Kate Middleton should have had a job.

(165 Posts)
MoralDefective Wed 17-Nov-10 16:27:08

AIBU to be bemused and a bit dissapointed that after years of expensive education that Kate Middleton has never had a proper job.
What a shame that an apparently intelligent young woman has spent the last (7?) years since university seemingly waiting to get married.
It makes me wonder why she went to university in the first place.
Such a waste of opportunities and good fortune.

RitaLynn Wed 17-Nov-10 17:45:25

No-one's denying she since leaving university about six years ago, she worked for less than a year at Jigsaw, and she's been doing some part-time work at home with the family. As for the latter job, we don't know what she really does, but the impression gleamed is that it's one that doesn't seem too strenuous and she can drop at any notice.

anonandlikeit Wed 17-Nov-10 17:45:41

Off to dust off my hat for the big day

LoopyLoops Wed 17-Nov-10 17:46:49

DH and I had this discussion last night. I was wondering what she would have done if he hadn't proposed, DH made a good point. Selling her story would set her up for life. Why would she bother working? (Apart from self-respect, of course).

EdgarAirbombPoe Wed 17-Nov-10 17:49:12

Add message | Report | Message poster lilyliz Wed 17-Nov-10 16:58:21
checkout at ASDA would have been good,shown her real life and for good measure night shift when the drunks and junkies come in.

i did night tills at tescos for a bit...i don't think that part of my life was any more 'real' than any other part..actually the sleep deprivation gave it a slightly unreal quality....

basically i think this is a bit of a wank angle to take because

1) SHE DID HAVE A JOB
2) one i'd have quite liked to do (accessories buyer - oh yes!)
3) the thing that prevented her career progressing was the media attention.
4) having education does not oblige you to do anything particular with it.

Bonsoir Wed 17-Nov-10 18:00:14

I think it is very odd that some posters think Kate Middleton has wasted her education. She did a degree in History of Art, which is hardly a professional training, just a general arts degree which must have been very enjoyable and a good cultural basis for life (particularly useful for a future Queen of England, I would have thought).

What I really think a pity is that Kate Middleton isn't a bit more worldly-wise. Accessories buyer for Jigsaw and working in her family firm sound quite dull to me.

EdgarAirbombPoe Wed 17-Nov-10 18:11:06

from the perspective of a graduate that went into retail, the 'buying' side of things was definitely one of the harder jobs to get, and is v. desirable.

I got retail management which is...less desirable.

buyers normally get shed loads of freebies, are courted by suppliers, and don't have the crap that people at the sharp end of the business get (ie, working weekends, long hours, customers...)

CamperFan Wed 17-Nov-10 18:12:23

i thought she was a buyer at Jigsaw? i would love that job!

But, seeing as neither of them has ever really had proper jobs, who pays the wedding?

I bet that is what the tories are bankrupting the country for. wink Less tax credits and benefits so that royals from all over the world, and outer space too, I bet, can come and celebrate the lovely poshies.

SweetKate Wed 17-Nov-10 18:20:32

She did have a job as a buyer at Jigsaw but the media intrusion made it unworkable for her and her colleagues (a friend of a friend also worked there at the same time). She has worked for her parents but also has had to be on call when Wills has needed her to be. Think she has been in an untenable position for the last 6 or so years TBH.

IWouldNotCouldNotWithAGoat Wed 17-Nov-10 18:22:42

I don't think her education is wasted because she isn't working 60 hour weeks at Deloittes, more that she seems to have spent her 20s shopping and having her hair done, which I think is a colossal waste of the opportunities she has had to travel or work at an art gallery or do her Masters.

Bonsoir Wed 17-Nov-10 18:25:23

Yes, there are a lot more interesting things she could have done! Why didn't she learn some languages or do a masters in International Relations?

piscesmoon Wed 17-Nov-10 18:25:41

I can't believe how judgemental people are! I don't think that anyone life would stand up to public scrutiny-I'm sure that mine wouldn't.

anonandlikeit Wed 17-Nov-10 18:28:55

But why is a job the most important thing in the world, if I had enough money to do all the things in life I enjoy i'd retire tomorow.

She has worked p/time, not claimed benifits, not harmed anyone - she's hardly public enemy no1 is she.

There is more to life than a job, we should not all be defined & jusged by our employment - a little bit shallow & judgemental i think.

IWouldNotCouldNotWithAGoat Wed 17-Nov-10 18:30:35

But Anon, she hasn't done bloody anything, not just not worked!

She must have ample opportunities to support charities but I've never heard of her doing anything like that.

MollieO Wed 17-Nov-10 18:35:56

Richard Branson's dd is using her training - she is heading up virgin health business. So not completely wasted.

anonandlikeit Wed 17-Nov-10 18:36:58

So, who knows how she spends her days? Because we have never heard about it doesn't mean she isn't involved in charity work, surely she would be accused of trying to create a do-gooder image. She can't win!

Maybe she has never done a days charity work in her life , again who knows -still doesn't amke her a bad person!

Maybe she enjoys shopping, getting her hair done & spending time wiht her boyfriend - sop
unds like a normal 20 something year old to me.

She can't win, give her a break.

piscesmoon Wed 17-Nov-10 18:37:35

I wouldn't do the job she is going to do, for all the tea in China! Always on display, never off duty, never gets Christmas with her family etc etc and gets constantly criticised by all and sundry-damned if she does and damned if she doesn't-a dire job!

so if she has been spending the last 8 years spending money, looks like she has been in training for her future role? wink

galletti Wed 17-Nov-10 18:41:06

Well, maybe she should have had one - even though she has been 'working' in the parent's company.

But now, well, after the wedding, or maybe even before, she will be using her education/intelligence working for charities etc.

And as for a 'waste of opportunities/good fortune' - I would say the opposite was true - she has used them to the hilt!

AliGrylls Wed 17-Nov-10 18:42:08

It's obvious what she has been doing for the past 7 years - grooming herself to be Princess Catherine. I am sure it is a full-time job in itself.

didldidi Wed 17-Nov-10 18:43:36

"had to be on call when wills needed her"
er why? i thought she was his girlfriend not is p.a.!

mathanxiety Wed 17-Nov-10 18:43:59

Maybe better not to hog a job that someone else might actually need? And if she had had more of a career, she would be heavily criticised for either giving it up or keeping it up...

A bit more education, as Bonsoir suggests, might have been a good idea, but her role will be the production of an heir and the adequate fulfillment of her royal duties, charity patronage, all very harmless stuff, not sitting in on cabinet meetings or writing editorials after all.

Most of the people in the set her family aspires to don't have 'jobs' as such. There's a whole stratum of society peopled by 'part-time party planners' -- not actually doing anyone any harm, not exactly making enough to pay rent, but perfectly acceptable for people who don't really need the salary.

theywillgrowup Wed 17-Nov-10 18:46:09

see where your coming from BUT atleast she has been working whether family buisness,from connections etc

what about Philip Greens daughter,richard Bransons son should they shelf stack just to prove how normal they are

she could of done alot less,and my god she will earn her position in many ways from now on being in the "firm"

5DollarShake Wed 17-Nov-10 18:52:37

As a feminist, I'm happy as long as she is choosing to do what she wants to do.

What good is feminism and women's rights if we're dictated to and judged by other women as to what we should do??

imgoingtobequeen Wed 17-Nov-10 18:55:44

it is hard work, always looking lovely, always performing.
Working for the family business is no walk in the park either.
You are all so mean!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now