up, I'll throttle her with her comedy tam and ginger beard.
When I've finished with MIL and her obsession with thrusting Scottish tenner sunder English shopkeepers noses and demanding aggressively if they , " Take legal Scottish tender down here."

BorisTheBold Sat 30-Apr-11 22:34:44

Sorry didn't reply sooner SM, was jackin' up in the bog ken.

scottishmummy Sat 30-Apr-11 22:37:12

aye well plenty auld cows in scotland and thats just me
ignore her

Absolutelyfabulous Sat 30-Apr-11 22:37:57

Fur coat and nae knickers, so she is grin

scottishmummy Sat 30-Apr-11 22:40:06

but darlin its such a good look,never fails me

seb1 Sun 01-May-11 14:00:24

Gooseberrybushes/Absolutelyfabulous for 2 people who don't care you seem to have wasted rather a lot of time and energy on something you don't care about hmm. Perhaps you require some purpose in your life other than bitterness.

What seb1 said smile

Gooseberrybushes Sun 01-May-11 17:09:22

it was fun, I didn't mind it at all

no, not bitter hmm does one have to be bitter about bigotry to dislike it? I don't think so, I think one can just dislike it really

Gooseberrybushes Sun 01-May-11 17:23:41

just read back.. little bit more than a wee gloatie there, definitely you know which side yr bread is buttered

K999 Sun 01-May-11 18:37:56

I'm Scottish, and pro independence for Scotland....and for England too! smile

r0zebud Sun 01-May-11 21:57:49

I gave a shit! I had my mates round, plonked the bambinos down with toys and prayed for silence! We had a cracking day smile Can't bear to take my flags and decorations down yet, maybe tomorrow!

poppyswill Sun 01-May-11 22:35:27

Who cares! My daugher and I had a great day in London with the Royals and very proud of it too! !!! If people in Scotland don't want to celebrate what difference does it make - couldn't care less, same as you! They looked gorgeous all of them! Rock on the royals and having a rocking royal time! PROUD PROUD PROUD!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now